• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[necro][Sixth World] It's basically done!

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User
Hurray! I've been helping Chris Clouser work on his Sixth World game, which is a hack of Shadowrun using the Dungeon World system! We've basically finished the main bulk of the game, and all that's left is balance and stuff, which just requires playing

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/986437/sixth_world.pdf

It contains:

-10 Archetypes to play as (Adept, Face, Ex-Cop, Hacker, Mage, Mercenary, Rigger, Shaman, Street Doc and Street Samurai) and 5 metatypes (Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orks, Trolls), each with unique moves
-Details on Hacking and the Astral
-Bunches of equipment, ranging from loads of guns to vehicles and magical foci
-A ton of spells, totems and spirits
-Rules on stating out Sprawls and their city Districts, and Wildernesses and their Zones

All wrapped up in a quick and easy system that can get you to start playing as quickly as possible!

Hope you guys can take a look! I helped a bit, but Chris really put his back into this

TheDrunkenMonk

Unfocused third eye
Re: [Sixth World] It's basically done!

Mostly because it's on my mind after the watermarks thread rather than actualy caring, but are you sure you're clear in the copyright sense on this?

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User

Mostly because it's on my mind after the watermarks thread rather than actualy caring, but are you sure you're clear in the copyright sense on this?
I have no idea, really. I see no problem as long as we are not profiting from it, which we are not. We've also given attribution to the various companies involved with both DW and SR, and we also put in unique mechanics that set it apart from both systems.

Now whether the company, either FASA or Catalyst or Topps, sees a problem, that's a different story. But I feel we are safe enough and enough of no-names that we don't need to worry

Nifft

Five Cent Convolution

Neat!

Thanks for doing this, it looks pretty cool so far.

Mock

Force 5 Wrongnado
Validated User

Well, Dungeon World is released as creative commons / attribution, so as far as the Dungeon World rules and rules structure goes, I have the ability to remix and reuse it, assuming that I've attributed the game in the manner the original author specifies.

The concepts behind Shadowrun (as in, the cyberpunk world with magic, a worldwide VR system, and so forth) don't strike me as an issue. On the other hand, I do use a lot of familiar names and words (things like "Astral Space", "Essence" or "HK 227" or "Ingram Smartgun"). They're basically labels, however--I am not reproducing sections of the Shadowrun text in association with them (although obviously, using them is reproducing words from the Shadowrun books). Of course, I am not going to stand my ground if told to stop; I'll just stop.

Last edited:

Antinomian Tendencies

Social Justice Bard
Validated User

Very nice! I read the v8 draft version when we were setting up the PBP game, but I'll give this one a read later this weekend in case there's any new stuff in there. Cool beans!

Mock

Force 5 Wrongnado
Validated User

Very nice! I read the v8 draft version when we were setting up the PBP game, but I'll give this one a read later this weekend in case there's any new stuff in there. Cool beans!
Yeah, it's...pretty different. It's like version 23 now (some of those are "goddamn typo" revisions, but some are substantial additions).

TheDrunkenMonk

Unfocused third eye

Of course, I am not going to stand my ground if told to stop; I'll just stop.
If you do happen to be in the wrong here that's not going to help much, seems like the kind of thing you should probably have taken advice on before beginning. I do support you completely however, it would be a better hobby if we could just hack settings to order! Witness the flourishing of creativity around HP Lovecraft's work being in the public domain for example. Good luck with it anyway!

Top Bottom