• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[necro] Tell Me of Tom Kratman...

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Harper

Likes Tomboys
Validated User
Or, more specifically, tell me if he really is as much of a Neanderthal as his plots and author's notes seem to indicate.

Yeah, I know. From the gist of my first sentence it seems that I've all ready made up my mind. Sometimes I look at one of his books and it seems interesting at first glance, but then I read the synopsis in the cover jacket or the back of the book, or I flip to the back of the book and read his notes and I just go 'gah' and put it back on the shelf.

So tell me - is he worth the time and effort, despite my initial reactions, or am I right in not bothering?

Cheers,

Jeremy arper

Rowsdower

Validated User
Re: Tell Me of Tom Kratman...

I've only read "A State of Disobedience" so I can only comment on that. It's been a few years, but my recollection of the book was it was so-so, but the preaching in the book was rather ham-fisted.

It was his first novel, so he may have gotten better at that. Or not. (shrug)

ascendance

Frisky Fresco

Watch on the Rhine is epic in the scope of it's tastelessness and it's awfulness. It's worth reading because it's such a train wreck.

You know David Hayter's claim that the Watchmen will bend you over a pool table? Well, Watch on the Rhine succeeds at doing this.

Albert

Validated User

If you're on the left you'll hate what he has to say. The fundamental axioms that he reasons from will often be quite alien to your own.

That said, don't make the mistake of thinking him stupid, especially at a Con. You could easily end up looking like a fool to the undecideds in the room if you try to take him on.

-Albert

Ithaeur

Relic Unicorn
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Or, more specifically, tell me if he really is as much of a Neanderthal as his plots and author's notes seem to indicate.
Having encountered him on the Usenet, and on some blogs and forums, I think he's just as bad as he seems to be, if not worse. Don't give the bastard a penny.

J Harper

Likes Tomboys
Validated User

Watch on the Rhine is epic in the scope of it's tastelessness and it's awfulness. It's worth reading because it's such a train wreck.

You know David Hayter's claim that the Watchmen will bend you over a pool table? Well, Watch on the Rhine succeeds at doing this.
I've heard about this book. The one where SS stormtroopers are revitalized to help fight alien invaders, right?

Besides the obvious, what was awful about the book? I'm curious to know.

Cheers,

Jeremy Harper

J Harper

Likes Tomboys
Validated User

If you're on the left you'll hate what he has to say. The fundamental axioms that he reasons from will often be quite alien to your own.

That said, don't make the mistake of thinking him stupid, especially at a Con. You could easily end up looking like a fool to the undecideds in the room if you try to take him on.

-Albert
Good thing I don't go to cons, then. Even if I did, I wouldn't be interested in picking fights with people, even if they are political Neanderthals.

Are you talking from personal experience when it comes to Kratman?

Cheers,

Jeremy Harper

J Harper

Likes Tomboys
Validated User

Having encountered him on the Usenet, and on some blogs and forums, I think he's just as bad as he seems to be, if not worse. Don't give the bastard a penny.

Yeah, I noticed. I was doing a little googling on him last night, and noticed he seemed rather venomous, rude and arrogant in several places.

Cheers,

Jeremy Harper

Sharrukin

Validated User

I've heard about this book. The one where SS stormtroopers are revitalized to help fight alien invaders, right?

Couldn't say whether there was any awfulness in the plot aside from the obvious consequences of the premise. Never read it.

Did, however, read the extensive author's notes. Kratman lost me once and for all about the time that he started claiming that anyone who failed to support Bush Administration foreign policy in every detail was a traitor to Western Civilization and should be treated as such. This, as I recall, was at the height of the Iraq War and not too long after things like Gunatanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib were public knowledge.

I have seen him rant at length about how, as a former military officer, he would never criticize the President because to do so would be treason. I idly wonder how he feels about that position now, but I can't be arsed to go find out. The man's not important enough to worry about his positions, except as they reflect a certain lunatic fringe of the American conservative movement.

ascendance

Frisky Fresco

How about the scene where the surviving remnants of the IDF join the SS and form the Judas Maccabeus Division, putting on SS uniforms and pinning on SS regalia? Or the scene where it's revealed the the sympathetic viewpoint character, who was once part of the SS, deserts the French Foreign Legion after Dien Bien Phu, joins the IDF as an act of repentance, marries a nice Jewish girl, and converts to Judaism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom