• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Necro] What were arcades like?

Imaginos

the one you warned me of
Validated User
Re: What were arcades like?

A local rule we had on Street Fighter II was the no-dizzy hits. If you got the other guy dizzy, you back off and let him recover. And if someone violated it, they got swarmed when they played.

Codename: Omega

Banned

Gods, I don't even want to know how much money I blew on Mortal Kombat and Darkstalkers and... that N64-based one that had the skeleton with swords called Spinal as a character (don't think it was Darkstalkers...?). (EDIT: Killer Instinct, that was it!)

There was an awesome sit-down-in-a-cockpit type thing called Starblade that they had a the Trocadero in London, that was brilliant.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User

that N64-based one that had the skeleton with swords called Spinal as a character (don't think it was Darkstalkers...?).
Killer Instinct. :D My Saberwulf was pretty bangin' at the time.

EDIT: Heh, edited as I answered.

Matthew

SquareMans
Validated User

Arcades were magical. I know of no other way to describe it.

I can't think of anything modern to compare them to. They were typically in big dark rooms. They were cool and they had a unique smell. They didn't smell at all bad, it was a mixture of a bunch of different smells, like cleaner and plastic and ozone.

When you entered, it was like going into another world. A world that belonged to you. Most of the arcades I went to were in a mall, and I went to arcades between the ages of 7 and 15, so I was there about half the time with my mom. If you've ever been 8 and gone clothes shopping with your mom, you know that going into a clothing store is also like entering another world, but one decidedly not for you. Thank god for arcades. When I was 6, there were no arcades, and going to the mall with my mom was awful.

There was this constant barrage of sound, bleeps and bloops of every kind. Back then, all the sound, even the music, had a "bleep bloop" quality to it. A modern video game sounds basically like whatever it's simulating. It sounds like a movie, essentially. Even games based on movies had the "bleep bloop" version of the movie's soundtrack.

The games were big. This is something nowadays (I mean, there are still arcades, but do people go to them?) I miss. My PSP plays all the games I played in the arcade and it weighs about 6oz. The same game in the arcade was bigger than I was! Big TV screen, big cabinet. And the cabinet had ART, actual illustrations! Those were great. They added to this sensory experience. You felt like these games were substantive, because they were contained in these huge (to me) cabinets. Nothing could be further from the truth now.

The process of walking through the arcade was literally wonderous. Of course, you pretty quickly learned to take it for granted. But you were surrounded by a myriad of different games. No arcade ever had every game, so it might be 1982 and you'd be wandering around an arcade and find a game from 1978. It was amazing. The variety of games was pretty incredible. In many ways, there were not yet established genres. Every game was singular. There was nothing like Qix, for instance. Or Q-bert, or Tron.

Generally, you just played whatever you wanted. If you wanted "next game," you put your quarter up on the monitor, and that signified you wanted to play next. I'm sure some people were just dicks and kept playing, but I don't remember this ever happening.

It wasn't a particularly social experience unless you went with your friends.

Darkeus

...is still laughing
Validated User

Oh man, arcades are where I grew up!! I had my 12th birthday at Bally's Alladdin's Castle! Arcades were great man, good friends, good games.. I miss the social aspect of the arcade. I miss going in and wuppin some people in Tekken 2!!

I feel so old.. It is sad to know that there are kids who will never grow up knowing the joy of the arcade. They are shadows of their former glory now...

Matthew

SquareMans
Validated User

Oh man, arcades are where I grew up!! I had my 12th birthday at Bally's Alladdin's Castle! Arcades were great man, good friends, good games.. I miss the social aspect of the arcade. I miss going in and wuppin some people in Tekken 2!!

I feel so old.. It is sad to know that there are kids who will never grow up knowing the joy of the arcade. They are shadows of their former glory now...
There was an Aladdin's Castle at the Buena Park Mall where I grew up. To get in, you had to walk down (what seemed like) a loong corridor that they mirrored and put blue lights in. Very cool. More of the "entering another world" metaphor.

CowboyEnergy

Validated User

21. I am 21 years old and I should NOT be feeling this old. So when I was a kid, the big games were either fighting games, or shooting games. I mean, Virtua Cop was unbe-fucking-lievable when it first came out. Holy shit, I can use this gun...and it works on the TV...and it's 3-D? :eek: Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter was pretty much omnipresent throughout the arcades...well, lifespan I guess I could say.

But what was interesting were the games with the big booths or special seats and stuff. YOu know what I mean. You had Afterburner, which was an arcade jet game that had this big grey jet...thing that you would crawl into and play the game with. Jurassic Park: The Lost World had that too. And you can't forget the tons of racing games that had seats and gear-shifts!

Dawgstar

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User

One of my most potent arcade memories was, picture it, Mortal Kombat was brand new. For about a month now, many of us had plugged away at it, trying to peel back its secrets and figure out how to rip each others' spines out. Street Fighter II might as well have been pawing at the glass while standing outside in the rain. Then one day, a dude shows up and he knows everything. Everything. We stand in awe and watch as a different character is called out each time, and he shows us everything there is to know. THEN he beats the game with each different character, to show us the ending stuff. Then the man left, never to be seen again.

My friends and I adopted Killer Instinct as our own personal game later on, since people seemed to avoid it in favor of Mortal Kombat 3? I forget. We whiled away many a quarter, pushing the machine on to greater heights and being simultaneously proud and slightly sheepish because that dang game was loud when it shoulder "ULTRA COMBO!" (B.Orchid for the win.)

Top Bottom