[Netflix] The Dragon Prince Book 2: Sky (Discussion Thread)

Glamourweaver

Validated User
Calling it now: Claudia’s spell is not a permanent fix. She’s going to have to keep using magic for Soren’s mobility. When he realizes what it’s doing to her he’s going to make her stop and choose to be paralyzed.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Calling it now: Claudia’s spell is not a permanent fix. She’s going to have to keep using magic for Soren’s mobility. When he realizes what it’s doing to her he’s going to make her stop and choose to be paralyzed.
To which she will only agree if he promises to give up poetry.

Dromio

Validated User
The weird thing about Ezran is we have no idea where his powers came from. There's no hint that either of his parents had powers either.
His dad talks to the bird all the time in those first episodes, in much the same way that Ezran talks out loud to animals. And the bird responds. That doesn't mean they're actually conversing of course, but they might be.

Snoof

Time-Travelling Layabout
RPGnet Member
Validated User
He also seems to have a near photographic memory, picking up on complex incantations and magical gestures almost instantly. That probably helps a lot.
Oh yeah. He cast that chains-to-snakes spell after seeing it used once, against him.
Calling it now: Claudia’s spell is not a permanent fix. She’s going to have to keep using magic for Soren’s mobility.
That was my thought too. I suspect it's also going to be less effective every time she uses the spell, making her more and more desperate.

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
I suspect that in the end the corrupting nature of dark magic won't be anything inherent to it, but simply the fact that it offers easy simple straightforward solutions to problems which inclines people to rely on it rather than looking for other options.

Dark Magicians Making Dark Decisions.

Greenfaun

Validated User
I just finished the second season last night and oh man I want more already. So very good.

Some reactions to things that have come up in the thread:
1. Callum definitely, canonically, has a photographic memory. Remember his off-the-cuff perfect recreation of the room in the Banther lodge?

2. I don’t know if humans necessarily have a primal connection to anything, but Aaravos proves it’s possible to learn an arcanum you weren’t born with. It is interesting that it took a dip into dark magic to unlock it in Callum’s case. I think that human magic is the ability to make connections, whether you want to call it psychic or spiritual or whatever, with other creatures. Ezran is unusually talented at it, but it is the basis of dark magic. Dark mages make a connection, then consume the life and also the arcanum of the creature through the connection. Ezran (and possibly Villads with his magic parrot) uses it more symbiotically. So maybe humans were supposed to have the magic of friendship all along, and dark magic is a corruption and betrayal of that?

Head scratchers: Did Aaravos have to first learn human magic in order to forge his connections to the other primal sources’ arcanums? (Arcana?) Did Aaravos invent dark magic or discover it? Is there an actual metaphysical threat involved in the use of Dark magic? Is it “using up” the magic it consumes, taking it out of the world forever? Was the West just as magical as Xadia at the time of the partition and generations of dark magic-users have hunted all the magical creatures to near-extinction, so Xadia isn’t a different magical land but just a magical nature preserve that hasn’t been used up? Is there actually some sort of dark power behind Dark magic or was that demon version of Callum during his vision quest just a dream thing that didn’t mean anything?

Stuff that hasn’t come up in the thread yet:
1. The Banther is totally based on the Gmork from Neverending story. It even made its first appearance moving forward to become visible under a stone arch.

2. Sunlight is highly collimated. (On our world, at least, I guess) This means that unless physics are different because magic, Azymondias’s shadow would be exactly the same size as Azymondias at any distance and would only have shaded a stone or two at best. Still a cool-looking scene but my pedantic brain gets hung up on stuff like that. :)

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
2. Sunlight is highly collimated. (On our world, at least, I guess) This means that unless physics are different because magic, Azymondias’s shadow would be exactly the same size as Azymondias at any distance and would only have shaded a stone or two at best. Still a cool-looking scene but my pedantic brain gets hung up on stuff like that. :)
My personal hand wave is that because the area had lava and such, there were a lot of fine particulates in the area that acted as a diffuser. It doesn’t really work, but it’s close enough. Other headcannon: a dragons shadow shows them as their full adult size even as infants.

shikomekidomi

Validated User
The length of your shadow definitely changes throughout the day and early morning (when the scene is set) is one of the times it is longest. You can test this.

Depending on the time of day, Azomondias' shadow could be longer or shorter than he is.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
My personal hand wave is that because the area had lava and such, there were a lot of fine particulates in the area that acted as a diffuser. It doesn’t really work, but it’s close enough. Other headcannon: a dragons shadow shows them as their full adult size even as infants.
The length of your shadow definitely changes throughout the day and early morning (when the scene is set) is one of the times it is longest. You can test this.

Depending on the time of day, Azomondias' shadow could be longer or shorter than he is.

Are you guys talking about the Dragon Prince blockign the light?
My "headcanon", which I assume is canon, is that he was directly blocking the sun, not using his shadow.

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User

To be pedantic: it's not really the time of day, so much as the angle between the light and the surface you're casting your shadow on. So that would make the shadow longer, but not wider (unless they were in a concave surface, but they weren't because lava should level off like any other fluid).

Another thing is that the light was effectively passing through a hole in some rocks, and so diffraction could maybe be causing a lensing effect of somesort. Enough to cause the effect we saw? I dunno.

I would be pleased if this was a subtle hint that the sun in this world is significantly closer than ours, but what I really expect is that the writers didn't have a physics consultant on staff (and didn't bother to try and block out the situation themselves, or if they did block it out they used a stage light and not the sun).

Top Bottom