[Netflix] The Dragon Prince Book 2: Sky (Discussion Thread)

LordofArcana

Validated User
Granted on both counts.

A question that comes to me is that if Ezren has established a connection to Earth Magic that lets him speak to animals... wouldn't the cube react to him like it did to Callum?

Whatever Ezren (and maybe his dad?) is doing must be something new.
Its possible that it would only react to him once he developed telepathy, which is exactly when he is no longer near it.

I'm not entirely sure this works (and I would lose a lot of respect for the writers) but maybe it does react to him and Ezran and Callum are both aware of that but we have been kept in the dark. Its complete bullshit, but might not be impossible.

That said, yeah I think Ezran is using the dark arcanum to communicate with other living beings. Its probably something like "we are not alone and we will all live on in those around us". This is weaponized by dark magic to steal magical creatures' arcana but it can also be used to comfort and support each other.

SeekerJST

Silent Spirits
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would bet that the cube doesn't react to Capt. Villads even though I would also bet he's using Primal Sky Magic as his wind sense. I would bet both he and Ezren are both using magic at an intuitive level, while Callum has now done the work to actualize that into a conscious connection.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My working theory is that lack of connection to an arcanum is what allows humans to use dark magic, taking the essence of magical being in the metaphiscall palce where teh arcanum should be.
but that kind of fell apart when I learned that Aaravos mastered dark magic too.
Which probably is one of the resons he's locked up with Dragon royal pair being as his wardens.

Which actually gives another theory:
Aaravos has been sentance because he used Dark Magic.
And more conrectly he used an Elf or possibly a dragon to use Dark magic.

junglefowl26

Validated User
I thought her and the other kings weren't taking any kind of moral stance other than cowardice and perhaps ruthlessness. Remember that apparently it wasn't that long ago that the human kingdoms were warring with each other and here they are saying "Eh, you know what, the elves can have you" to their old enemies.

If they had proof Varin was a lying warmonger or stated some kind of reason they couldn't get involved (none of them even used "you antagonized the elves so you have it coming"), they could claim to be the good guys, but right now I see all of them as basically just willing to let their neighbors be destroyed if it will spare them a little hardship and maybe get a little revenge for past battles. Remember the audience has seen him being shady but the other kings haven't. Their decision isn't predicated on that information. Even the young queen's "I can't send my people to die in a war to defend someone else who was willing to risk their lives to protect us" is really just selfishness and she completely ignored Varin's statements that after they took out his kingdom they'd go after the others. And here's the thing: We don't know he's wrong, even if he's antagonized the elves. If it gets to the point where there's open warfare between one human kingdom and Xadia, the elves may decide to just keep going. Oh sure, he's running a false flag operation to make it look like the elves are attacking the others now when they aren't but that's just because if the elves are smart they won't attack the others until they've finished mopping the first kingdom up.
Sorry for the confusion, but I didn't mean the queen. I meant the woman - I want to say a priest, but I am not sure - who demanded that their first priority be finding the princes, and who ordered Viren's arrest later. https://dragonprince.fandom.com/wiki/Opeli

Our protagonists are definitely Paragons themselves... Well, Rayla may have a bit of Renegade: Who doesn't stab that Mechanic in the back during Archangel's recruitment mission?
Well, she hasn't killed anyone, so not her.

She never said she didn't punch an annoying elf reporter though...

Nah, Rayla is sarcastic Hawke (which is the best kind of Hawke).
;)
This is very true on all counts.

I'm farily sure people have bothererd to try in the past (before the schism).
It just that unlike Callum people who bothred try did have access to a acrtifact created by the only mage to master all of the Arcana.
Even Claudia seemed to use the primal stone a lot before Callum took it.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were human mages who relied on primal stones for their magic, especially before the divide and the loss of the knowledge to make the stones.

I don't think the Arcanums are a matter of "bothered trying."

(Mostly because I think the setting breaks if accessing the Arcanums for humans is something that can be done with only a modicum of effort)

Callum:

1. Has a magic rolly-cube created by an infamous arch mage
2. Has an empathetic and generous nature, and listens to people (the Moon elf Mage, the mad blind pirate) that most humans wouldn't
3. Has done Primal magic using a primal source, so he already knows how primal magic feels
4. Went through a near death experience vision quest

It's a number of factors coming together to make him unusual, if not unique in thus time period. I'm sure in time the process might be refined, but with what we know of the setting I don't think we can condemn human mages for simply not bothering to learn primal magic.
He also seems to have a near photographic memory, picking up on complex incantations and magical gestures almost instantly. That probably helps a lot.

My working theory is that lack of connection to an arcanum is what allows humans to use dark magic, taking the essence of magical being in the metaphiscall palce where teh arcanum should be.
but that kind of fell apart when I learned that Aaravos mastered dark magic too.
Which probably is one of the resons he's locked up with Dragon royal pair being as his wardens.

Which actually gives another theory:
Aaravos has been sentance because he used Dark Magic.
And more conrectly he used an Elf or possibly a dragon to use Dark magic.
If elves are named after their magic, and Aaravos can use dark magic...does that make him a dark elf?;)

junglefowl26

Validated User
Forgot to mention it earlier, but I also found it interesting that Aravos actually did have a lot written about him in the mystery books...and it is really cool and creepy that he somehow prevented Viren from actually reading any of it.

(And frankly that is hella suspicious. Goes to show just how desperate Viren is to work with someone like that)

Not sure how I got those two names mixed up, but thanks for clarifying.
No problem, sorry for not making it clearer in the first post.

Officially a Startouched elf.
And he's probably by the Elf of Many Colors. ;)
That is a very fitting description.

LordofArcana

Validated User
Forgot to mention it earlier, but I also found it interesting that Aravos actually did have a lot written about him in the mystery books...and it is really cool and creepy that he somehow prevented Viren from actually reading any of it.

(And frankly that is hella suspicious. Goes to show just how desperate Viren is to work with someone like that)
Am I the only one who thinks that the entire point of Aarevos encouraging Viren's attack against the guards was to prevent Viren from getting rid of the worm thing?

shikomekidomi

Validated User
Am I the only one who thinks that the entire point of Aarevos encouraging Viren's attack against the guards was to prevent Viren from getting rid of the worm thing?
Maybe, he could have been set up to fail so he must rely on Aarevos more. It's also possible he thought Viren could win, because he was doing pretty well up until he got distracted by the bird, which Aarevos might not have foreseen. I haven't made up my mind which yet.

LordofArcana

Validated User
Maybe, he could have been set up to fail so he must rely on Aarevos more. It's also possible he thought Viren could win, because he was doing pretty well up until he got distracted by the bird, which Aarevos might not have foreseen. I haven't made up my mind which yet.
I'm just not sure what winning would even look like. He manages to kill or incapacitate a lot of guards but that doesn't really help him in his goal to be in control. Does he expect to fight his way to the other regency council members and kill them all? Does he expect to be a big enough threat that they end up giving him power to mollify him?

Top Bottom