[Netflix] Immortals (aka Yasamayanlar)

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I stumbled across this today. It's a Turkish miniseries about vampires in modern Istanbul and has a very WoD (or Blade, if you like) vibe to it. You all might be interested in it. I'm two episodes in and really enjoying it.

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Even though it doesn't have subtitles, the trailer still looked good. Thanks.
I couldn't find a trailer with subtitles, alas. Fortunately, Netflix provides them!

The basic plot is that Mia, a ~140 year old vampire, comes to Istanbul seeking to destroy Dmitry, the vampire who turned her, and thus return to mortality at the same time as Dmitry is neck-deep in a plot to find the dagger of the first vampire and use it to achieve 'true immortality' (the meaning of which is not really explained in the first two episodes).

randlathor66

Validated User
I saw it on Netflix - and it is dubbed not subtitled, at least their trailer is. (I can handle either.)

My only problem (and it isn't a big one) with shows/movies that come out of that part of the world is that they don't dare have anything gay in them. While it is not needed, it would be nice for some, especially in something like this. I mean, the vampire crowd? Of course there should be some gay vamps in there.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I couldn't find a trailer with subtitles, alas. Fortunately, Netflix provides them!

The basic plot is that Mia, a ~140 year old vampire, comes to Istanbul seeking to destroy Dmitry, the vampire who turned her, and thus return to mortality at the same time as Dmitry is neck-deep in a plot to find the dagger of the first vampire and use it to achieve 'true immortality' (the meaning of which is not really explained in the first two episodes).
Interesting. My guess would be alive but undying and/or invulnerable instead of being merely undead.

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Annnd having finished the series I kind of withdraw my recommendation. There's a soap opera quality to the series that wasn't really present in the first two episodes, and the finale was aggravating.

Spoiler: Show
For the second half of the show, they're setting up a great climatic battle between reluctantly allied working class youths of Istanbul and the vampires... and it never happens! What a waste of a great plot.

Also, Dmitry basically gives up and let's Mia kill him (but his movement of 'vampires in the open' lives on, so that's okay, I guess*), and then Mia's love interest also kills himself. Turns out it was Numel, said love interest, who actually turned Mia, not Dmitry.

* except the show makes it clear vampires aren't nearly dangerous enough to stand up to modern soldiers, since the vampires are physically strong, but only Captain America strong, and have no other powers to compensate. A few street kids with improvised crossbows can take down a single vampire. I'm sure a company of mechanized infantry could do interesting things to Dmitry's crusaders.

Dave999

Validated User
Combine this with Chicago by Night 5E, the Clan Novels being re-released on Ebook, the Order's Mageyness and we're having Goth Day.

:)

Top Bottom