• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Nefarious Designs - Feedback Welcome

ltmauve

I don't think the CP system needs a complete overhaul.
I do agree that it shouldn't be XP.
Also, a bit of math: 1d20+1d8 has a 27.5% chance of being at least 20. 1d20 + 1d12 has a 37.5% chance of being at least 20. Or is it only rolls of exactly 20? Because if it was, that wasn't clear.

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
No, you get the CP for anything that hits 20 or higher. One of the original (older) versions was that you would get a CP for every 5 points above the DC of 10 (so, 15, 20, 25, etc.) which would generate more CP.

darnest

PureImaginationNoLimits..
Validated User
Sorry I got distracted trying to create a complete toolset for my system.. Arggh. Back to this.

CP is fine the way it is, I think, as long as you make sure the players and GM know they can use it to swap out dice as long as they narrate. Choosing a failure gets them a CP, they can narrate the failure, the GM defines the effects. The roll over 20 is fine. The every 5 thing is too much math. You could also do it on doubles if you want more choices. You could also say choose a fail gain an CP for you and 1 ally. The player having choices draws them in (IMHO). You can also have the env Mods do things like limit how many they can spend, or gain back this scene.

I am much more a fan of the dice mechanic forcing the players to CHOOSE to win; to not accept a failure.
The CP system can do that. For example: My character and Bob are ambushed by 3 cops as we break into warehouse 13 (apologies to SJG). I roll a 30 Iniative and go first. Cause we were caught flat footed by the cops I get a d20 +d6 and Ithe GM says its a Hard challenge (14), these are experienced cops taking no chances.
I have choices: Roll what I have and hope. Fail gain a CP and give one to bob. I choose to spend a CP narrating I leap up on a crate to gain a height advantage; boosting my dice to d20+d8. I roll: 16. I use another CP to activate my shotguns knock back, the lead cop is thrown back; they get no attack this round. 2 Cops go now then bob.
Its fast, draws in the player and the narration of me jumping up on a crate gives the GM something to use.

Reading your pages I could see the system working like this; that of course is my brain. I think you were looking for something more rigid (DnD like?), with the CP being a more powerful exception. In the scenario above I would use 1 CP for to Knockback the cop and it would just happen, no roll no other choices; Roll or CP. That seems like you are limiting your system and leaving out the cool dynamics that magic items, player narration and choices add to these games.

Anyway hope that helps.

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
No worries. Being distracted is a good thing.

Note that the you have a Hard challenge (14) in your example. The number to beat always stays at 10 for the system that I'm designing. If it's a hard task for example, your skill die will drop by 1 or 2 steps depending on how things work.

I as a GM likes a mix of 'fixed' and 'fluid' when it comes to things. I have been known to be a stickler to the rules but then throw out 95% of the rules and just go with the flow when things need to be moving forward.

I get the CP idea that you are coming up with and it speaks to various mechanics in systems that I have seen as of late (2d20's Momentum for example). The thing that bugs me here is that I would rather have people define what they are trying to do BEFORE they roll dice instead of saying "Well, I got an extra success. Here's a list of 10 different things I can do. Let me figure out which one I want."

I am rethinking the CP mechanic and will need to playtest whatever I come up with to see if it works anywhere near what I want it to do. Seriously considering dropping it because I'm not a fan of metcurrency in games as it is but it seems every game has it now.

darnest

PureImaginationNoLimits..
Validated User
I think you can keep the CP and limit the options, especially if you limit the refresh triggers. I like meta currency, nothing sucks more than rolling a 12 and missing ....and your done.
I get the set target, lower the dice idea in the doc; just gives the dice too much power over my story. I have a d20+d12 and you drop me to d20+d8, what did you really do? Limit me by 4 (max 8 v max 12). so I went from an average 9 + 6 to 9+4. Seems artificial to me, probability being what it is. But it would be fast.

I love metacurrency, just hate when the GM is the only way to add them back. but if you drop it consider adding a limited set of abilities, feats if you will. maybe with roll triggers? Just a thought to give some additional player options.

Good luck

Top Bottom