• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Netflix] Stranger Things 3 Episodes 7-8 and General Spoiler Thread for Full Series

Croquemitaine

Validated User
I don't think she was ever crazy as such. She was just under an enormous amount of stress. In spite of the occasional freak outs, her response to various impossible things is usually both rational and constructive.
Yes. In season one she was just barely keeping it together, but she did keep it together. She's actually a very strong character and I think she has been since day one.

What's more, her actions in season one showed that she had a very, let's say scientific mindset. She tried things, testing and experimenting, and didn't let pre-conceived notions of reality get in the way of the facts she was directly observing. So early in season three when she started busting out the science books and advanced theories, that wasn't a development of the character, that's who she was the whole time.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Yes. In season one she was just barely keeping it together, but she did keep it together. She's actually a very strong character and I think she has been since day one.

What's more, her actions in season one showed that she had a very, let's say scientific mindset. She tried things, testing and experimenting, and didn't let pre-conceived notions of reality get in the way of the facts she was directly observing. So early in season three when she started busting out the science books and advanced theories, that wasn't a development of the character, that's who she was the whole time.
I think it was leaning into that part of her character more than previous seasons had, and quite intentionally as this was rather clearly The Season Of Women Get Shit Down, but, yeah, it was very consistent.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Finally finished this. Wasn't sold on the first few episodes, but I really enjoyed it by the end. One thing that I miss, though: the thing that really impressed me from S1 was how seamlessly the homages fit together. Yeah, it was like a lot of Stephen King movies from the 80's mashed together with E.T. but every one of those elements built on and supported the others. By now it's much more obvious that the homages are put in for their own sake: the stereotypical Russian bad guys don't seem like they're from the same genre as everything else.

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
By now it's much more obvious that the homages are put in for their own sake: the stereotypical Russian bad guys don't seem like they're from the same genre as everything else.
I agree with this. It feels like S1 was a story that included some homages while S3 was a grab-bag of homages that were pressed into the shape of a story. I still like S3, of course, but this is a fundamental weakness in it.

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
Sure, but if it was the Mind Flayer, why? How does that help it gain control? Or if not that, what does the Mind Flayer gain out of it that it wasn't already getting? And if it was Billy hallucinating, why hallucinate that?
As I recall the scene:

Billy pulls his car over in a panic and gets out to walk on the road.

The world around him gets all gross and ashen as we understand to be the Upside-down to be.

Billy, still in a panic, sees a crowd in shadow walking toward him on the road. He please desperately asking what they want.

The leader of the advancing crowd becomes visible, and appears to be Billy himself. But it's *not* Billy, because it's calm and in command of itself and the situation.

It tells Billy it wants him to build. Billy asks what. It tells him, "what you see".

So that was The Mind Flayer giving Billy his orders: He is to go forth and recruit a mass of people to the the MF's thrall, as he himself already has been

Xopher

Social Justice Jedi
Validated User
And I really didn't like Hopper much this season. I like David Harbour immensely, but Hopper was poorly written this time around IMO.
Hopper ... I get it, 80s, zero chill ... but his aggro attitude was actively pissing me off. And it made his interactions with Joyce frustrating to the point where I didn't buy their relationship, so I tuned out when Murray started telling them to go get naked.
I loved the season as a whole, but holy FUCK, did I despise Hopper this time around. It didn't even really feel like the same character; he went from a flawed but very decent at heart person to a "brute" whose behavior — and I'm being kind here — verged on being abusive towards his adopted child and the woman that he wants to date. The policing of El's social/romantic life is gross, and the bit where he tells Mike that something happened to his grandmother to get him out of the house is inexcusable. By the end, I was happy to see him go, whether he got atomized or sent into the Upside Down.

Boris

I am invincible?
Validated User
Steve "The Hair" Harrington and Robin hopped up on sodium penathol is pretty wonderful.

Setting up/being an extra in a 80's funfair recreation seems like a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom