[Netflix] The Dragon Prince Book 2: Sky (Discussion Thread)

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Watching S2E2:

Spoiler: Show
I'm feeling morally conflicted watching a cartoon where a teenage girl is discussing the positive morality of killing magical creatures for power, while her teenage brother is actively trying to murder a young child who is his liege, all while simultaneously thoroughly enjoying the show.

I feel... tainted. Also, humans are jerks.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
I do so appreciate the training in propaganda resistance, though. The show does an excellent job of portraying the injustice of lying to gain power, and I like that it's the young people who are best at resisting it.

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
Don't worry
There a strong chance that Elves are jerks too.
Aside of anything else they sent an assassin to kill two innocent kids out of vegence
Hey now,

technically the elves only sent assassins to kill one innocent kid. Callum just tried to toss himself on the grenade.

Knaight

Validated User
The assassination attempts are way, way down the list of why the elves are jerks. Significantly higher is that the whole situation opened with the elves enacting a bonafide ethnic cleansing on the humans, then after that also proceeded to terrorize them with their allies (a dragon flying over a town repeatedly while not attacking is roughly equivalent to hovering an attack helicopter over one and pointing its guns at some civilian housing, but not actually shooting).

Atlictoatl

Validated User
The assassination attempts are way, way down the list of why the elves are jerks. Significantly higher is that the whole situation opened with the elves enacting a bonafide ethnic cleansing on the humans, then after that also proceeded to terrorize them with their allies (a dragon flying over a town repeatedly while not attacking is roughly equivalent to hovering an attack helicopter over one and pointing its guns at some civilian housing, but not actually shooting).
That's an interesting reframing of what we know. We don't ultimately know much (and I'll note that it's Aaravos, who seems an unreliable narrator, who does the narration in S1E1), but the precipitating event we were given was that humans developed Dark Magic, which explicitly destroys magical life in order to power itself. We're told not that an ethnic cleansing occurred, but a forced exodus; which certainly has its own issues, but isn't 'ethnic cleansing'. We also have no knowledge of whether or not the 'terrorist dragon' was acting alone.

In any event, the world of the series is full of shortsightedness, blind loyalty, horrible justifications for actions, and an overt willingness to demonize the enemy on every side of the conflict. Voices of tempered reason seem few and far between. Based on what we've been given, though, I certainly wouldn't label the denizens of Xadia as the antagonists. It seems pretty clear that practitioners of Dark Magic are the villains of the world, causing great suffering predominantly for their own grasping for power.

Top Bottom