• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Nemesis] Mark Millar finally achieves Platonic ideal of sucking

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I haven't read Nemesis, and this doesn't seem like an especially awesome or creative idea, but whats with the overblown Millar hate? He's produced a lot of cool stuff, like The Ultimates.
This isn't one of it, nor are most of his other shock stories.

Just because he can do Ultimates or Red Son, doesn't mean he can't also suck, after all.

Last edited:

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
To the best of my knowledge, the Dexter thing is completely true. The books are, succintly put, shit.
The first one's okay, although not as good as the show.

After that... yeah, pretty much.

Future Villain Band

Super Moderator
Validated User
WANTED wasn't a great movie, but it was OK, and I liked the final soliloquy better than "this is my face as I'm fucking you in the ass."

JG
The fucking immense beauty of Bekmambitov's interpretation of Wanted is that it attacks the very core of Millar's juvenile, daddy-worshipping approach. It is a thing of sublime subtlety on that level.

Taraqual

Words words words
Validated User
Just because he can do Ultimates or Red Son, doesn't mean he can't also suck, after all.
But those also suck.

And I say this with all sincerity, because I know I'm definitely in the minority opinion here, but the Ultimates was poor man's adaptation of Ellis on Stormwatch and Authority. The first Ultimates volume had the Hulk wanting to eat people, kill Freddie Prinze, Jr., and shouting that he was not gay. The first Ultimates had Captain America insulting France for no good reason, had them know Tony was drunk while in the most dangerous weapons platform suit in the world and had Hank Pym and Janet be all about the abusive relationship which made both characters pathetic and annoying.

I think Red Son was slightly better, but it had extremely thin characterization, poor world building, and its best quality was the "Earth is Krytpon's past!" twist. Everything else was barely any more interesting than the Elseworlds where Superman put down the American Revolution.

I mean, I seriously wish Millar had written something I liked. But I've yet to see a book with his name on it that didn't either bore me or piss me off. Even his so-called "best works" struck me as not even as clever or shocking as Garth Ennis, and Ennis is busy being a South-Park-parody of himself these days.

The fucking immense beauty of Bekmambitov's interpretation of Wanted is that it attacks the very core of Millar's juvenile, daddy-worshipping approach. It is a thing of sublime subtlety on that level.
I kinda sorta want to see this movie now. I just have the problem with it that I do with Kick-Ass -- I don't want to feed any more money into the Millar machine.

Stryke

Bang and a Boom
Validated User
This isn't one of it, nor are most of his other shock stories.

I'd dispute Ultimates for a number of reasons, but Red Son is a fantastic read and worthy of any comics writer.

The Spyster

Banned
Okay, so how does Hollywood "fix" Nemesis?

Granted, we don't know how it ends just yet, but I'm sure there's a "startling" revelation off in the wings.
The interest in Nemesis is clear: He's like the Joker, except MORE EXTREME. And everybody wants to do another Joker movie, but they can't for at least a decade because Heath Ledger is dead.

This is also basically Saw, right? Evil mastermind constructs overly complicated traps to force people to confront their inner demons in horrific, self-mutilating ways?

The movie practically pitches itself. And in terms of "fixing it", all you need to do is strip out the stupid from the actual schemes of Nemesis.

ExNihilo

The lesser of two weasels
Validated User
Why do some readers act as if shit like this is the exception and not the rule with Millar? Red Son was pretty good and Ultimates was okay, though peppered with the same juvenile bullshit that characterizes all of the man's writing. Everything else he's ever put his name on has been shit. Well-paying, mass-marketable shit, but shit nonetheless. You know what would be news? If I opened BleedingCool or whatever one day and saw a header that read "New Mark Millar Project Not Total Ass."

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Seriously. Whatever the film adaptation's flaws, the revised ending where our emotionally crippled murder-machine protagonist realises that he can do whatever he wants and no force on Earth can stop him and decides he's going to make the world a better place is one of vanishingly few genuinely uplifting conclusions I've encountered in superhero films. Most such films will trot out some trite moral about manly stoicism in the face of hardship and necessity of personal sacrifice for the greater good, but instead, he just grins at the camera and declares that screw it, he's going to be a hero anyway - just to show 'em.

I think Red Son was slightly better, but it had extremely thin characterization, poor world building, and its best quality was the "Earth is Krytpon's past!" twist. Everything else was barely any more interesting than the Elseworlds where Superman put down the American Revolution.
Red Son wholly justifies itself with Batman's hat.

xnbach

Retired User
Here's my theory: Millar is perfectly capable of coming up with an interesting premise-

What if the supervillains united and killed all the superheroes?
What if Kal-el landed in the Soviet Union?
What if Captain America acted like a WWII soldier and everyone treated Thor the way they would treat anyone claiming to be God?
What if Batman was evil?

All of which are perfectly good Elseworld What Ifs. Millar's problem is that once he gets to the execution, he can't tell if what he is doing is good or bad, because he is too enamored by the initial idea to worry about the result.

The world is full of great ideas turned into mediocre-to-shitty stories.

On a side note, is it just me or does it seem like comic writers have a higher chance of plunging into crazy wtf land than other writers?

Top Bottom