• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💯 {Staff Pick} Need symbols? Flags? Heraldry? I draw from your descriptions

inku

Anarchaeologist
Validated User
I've been pondering starting a thread like this for a while, and the positive response to this thread made me finally decide to go ahead with it. So, here goes:

I do graphic design and am thinking of trying to find more professional work in that field. I love drawing, but I have a hard time just drawing stuff without a purpose.

I'd like to draw symbols, flags & logos for your campaign! Whether it's a holy symbol for your Cleric, a heraldic shield for your Fighter, or a logotype for a Cyberpunk Megacorp, go ahead and ask in this thread. I'll post some stuff I've done next post to get this ball rolling.

Whether you have a specific design in mind, or just have a general idea on what you'd like, feel free to request stuff! :)

inku

Anarchaeologist
Validated User

Okui's eye - Holy symbol for a cleric I'm playing.

Vasavasa rebels' Flag

chris_sx

the pale glider
Validated User
Okay to make this a proper test I'm going to use the most appropriate heraldic terms I can.

Herb Tarcza xvib A bulls head affronty gules ,upon a field barry nebuly azure over vert.

inku

Anarchaeologist
Validated User
Okay to make this a proper test I'm going to use the most appropriate heraldic terms I can.

Herb Tarcza xvib A bulls head affronty gules ,upon a field barry nebuly azure over vert.

Here you go. Since you took the time to blazon it, I thought I'd point out it's not following the rules of tincture, you can't put colour on top of colour.

Here's a version that doesn't break the rules:

I hope you like them. Care to tell me what it's for?

chris_sx

the pale glider
Validated User
Thank you Inku, they both look great. I haven't Blazoned anything in so long that I totally forgot it should be a metal rather than a colour.

Working up a character in the old Swords and Sorcery based WoWrpg. Unfortunately some Tauren are really quite bad at remembering all the rules of heraldry that humans insist upon. At least that is now going to be my PC's excuse.

That Other Guy

Validated User
Hey there, I might have a few ideas for designs for the cabals in a potential Mage: the Awakening game I'm running, if you're up for designing, like, 6?

Fish Priest

Join the Club
Validated User
Sable, a mailed fist argent (ie proper) holding a thunderbolt or, in a canton argent the Octogram of the Sovereign Host sable. Behind the shield, a crossed sword and quill pen. Motto: "Neither mightier than the other".

If you can, also an alternate version where the mailed fist is replaced by a skeletal hand, and the symbol in the canton is that of the Blood of Vol.

Thanks!

(And yes, these are for the same character! He's a Karrnathi military spellcaster for an Eberron campaign- the first version is the arms he actually uses, the alternate one is the pre-War version.)

Agemegos

All out of spoons
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Bravo! Terrific!

I could easily guzzle far more such art than it is at all reasonable to ask of you. I'll confine myself to a handful of requests.

• The Imperial Senate in my SF setting uses as its badge a steel-grey portcullis of five vertical and five horizontal bars, with golden chains and an "Imperial Crown" over the top. I wouldn't put it past them to give themselves a crown that somehow out-ranked the one used by the Imperial executive, perhaps with eight half-arches (five showing) rather than four (three showing).

• The Senate chose "an Imperial crown" as the symbol for the Empire, but this was hundreds of years after all the actual historical crowns were destroyed along with Earth, and no actual crown exists or is worn by anybody. So an artist looked up "heraldic crown" in an historical image database and designed something suitable. I was thinking of a circlet with arches like the British, French, and Spanish crowns and not the jewelled mitre design, despite the Senate's specification of "Imperial". The design ought to be recognisable when reduced to a monochrome silhouette, so arches that curve out a the bottom and down at the top (like these) would be better than this sort of thing. The Empire is post-Christian, so it is indifferent to the cross as a symbol, but it is fond of the oak leaf, acorn, and acorn slipped as symbols. It is way past knowing or caring which kingdoms on Old Earth had crosses patée, fleurs-de-lys, thistles, and strawberry leaves on the circlets of their crowns. One important thing, though, is that it will not have a globus crucifer at the top of its crown. Rather, it is likely to have a globe of Old Earth (probably represented by a pale blue sphere). I have the below, but it is crude and unsatisfactory.

• Could you make a badge for my Imperial Marines that is like this but not horrible.

Last edited:

inku

Anarchaeologist
Validated User
Thank you Inku, they both look great. I haven't Blazoned anything in so long that I totally forgot it should be a metal rather than a colour.

Working up a character in the old Swords and Sorcery based WoWrpg. Unfortunately some Tauren are really quite bad at remembering all the rules of heraldry that humans insist upon. At least that is now going to be my PC's excuse.
Heh, nice save ;) Glad you like them!

Hey there, I might have a few ideas for designs for the cabals in a potential Mage: the Awakening game I'm running, if you're up for designing, like, 6?
I've only the most passing familiarity with Mage, but this sounds interesting so sure!

Sable, a mailed fist argent (ie proper) holding a thunderbolt or, in a canton argent the Octogram of the Sovereign Host sable. Behind the shield, a crossed sword and quill pen. Motto: "Neither mightier than the other".
Since you knew how to blazon I assumed you meant a heraldic thunderbolt, is that correct? Here goes:

I'll do the other one as well, did you want the motto &c with that one too?

Last edited:
Top Bottom