Need a skill name for Boating + Driving + Horsemanship (with Action! connotation)

Andurion

Validated User
I'd say "steer" works well. "Handle" might work for me too, but it doesn't have a particularly inspiring ring to it. "Helm" could also work, although admittedly it has a lot of nautical connotations. I think "jockey" could grow on me, though right now for me the verb version of the word is more synonymous with struggle or compete, i.e. "jockey for position."

Last edited:

lucrien

Validated User
I'd frame-challenge a bit and say I think "drive" is pretty solid to begin with. It's sensible to a modern ear, and particularly it's clear what it isn't. It might not be the first word that comes to mind when one thinks operating a ship or riding a horse, but applying it to those situations isn't too out of place. Drive is also nice in that it doesn't (at least to my mind) seem to put emphasis on speed or maneuvering--if this is the skill for driving a vehicle very quickly, but also nimbly darting it around obstacles, or making a sharp turn or sudden stop, I think it's important the word capture all these possibilities fairly equally.

I'm going to second the notion that "jockey" sounds too... adversarial.

For the positive contribution, I'll also put forth "handle".

TrapperQ

Spiker (proof on request)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So steer, sally, impel, direct, propel, control, journey, transport or excursion are out.

Teamster? Manoeuvre? Vroom? Go!? Overland? Rodeo? Seat of the Pants? Drift? Cheese it?

Maybe something from skateboarding or other adrenalin sports?

MeMeMe

Validated User
I've used both Jockey and Daredevil for this (the first in a fantasy game, the last in a pulp game). Neither is perfect, but they are decent enough.

Andurion

Validated User
I'm still thinking about this. :) "Charge" might work, although it's often used as special action in game mechanics I'm familiar with. "Careen" could be another option - although it has an uncontrolled connotation, a Careen skill could represent a PC's ability to successfully operate a vehicle or other conveyance in dangerous circumstances.

Daigoro

拝大五郎
Validated User
The Aussie/NZ word "hoon" is generally about driving cars recklessly, but not many would object if you talked about hooning on a boat or other conveyance.

Top Bottom