• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Necro] What were arcades like?

nonsense

Hey Nonny-Nonny
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: What were arcades like?

And as for the money... you just didn't play quiet as often as you do now that the big exciting games are fixtures in our homes. I usually went with a friend and $10, got a roll of quarters, and we played until we'd either burned through our money or were just ready to leave.
Pretty much, yeah. The last gasp around here were arcades where you paid by the hour and had unlimited free play, but at that point interest had waned a fair bit.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User

*cracks her old bones*

Yeah, a lot was explained here. They were places that you stood around with your friends, surrounding whatever games were big then. It could be Street Fighter II(the original II, that is), or Altered Beast, or Golden Axe, or the Ninja Turtles beat-em-up, Double Dragon, or the Play Choice 10s(arcade games that let you put in quarters for time and play one of 10 Nintendo games) that were sometimes about. Or Gauntlet. You stepped in gum a lot, occasionally took breaks to go get pizza, and then came back to blow more money.

Sometimes we had little houserules, but nothing really much. Though people who were button-mashers in fighting games tend to get bad reputations. Sometimes there were queues to play the new hot game, indeed.

Some games were large, and you could sit down in them to play; many of these were flying(Afterburner), or Driving(Hang-On), types, for some examples.

And they could add up. I don't want to know how much I've spent in arcades, gods.

But they were a great thing at the time. I remember seeing them close one by one(I was living in the US at the time.) The arcade was the place we went before we went to go play D&D for the night.

Goddamn. I'm with the rest in this thread and christ I really do feel old. :p Almost as old as when I try to realize that 1990 was almost 20 years ago.

They were big in the 80s, toned down a bit, were big again mid-late 90s but then all but vaporized slowly. As the home systems got better and better, and the games better and better, there was less and less need to go out, even though we missed them.

Some stuff that ate quarters:

-Gauntlet I, for sure.
-Double Dragon, until I mastered it and could go through in one shot. (The ''bragging rights'' of the beat em ups came from beating them on as few quarters as possible.) I managed to have Golden Axe 1 and Altered Beast down to a science as well.
-In the early 90s, Street Fighter 2 indeed.
-The Play-Choice 10 around the late 80s, since it ran on time.
-Of course, we played Karate Champ before Street Fighter 1 even came out. I still remember the digitized ''Half Point!'' like it was yesterday.

Last edited:

Karanov

GAIA subsystem
RPGnet Member
Validated User

In my experience Arcades were rarities... these amazing centres of entertainment that would only rarely be available. And when you were there you wouldn't be able to play the games you wanted to thanks to the rows in front of them.

Despite that I had an awesome few afternoons playing Mortal Kombat 2 near a camping in Scotland and plenty of hours playing Virtua Fighter 3 at an arcade in Utrecht, the Netherlands. At least until the owner figured out slot machines were more profitable. :mad:

John W Mangrum

Validated User

And Rampage.
When I was a kid, I loved Rampage, and the only machine I had any access to whatsoever was at one of the many arcades at the Rhehoboth Beach boardwalk, which my family would visit for day trips once, maybe twice per summer.

One year, my feet barely touched the sand. I went armed with $20 in quarters and didn't leave the machine till I'd run out.

durecellrabbit

Validated User

It does sounds kinda fun. It's hard to imagine Altered Beast being a popular though.

Sharon MacGuire

Validated User

It does sounds kinda fun. It's hard to imagine Altered Beast being a popular though.
It was a New Game. And one No One Had Beat. The allure when there weren't all that many games out there is hard to grasp these days.

Anyone else old enough to remember standing in line for Space Invaders, Galaxian, Qix, and Pac-Man? Or better yet... Remember when they put the three coloured plastic in the Space Inavaders machine so it was in colour on the screen? :eek:

Or when Defender came out... <wistfully hobbles off for her Geritol>

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User

I remember when Pac-Man came out; though I was quite young then. I still stood on a stool to play it, though. :D

And the days of Vector-graphics, like Tempest.

Obed Marsh

Roll to resist disquiet
Validated User

At some places, kids lined up quarters across the marquee. It made it easier to get in line if there was a crowd around the game-- just stick your quarter or token up there. It made it so you could see from across the room that Zaxxon would not be available for the remainder of the evening as quarters would be lined up almost across the marquee. Normal games might have 3 tops at any given time. I think even Karate Champ only had 3 at a time when it first came out, and I played the shit out of that game.

At one arcade, the most popular games had a TV feed on top of the cabinet so that people could watch-- the crowd around the cabinet made it impossible to see otherwise. They did this with Dragon's Lair and Punch Out.

Top Bottom