• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Netflix] Stranger Things 3 Episodes 1-2-3 (Spoiler Thread)

Vault Dweller

Bard of Hope
Validated User
Last edited:

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
I love that the gang has faced down multiple horrors from beyond the veil but they're still down to sneak into horror movies.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Ok so first 3 eps down...

Overall I feel like it's a solid start. Kind of a slow burn in that leisurely Netflix Pacing way, but I'm liking the setup.

Just gonna put random thoughts in spoilers just because it's still early days.

Spoiler: Show

Ah, the 80s, those halcyon years before pop psychology parenting courses really filtered into the mainstream and it was easier to threaten teenagers into obedience than talk about your feelings, Hop, looking at you.

Rooskies! In Hawkins! Using the Mall, that decadent temple to American running dog capitalism, as their base! They'll never suspect us here, comrade!

The Steve/Dustin pairing is only strengthened by Robin. Who is awesome. Possibly too awesome for Steve. We'll see.

I'm starting to think that the zombie themes are foreshadowing rather than random references (duh, Owesome, you think?).

I'm not 100% sold on the kid's growing pains as authentic so much as being "adults trying to write early teens growing pains" but that's ok. The kids are doing good work with the material, mind, but it feels more like YA writing than organic kids being kids and discovering girls and drifting apart and so on. I dunno.

Billy, don't be a hero creepy puppet of an eldritch horror slouching towards Bethlehem to be born, once again. This is what happens when you're a macho alpha lone wolf, Billy, you don't have friends who can point out that maybe you've been possessed by goopy mind worms and should maybe have a lie down.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Dick move, Hop.
Hey now, men of his generation weren't good at expressing their discomfort at their adoptive daughter growing up and discovering her sexuality and his own insecurities as to his ability to be a good dad.

What they were good at was wearing Hawaiian shirts with 3 buttons undone and a sports coat. Like a boss. :cool:

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Billy is really making this feel more like a Stephen King story than previous seasons, which were already very Stephen King-y.

Vault Dweller

Bard of Hope
Validated User
I love the colour, framing and motion of Max and Eleven biking around in the rain - those are some great shots.

Anima

Validated User
I really loved all of the Max and Eleven scenes in this episodes. The two worked well together

Tumbleweed

Supporting Cast!
Validated User
For a show about Lovecraftian horror, that opening with Mike & Elle making out was the grossest thing they've done so far.

But hey, I'm a cynic. (Also Mike is kinda awful).

Also, they didn't transform Ultra Magnus right! Not to mention that the toy isn't motorized ... and hey wait a minute that toy doesn't even exist in 1985!

JustinCognito

Crepuscular
Validated User
Man, even if I didn't really have a D&D group as a kid, I'm feeling a lot of Will's turn as the maybe-gay, maybe-spectrum-y guy who looks in on everyone else hitting the full blush of puberty and just wondering what.

Also, was that a Kingdoms of Kalamar reference? Not the first time the show went somewhat anachronistic when bringing in D&D concepts, but still..

Top Bottom