need help with MG Traveller 2e The Rift

briansommers

Validated User
I bought the Rift expansion so I could get Book 4: Deep Space Exploration Handbook

In it on page 16 The Expanded Star SystemCreation section
it states....

"... the chance that there will be a star system present in a map hex is dependent upon the nature of its region of space:"
and then it lists under it several types: Cluster, Dense, Average, etc.

my question is how is this determined? I can't seem to find anywhere how to determine if a map hex is one of the types mentioned?
or is this a GM thing?

brennanhawkwood

Validated User
My recollection from the versions of Traveller I've used is that the GM decides the general density of stars for the region of space that you are generating. If you want a lot of stars and easier travel between systems (more systems within reach of lower power/cheaper jump drives) go for a more dense region. Less dense regions there will be fewer places to stat up/visit and it will probably require more expensive, higher tech (i.e. higher jump) starships to get places unless the stars end up clustered closely together.

Galadrin

Validated User
My guess would be you eyeball the category according to how many known systems exist in that subsector. So if you are dealing with Khouth Subsector in Corridor, you would be looking at a Dense or Average area of space. If you are looking at Jikhyrleirla Subsector, you probably will be dealing with a very sparse or rift-type area of space. The book basically suggests you put a star system wherever you need to for the purposes of your campaign, of course, so feel free to disregard the random generation entirely.

Galadrin

Validated User
In the 1e core, it was in the start of the world creation rules, under world occurrence.

Good eye. Here is the passage from 1e:

Mongoose Traveller 1st Edition said:
World Occurrence: There is a basic one-half chance normally that a world (and its attendant stellar system) will be in a hex. Systematically check each hex on the subsector map, throwing one die and marking the hex with a circle if the result is a 4, 5, or 6. This indicates that a world is present; otherwise, leave the hex blank.

The Referee may elect to alter the normal chances of worlds, making them more frequent or less frequent to correspond to specific regions of the galaxy. A 50% density (no DM) is appropriate for the spiral arms of the galaxy. Apply a –2 DM for ‘rift sectors’, a –1 DM for sparse sectors and a +1 DM for densely populated sectors.

So you are supposed to apply modifiers at your own discretion. Presumably it works like that in MongTrav 2e as well.

Top Bottom