• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Netflix] Stranger Things 3 Episodes 7-8 and General Spoiler Thread for Full Series

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I figured it was just weird psionicly charged Science Chemicals. They were already all in on the Science! tropes with the super complex rotating device, so they just added vials of colorful chemicals to the mix.

Muz

Validated User
I figured they were some kind of chemical battery. Glowing green means MORE POWAR!!

Tom McCambley

Validated User
I figured they were some kind of chemical battery. Glowing green means MORE POWAR!!
If I’ve been taught anything by Classic Doctor Who as written by Terrance Dicks, “Green is the color of monsters.” So of course their monster summoning device has to be green.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Spent part of the evening explaining to some sensitive woke young millennials that, yeah, men really did suck in the 1980s and for the most part we had no idea how to handle emotions.

I dipped on trying to explain to them that no teenager in 1985 Indiana was going to be anti-capitalist, or that having commie Russian villains isn't the show engaging in xenophobia, just genre tropes.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Spent part of the evening explaining to some sensitive woke young millennials that, yeah, men really did suck in the 1980s and for the most part we had no idea how to handle emotions.

I dipped on trying to explain to them that no teenager in 1985 Indiana was going to be anti-capitalist, or that having commie Russian villains isn't the show engaging in xenophobia, just genre tropes.
Dammit, why do they keep giving people like me a bad name?

I do, but it was all online, so it's not really waiting for me.

In other news, that #NeverEndingChallenge that Millie Bobby Brown started? This just happened:

Yeah, that's the Childlike Empress from the movie.
Perfect.

Phonzy

not arguing that with you
Validated User
I have one question - what the hell was the green goop for? Was it there only for an Aliens (1986) reference?

It both seemed like a completely a huge fakeout (it seemed important and completely wasn't) and a missed opportunity for the characters as they were going down the elevator again, which was still FULL of the ultracorrosive crap. They could've just melted the everloving heck out of the "key", Planck number or not.
I figured it being that corrosive was gonna be a convenient(ish) way to do lasting damage to the meat-spider (at least, once the corrosiveness was established/I got past my immediate reaction of thinking the Russians were mutating turtles), if we need more ideas that didn't play out. ;)

Lukas Sjöström

Society of Unity scholar
Validated User

I thought the Russian villains were a bit off, because it was basically the show embracing the values of the '80s. Like, normally the show tends to show the values of that time without condoning them -- Hopper's masculinity isn't healthy, and the show doesn't make it seem that way. However, when it comes to the Russians, it seems to actually buy into the propaganda of that time, using them as faceless evil mooks who can be gunned down in cold blood.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I thought the Russian villains were a bit off, because it was basically the show embracing the values of the '80s. Like, normally the show tends to show the values of that time without condoning them -- Hopper's masculinity isn't healthy, and the show doesn't make it seem that way. However, when it comes to the Russians, it seems to actually buy into the propaganda of that time, using them as faceless evil mooks who can be gunned down in cold blood.
Well, you know, opening a rift into the abyss will do that. BUt that’s not actually true.It doesn’t get much focus but Hopper is shocked after shooting the guards at the elevator and later fires into the ceiling to chase the scientists out.

I think it’s also partly of our time in that Tussia is an enemy and threat to democracy again, with the hacking and all.

Meanwhile, there’s Alexi who is incredibly sympathetic even if he’s on Team Dimensional Rift.

Top Bottom