[Netflix] The Dragon Prince Book 2: Sky (Discussion Thread)

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Maybe, he could have been set up to fail so he must rely on Aarevos more. It's also possible he thought Viren could win, because he was doing pretty well up until he got distracted by the bird, which Aarevos might not have foreseen. I haven't made up my mind which yet.
He was doing quite well because Aarevos was casting magic via proxy through Viren.
Without Aarevos Viren would not be able to take down as many guards.
Dark Magic after all needs components and seems require more time in casting spells then primal magic, both are important in a fight.

shikomekidomi

Validated User
I'm just not sure what winning would even look like. He manages to kill or incapacitate a lot of guards but that doesn't really help him in his goal to be in control. Does he expect to fight his way to the other regency council members and kill them all? Does he expect to be a big enough threat that they end up giving him power to mollify him?
Well, we know at least one of them stupidly showed up with the guards, so he could have killed her. I think another is General Amaya, whose out in the field and doesn't even know about this stuff, so yeah, he might have been able to kill the other couple. At the very least he might have escaped and kept plotting from hiding.

I don't think Viren needs to rule the kingdom outright to consider himself the winner, anyway. I think he just needs to 'heroicly' solve 'the Xadia problem' himself and have everyone dancing to his tune. If he could do that as a wanted criminal, he'd probably still consider himself victorious in most respects. And the phantom elves prove he can exert influence through his magic without official channels.

He was doing quite well because Aarevos was casting magic via proxy through Viren.
Without Aarevos Viren would not be able to take down as many guards.
Dark Magic after all needs components and seems require more time in casting spells then primal magic, both are important in a fight.
Yes, I know. It changes nothing of what I was saying, though. Once he got distracted by the bird, he took an arrow to the knee, then that caused him to pause even longer, which gave the archers a chance to surround him. At which point it may not have been unreasonable for Aarevos to decide the fight was over, even if he originally intended Viren to escape.

Scurrilous

Validated User
The neat thing about Viren is that he's a classic evil vizer wizard, probably hangs out with Jaffar at the club but he's also very human, understandable, and relatable. He's not so much a caricature as a critique of the role. You can see how he got there and he makes sense.

Claudia took a big step when she killed that deer, she's moving deeper into dark magic now. It might be just psychological but it's a big step. I suspect a similar step is where her father began to slide. Calumm is clearly meant for Rayla and one of them will die before they actually come out and say it. But then again, maybe not, the writers are clearly flying in the face of lazy, generic plotting.

I suspect the princes were wrong in their assessment of Amaya at the winter lodge. I think she would have agreed with the need to return the dragon prince. All you'd have to say is "Viren doesn't want it to happen" and I suspect she'd be right on board. She's seen what his plans lead to twice, it's just the princes don't realize this, being young and all.

Averous was probably locked in the mirror for teaching humans dark magic in the first place. Think about it.

I suspect we'll find Zadia full of angry elves and dragons who want a war of extermination with the humans. I don't think bringing back the dragon prince will convince them.

Dave999

Validated User
The neat thing about Viren is that he's a classic evil vizer wizard, probably hangs out with Jaffar at the club but he's also very human, understandable, and relatable. He's not so much a caricature as a critique of the role. You can see how he got there and he makes sense.

Claudia took a big step when she killed that deer, she's moving deeper into dark magic now. It might be just psychological but it's a big step. I suspect a similar step is where her father began to slide. Calumm is clearly meant for Rayla and one of them will die before they actually come out and say it. But then again, maybe not, the writers are clearly flying in the face of lazy, generic plotting.

I suspect the princes were wrong in their assessment of Amaya at the winter lodge. I think she would have agreed with the need to return the dragon prince. All you'd have to say is "Viren doesn't want it to happen" and I suspect she'd be right on board. She's seen what his plans lead to twice, it's just the princes don't realize this, being young and all.

Averous was probably locked in the mirror for teaching humans dark magic in the first place. Think about it.

I suspect we'll find Zadia full of angry elves and dragons who want a war of extermination with the humans. I don't think bringing back the dragon prince will convince them.
I admit, I'm not a fan of Rayla and Calumn versus Claudia but I fear the latter is the Azula.

I agree on the elves.

I fully believe that Viren is aware that the elves are the Thalmor not Tolkien's group.

Coyote's Own

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The gist of story seem to be that wars are often build on centuries and grudges and reprisals to reprisals, so stopping them is hard and not easy and probably can done with a single gesture.
But teh single gesture is an important start.
Not to mention that Katolis and the Sunfire Elves probably are those who build up the most of the these grudges, and they on border of Xandia and Human kingdoms, and were most ofte at conflict with each other.

shikomekidomi

Validated User
Claudia took a big step when she killed that deer, she's moving deeper into dark magic now. It might be just psychological but it's a big step. I suspect a similar step is where her father began to slide. .
I feel like that's what the show wants us to think, but I'm not 100% clear on why. I mean, if you could save people with spinal injuries that way in the real world we'd have deer factory-farms next to deer slaughterhouses.

Tarion

Validated User
I feel like that's what the show wants us to think, but I'm not 100% clear on why. I mean, if you could save people with spinal injuries that way in the real world we'd have deer factory-farms next to deer slaughterhouses.
Yeah, I have to admit that the "Dark Magic is evil" thing never really landed for me. Don't get me wrong - Killing sapient creatures for power is obviously wrong. But that's the "killing sapient creatures" part. That doesn't really work for me for the non-sapient creatures, or using creatures that died of natural causes (Which was clearly an option in the flashback, where they weren't too bothered to find the giant "dead").

If I had a loved one injured and needed to kill a deer to heal them, pass me the knife. A lot of our medicines use animal products (and animal testing) today, and most people have no problem with that.

Now, with Callum's vision quest, there's definitely an argument that there's something inherently corrupting about dark magic, but that's not really been explored enough for me to really buy it yet (Is that something that happens to all dark mages? Or is it related to Callum's personal journey into magic? And, even if it poses the risk of corruption, I'm not sure there's enough there to say that you can't both do dark magic and maintain control of yourself).

Coyote's Own

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Now, with Callum's vision quest, there's definitely an argument that there's something inherently corrupting about dark magic, but that's not really been explored enough for me to really buy it yet.
There are hints that Viren current powerlust is tied to his using Dark Magic (and he was like that before) and that the guy who invent Dark Magic was dick partially due to it corrupting him.
I'd say te control sample will Claudia since Viren is slippery slope already.

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Claudia's vegetarian and it's probably a big step from sacrificing the souls of caterpillars to sacrificing a bunny or a baby deer. I think the point is that this was significant to Claudia. It'll be interesting to see where she goes from here.

Top Bottom