• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[necro]Sell me on OneDice?

swammeyjoe

Validated User
Would anyone mind discussing the abilities/powers available for characters in the Urban Fantasy game? As well as how players can choose which powers they have? I looked online but couldn't find any discussion of it.

Private Eye

Private Eye
Validated User
Hi there, I'm the author of OneDice Urban Fantasy and happy to answer questions.

At character creation you get the option to choose a supernatural or magical ability (or you can play a normal if you wish). The options are Were-creature, Fae-Blooded, Magical Heritage, and Natural Gift. Each confers specific abilities (or choices). so Fae-blooded get things like long lived, access to Fae magic, and also some disadvantages in the form of bans and dependencies. Magical heritage gives access to two forms of magic (one being major, one minor). Natural gifts include things like breathing underwater, dark vision, the sight and so on (to represent some supernatural ancestor of family connection)

Magic comes with two separate options - one is a simple spell list system with each type of magic having it's own list of spells, similar to the system in OneDice Fantasy. The second is a more freeform system with characters having access to bodies of knowledge such as the Book of Enoch or the Key of Solomon. They can then build their effects from their areas of knowledge so you can set a small fire, or create a great conflagration - providing you can succeed against the increased difficulty roll.

The assumption is that most characters will have some supernatural ability or gift

swammeyjoe

Validated User
Awesome that sounds pretty good. I'll probably pick up the pdf. I'm debating between Dresden Files Accelerated and this for an Urban Fantasy game.

Could this handle Vampire PCs? What about a Scion of a God? Are there Super Strength / Speed type abilities to represent more powerful creatures?

Private Eye

Private Eye
Validated User
I put vampires in as foes only (also mummies, demons etc) as I wasn't looking for a WoD feel - they would be simple enough to adapt as player choices I guess. Stronger is on as natural talent (+2 to Strong). I would use natural talent or magical heritage if I wanted the scion of a God. Maybe long lived + stronger, or the sight plus space-shifting. The best thing about OneDice is it's so easy to adapt - if you want more powerful character just allow them to choose two supernatural/magical abilities, or add stuff from the other books (there are some basic superpowers in OneDice Universal and details of spirits, old gods and their summoning in OneDice Robin Hood for example)

Narmer

Validated User
OneDice Hauntaway includes skins for playing as Supernatural Exterminators, Meddling Kids (with pet), Teen Slayers, and even playing as spooks. It is in a humerous tone, and includes notes for combining it with OD Urban Fantasy.

OD Winter of the World is very good if you like the Michael Scott Rohan books and really shows off the potential of the OD system.

Now if Ken would just finish OD Space...
The Teen Slayers skin for Hauntaway, is it in a humorous vein or does it skew more serious?

And, yeah, about OneDice Space....

DavetheLost

Validated User
OneDice Space has some fun aliens. Like the Chor. "The Chor are a medium-sized spider-like race with ten legs and four eyes, known for some unusual social customs, such as eating a trader or diplomat should they not reach an outcome seen as fair for all sides." The Chor are available as PCs and are not considered one of the "bad guys" of the setting. Also included are rules for spaceships, three eras of galactic evolution and more.

Top Bottom