• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Netflix] Stranger Things 3 Episodes 7-8 and General Spoiler Thread for Full Series

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Well, you know, opening a rift into the abyss will do that. BUt that’s not actually true.It doesn’t get much focus but Hopper is shocked after shooting the guards at the elevator and later fires into the ceiling to chase the scientists out.

I think it’s also partly of our time in that Tussia is an enemy and threat to democracy again, with the hacking and all.

Meanwhile, there’s Alexi who is incredibly sympathetic even if he’s on Team Dimensional Rift.
And, honestly, the Russian government got up to some genuinely terrible stuff. So did the American government, too.

sartana

Validated User
I think I'm in the extreme minority when I say that the Neverending Story thing was super cheesy and thus cringey for me. I like Suzie, and the dynamic between her and Dustin, but even in a show with a lot of unreal stuff happening, this seemed incongruent.

sartana

Validated User
What I mean is that it wasn't enjoyable to me as an audience member. Felt very out of place. The only positive is that I got a few laughs when the gang was teasing Dustin about it and there was some banter.

Jerry Rigg

Validated User
I thought the Russian villains were a bit off, because it was basically the show embracing the values of the '80s. Like, normally the show tends to show the values of that time without condoning them -- Hopper's masculinity isn't healthy, and the show doesn't make it seem that way. However, when it comes to the Russians, it seems to actually buy into the propaganda of that time, using them as faceless evil mooks who can be gunned down in cold blood.
Honestly it didn’t feel much different than how the government agents in the first two season were treated.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
Honestly it didn’t feel much different than how the government agents in the first two season were treated.
Season one, sure. But season two deliberately plays with the idea that maybe they're bad, maybe they're good, and ultimately comes down on the side that Reiser's guy is, ultimately, decent.

Jerry Rigg

Validated User
Season one, sure. But season two deliberately plays with the idea that maybe they're bad, maybe they're good, and ultimately comes down on the side that Reiser's guy is, ultimately, decent.
I only got around to rewatching season 1 before this new season, so I'll trust your memory of season 2 over mine. They kind of did that this season with Aleksei.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Dammit, why do they keep giving people like me a bad name?
They're good folks and I like them; they're just young. The oldest is in her early thirties, so her political memory really starts in the 21st Century, maybe the end of the Clinton years. For some of the younger ones, we're talking Obama. They can't really conceive of how dark the 1980s were from a social justice standpoint. Heck, they were a step back from the 1970s.

EvilSchemer

Well, I never!
Validated User
I clapped when Dustin gave Erica the box of D&D books and her look of "touche, nerd".

Not just because it was a perfect moment, which it was, but also because it was PERFECT real world marketing for WotC!

What better way to open the door to wider target demographics than to make a literal case to young female person of color that if you like My Little Pony (by Hasbro), then you'd like Dungeons and Dragons (also by Hasbro).

My post sounds cynical but it's not. I think it's genius. Representation matters and I sincerely hope we get an entirely new influx of young female persons of color into our hobby as a result of this.

Top Bottom