• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Need one more] Bliss Stage - mecha, child soldiers, surreal dreamscapes, emotional trauma, shipping charts!

JoanieSappho

Not drunk enough for this
Validated User
Well, a hospital suggests medical supplies, not to mention a generator. Those are fairly standard, even if I have absolutely no idea about Boston myself.
That's more a stockpile we're sitting on than any sort of production and I have no idea was the landscape is like for attempts at farming anything. I suspect food might be one of our main concerns for import, though.

MonoRed

Validated User
I had the same thoughts about medical supplies and electricity, which both go into my belief that it's a perfect location for the ANIMa creche, which I picture requiring a lot of both. Someone also pointed out to me once that there'd be a plentiful supply of iodine for water purification. As for food, there's parkland just outside, on the bank of the Charles, but it may not be all that defensible? Perhaps the group relies on it heavily, but constantly has to worry about it being damaged or captured by...someone?

That leads well into the next question, actually. TSSL, are there other groups of survivors in the area? If so, what do we know about them? Are they friendly, hostile?

TSSL

Validated User
There are two nearby.

1. Both MIT and Harvard attracted survivors during the early days, and became centers for passing on information. Survivors at MIT in particular collected sleep research to try to circumvent the Bliss. The alien remotes targeted both communities, but they became the cores for two different bands, which fled and wandered the area. Once rivals, they have been forced to cooperate to survive, and in the last year, one child has risen to become "president" of a unified group, which they call The University. They consider themselves the best hope for humanity's future, and the new president, decked out in scavenged academic robes, has grandiose plans and visions. But for now, they desire the ANIMa technology, and for now are trying to cozy up with our own group.

2. The New Pilgrims coalesced as historical reenactors coalesced with farming communities. They try to keep a low profile, and use old-fashioned technology to maintain their community. Peaceful, and welcoming to outsiders, they've often grown by taking in refugees from outside. They mostly follow a preacher who passed into Bliss a couple years ago, who said that the aliens are really angels and demons, and humanity has been punished for its hubris, and the Bliss represents people's final reward or punishment. Although they are friendly to outside individuals, they do not trust the player group, who they believe are meddling with forces beyond our understanding. So they've become increasingly uncooperative.

For obvious reasons, The University and New Pilgrims don't much care for each other, either.

MonoRed

Validated User
I like, I like. Now, lordtaco, besides piloting and anchoring, what other tasks does the resistance need done? I'm gonna jump in with one suggestion and say we probably need people whose job it is to keep an eye out for Remote Weapons and, when one gets too close, get its attention and lead it away from HQ so it doesn't find us. Dangerous work, no doubt. What else comes to mind?

lordtaco777

Validated User
1. farm/ gather and protect crops.

2. because we are in a hospital there should be a few people who know more than basic first aid.

3. running communications to others survivors in the area

4. scavenging for supplies

MonoRed

Validated User
Farmers, guards, medics, messengers, scavengers. Makes sense.

Joanie, what are the aliens like? Keep in mind we still know little about them; they don't seem to be able to enter or interact with our dimension on their own, only through their Remotes. What do those look like? How do they behave, how do they attack us? If people have caught sight of them in the dream world, are they the same there, or different? Has anyone directly encountered the aliens in the dream world? If so, how did they describe that?

JoanieSappho

Not drunk enough for this
Validated User
Ah shit, I got one of the big ones.
Let's say that no one's directly encountered the aliens yet.
As for the remotes, in the waking world, lots of clawed legs, the claws linke human fingers but sharper, looking to be made of whatever's commonly found in the local area - the ones near the park/farmland seem to have wood and grass making up part of them, ones more commonly seen in the city itself more glass and concrete and steel.
And, of course, lots of skin-covered bits.

In the spirit world, somewhat similar, but only made of organic material. Plants and a worrying amount of people. At first the faces that could be seen on them were older and looked happy but as time's gone on there's been more and more younger and scared faces popping up on them.

Or something?

MonoRed

Validated User
Sounds cool! TSSL, since the Bliss, dreams have changed for everyone. They've become more concrete, more consistent, more shared. What's the dream world like? Is it like the physical world, but different somehow? In ways subtle, or obvious? Is it a completely different place? What about all the people who've succumbed to the Bliss--are they there? How do they act?

TSSL

Validated User
Appearances in the dreamworld are always shifting; there are consistent landmarks, but their appearances vary, and may look different from one person to another. Most commonly, it is either an outdoor landscape, or the inside of a vast and labyrinthine building. There are paths which turn into hallways; walls that become bushes. Sometimes sleepers will see parts of both versions at once. Sometimes there are barriers or forces that they cannot see at all. In either mode, it is always dimly-lit and gloomy, but never pitch black.

When a building, it exists at a scale larger than human, and has many hidden passages and stairways. When a landscape, it is filled with towering plants that reach higher than the eye can see. The dreamworld mixes the familiar and Earthly with something much more alien. So there will be familiar architecture, plants, and animals, but there are also many-legged creatures that resemble the remotes, and many other exotic lifeforms. All of these may transform, one into the other, or merge into one. And it is full of creatures that can fly, even ones that normally could not. The remotes descend from above; perhaps the aliens are up there, though no one really knows.

People who've recently succumbed to the Bliss are sometimes spotted wandering around, but have so far been unresponsive to any attempts to communicate. Sometimes those who have been in Bliss for longer will appear in parts, like their face on one of the remotes, or growing out of a flower. But usually they seem to float or climb higher and higher, or just fade away into other things, until no one ever sees them again.

MonoRed

Validated User
Love it :D Okay, last big setting thing: lordtaco, just as elements of the waking world bleed into our dreams, so have things from the dream world begun to seep into our dimension since the Bliss. What dream emanations are present? The alien Remotes are one example, existing in both dimensions at once; others are likely less dangerous, but possibly even stranger. Dream emanations seem to concentrate especially around large bodies of water; MGH is directly on the bank of the Charles River, and all of Boston and Cambridge are right on the ocean. That probably causes some weirdness; how so?

Top Bottom