• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Need one more] Bliss Stage - mecha, child soldiers, surreal dreamscapes, emotional trauma, shipping charts!

lordtaco777

Validated User
Most emanations come in the form a something close to mirages. Strange specters floating around just to be gone the next second, Large trees sprouting from the middle of the river just to turn into a ruined building and then disappear like it was never there. rarely there are more physical emanations the most common of which is globes of water suddenly starting to float upwards into the sky before crashing down, they vary in size but usually there are dozens of basket ball sized globes.

MonoRed

Validated User
Alright, awesome. So, to recap: our resistance group is based out of Mass. General Hospital, in Boston. This affords us access to an abundance of medical supplies, which came in handy for putting the ANIMa together; a somewhat reliable supply of electricity via generator; and plenty of iodine for purifying water. More problematic is food; our most steady supply comes from farming what used to be Lederman Park, but the spot's exposure makes it difficult to defend. We supplement our harvests by scavenging the city, but people have been doing that for seven years now, and supplies aren't getting any more plentiful.

We share the city with two other major groups of survivors. The University came out of groups that congregated at MIT and Harvard; their main concern is preserving human knowledge, and recently, they've been cozying up to us, presumably following rumors that have gotten out about the ANIMa, which they probably want for themselves. Meanwhile, The New Pilgrims are mostly farmers with a thing for historical reenactment; they believe the aliens and the Bliss were sent by God as punishment for humanity's sins, and aren't happy with us since it got out that we were messing with alien tech. The two groups hate each other at least as much as either of them hates us.

Aside from the ANIMa project, most of our group spend their time farming and protecting our fields, and scavenging for supplies throughout the city. We also have cohorts dedicated as couriers, medics, and, perhaps most importantly, sentries who keep an eye out for approaching Remotes. The last have so far served to protect our base, by distracting Remotes that get too close and leading them away.

No one has yet encountered the aliens directly in the dream world; so far, only the Remotes have ever been seen. They look vaguely insectlike or arachnid, lots of legs and claws, amalgamated from whatever materials are nearby in the areas they emerge from. In the dream world, this often includes what looks like human bodies.

The dream world itself is a constantly shifting maze, equal parts natural landscape and built structures, all on a scale that looks suited to something far larger than human. Occasionally, people who have recently Blissed out can be encountered there, though they're always unresponsive; even more rarely, someone has claimed to have seen the face of someone who went longer ago merged into the landscape, or a Remote glimpsed from a distance, but no one who's been gone for long has ever been encountered whole.

When the dream world bleeds into the waking world, it mostly does so as mirages. Sometimes, out on the river or the ocean, globes of water will rise from the surface into the air and float up towards the sky, before bursting and falling back down.

Now, on to characters! First up, the authority figure. Introducing Dr. Branwen Shaw, 46, neurologist, formerly one of the foremost experts on sleep disorders. When the Bliss first started to take hold, she was brought in to examine some of the earliest victims, and was consequently one of the few in a position to take steps to protect herself. No one in the resistance is entirely sure how she stays awake, but most assume the pills she's always popping at clockwork intervals have something to do with it. To the kids, she's Branwen or Dr. Shaw; no one calls her mom or anything of the sort. It's clear she cares deeply about everyone in the group, and she seems to want to show it, but she also seems to have no idea whatsoever how to act around children; the older ones, she mostly just treats like adults, and she tends to avoid dealing with the little kids much at all, preferring to leave them in the care of the more parentally-minded teenagers. It was she who spearheaded the design and construction of the ANIMa, with help from a few of the more technically-inclined resistance members, including...

Takumi Ito, 17, Dr. Shaw's semi-official second-in-command. It's not hard to see why they get along--he acts about twenty years beyond his age. Few deny his leadership skill, or his dedication to making sure everyone in the group gets what they need, but he doesn't seem to really have that many actual friends. It doesn't seem to bother him, but then, he's never been known to show much even with Remotes bearing down on everyone's heads. A couple years back, when the group really made the decision to stop being survivors and start being the resistance, he was the one who pushed for us to think of ourselves as a proper army, addressing Dr. Shaw as "commander" and so on.

So, what's everyone thinking for pilots? If you already have a concept fully fleshed out, feel free to go ahead and put that up; otherwise, just let us know what you do have and we can work out the rest. Let me know if you have any rules questions.

Last edited:

TSSL

Validated User
Nice summary! I like seeing it all together like that.

It also looks to me like farming's going to be even more of a concern lately, with the New Pilgrims starting to sour on us, as they'd likely have been a good source for traded food.

Should we be moving to a new thread around now, or when do you think? That big block of summary could make a useful first post for an OOC thread.

Okay, so, running with Rook's earlier suggestion...

My pilot is Stuart Bell, and he'll be the Innocent Sweetheart, though I'm thinking he's a little older than suggested; he just fits the "younger" personality more. He's a relative newcomer, originally from a bit further to the west, where he spent much of his formative years in a sheltered cave-dwelling community, a bit safer off than many. But a few years ago, they heard rumors of The University, and Stuart, who was always a curious kid, left to seek it out, accompanied by his stronger and tougher best friend, Charlie, who promised to do everything in his power to keep him safe. On reaching the Boston area, however, Dr. Shaw's group was the first to pick them up. That suited Stuart fine, as he had a burning desire to learn everything he could about the dreamworld and aliens, and now, with his talent recognized, he got to be a Pilot! It suited Charlie rather less, as this did not look like a good way to keep Stuart protected... plus there was now a new boy who's caught Stuart's eye (the Anchor), leaving Charlie to realize maybe he wanted to be something more than best friends after all...

I assume we need to fill out more of the group before I can fill in the relationships on his sheet, right? (Though obviously Charlie will be one.)

JoanieSappho

Not drunk enough for this
Validated User
Yeah, we'll need to figure out where we stand with each other's characters to get the relationships sorted out.

As for my pilot, her name is Jessica Bartlett, and she'll be the Devoted Lover. As I think the Bliss starts hitting once you get to 18, she'll be about 17. She's actually been around since the beginning, originally a patient in the hospital due to a stomach condition. That's been dealt with, fortunately, and since then she's mostly just stuck around due to a complete lack of anywhere else to go. For the first few years she helped out wherever she was able to. Small and not particularly strong, she's struggled to actually find stuff that she can do, but keeping busy distracted her from worrying and so she threw herself into whatever she could find.
One of the first outside children to join the hospital group was a slightly younger girl by the name of Samantha Ward and the two quickly became friends, even if the taller girl had a habit of taking over the things that Jessica was trying to do.
Recently, they've become rather more than that and then she was found to be suited to becoming a pilot, an idea that she's thrown herself wholeheartedly into.

After all, she knows what'll happen to her soon, and now she has something to lose when the Bliss takes her. She's not going to let that happen, no matter what she has to do. She has no idea how to use being an ANIMa pilot to deal with this, but she'll find a way if one exists.

lordtaco777

Validated User
so some stuff has come up irl and I wont be able to continue playing. sorry about that. I hope you have a good game.

MonoRed

Validated User
No worries! Thanks for the interest :) Lemme see if Rook still wants to jump back in, and if not, I'll open the thread up to one more recruit.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Pilot Rook S. reporting for duty. Let me read back in the thread and I'll put up a character concept.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ugh, some crap's come up, might not be able to post a pilot concept until late tonight. Sorry.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Almost forgot I owed this…

I'm sorry, my mind's blank. I'm not going to be able to play. Just nothing upstairs right now.

Top Bottom