[Netflix] The Dragon Prince Book 2: Sky (Discussion Thread)

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
Note, that's a plan cooked up by a bunch of naive kids who don't have all the information. The chance of it working on it's own are pretty slim.
I don't think Callum and Rayla are naive enough to think returning the prince is going to fix everything by itself. Ezra maybe at the start of the second season, but I think he's lost some innocence by the end of it.

Though in terms of at some point someone is going to have to let past injuries go, Ezra would have some great moral high ground if he was the one personally who returned the prince.

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
That doesn't follow. If the humans are the ones primarily agitating for war right now, returning the Dragon Prince wouldn't stop the humans pushing for war at all.

No, it's more likely that currently Virren and some factions on the Xadian side are pushing for war, both using arguments based on future threats and perceived (and actual) past wrongs. Returning the Prince will defang a lot of the arguments of the Xadian warmongers, giving a chance for their more moderate factions to take control, while Ezran can try to use his position as king to counter Viren.
War's already been declared, by action if not words. We haven't seen it, but we are told that the humans went in and killed the Dragon King, the entity who watches over the forced divide between humans and Xadia. They also are thought to have killed his heir. It would be reasonable for the Xadians to assume that that's because they intend to cross the divide, essentially invading Xadia. Why else kill the Dragon King?

The elves retaliated against Harrow and his heir, but there isn't exactly evidence of any attempt to invade, aside from the possibility of reinforcements at the border that Viren -- if he's not making that up -- is trying to spin as an invasionary force.

If the son and heir of the human king that led the attack on the Dragon King returns the living Dragon Prince and can demonstrate not only his desire for peace, but his sincere appreciation of the Xadian people, it stands to reason that the Xadians could be persuaded to stand down.

The only human pushing for war is Viren. The other royal leaders of the human nations have stated a willingness to go along with that if everyone else does, except for the one human ruler who has emphatically stated that she will not support an invasion, effectively killing that initiative. Viren is a traitor in his own state; the authorities are attempting to restrain him. Should the step-son of the King return and speak for his brother, the Prince, and denounce Viren, and especially should the Prince himself return and denounce Viren, and they can succeed in imprisoning him, there is no human agenda for war. Even the leading generals seem to be anti-invasion.

shikomekidomi

Validated User
War's already been declared, by action if not words. We haven't seen it, but we are told that the humans went in and killed the Dragon King, the entity who watches over the forced divide between humans and Xadia. They also are thought to have killed his heir. It would be reasonable for the Xadians to assume that that's because they intend to cross the divide, essentially invading Xadia. Why else kill the Dragon King?
Sure, so now there likely are factions in Xadia agitating to invade. It'd explain the red dragon.
The only human pushing for war is Viren.
That's exactly what I said.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
I feel this season gave a good argument the 'fire' side of supernaturals are presumable pushing for all out war, most likely lead by the big red dragon Rayla freaked out about in the last scene.

-Naxuul

Snoof

Time-Travelling Layabout
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I feel this season gave a good argument the 'fire' side of supernaturals are presumable pushing for all out war, most likely lead by the big red dragon Rayla freaked out about in the last scene.
Possibly with revenge for the death of the titan as casus belli.

Daztur

Seoulite
Validated User
Why else kill the Dragon King?
Bit late to the party here, just finished up the second season last night. This bit seems like a sticking point to me. Why did the humans kill the Dragon King? Seems like a lot of difficulty and danger with a big risk of blowback, what made the humans do it, especially since pretty much all the humans we see are not acting very jingoistic except for Viren of course.

For this second season the pacing was a bit weird with a lot of digressions and flashbacks and a lot of time spent with the plot in a holding pattern up at the moon lake. Also while I love Claudi and Soren as characters having those two wonderful goofballs take on the role of antagonists for most of the season drained off a lot of drama.

Last two episodes were great though, the second season ended with a nice bang and set up the next one wonderfully.

Still, so so so many enjoyable characters (massive step up Korra where the comic relief goofball was aggravating rather than endearing and the only characters I really loved were Tenzin who was perfect and Noatak who made an incredible villain). One thing I liked is that Katara (in Avatar) and Korra (in Korra) always felt like stock characters hired from central casting and while they were basically fine (and at least not boring like Mako and Asami) they never really rose that far above the narrative niche that was carved out for them. Here I really love just about all of the main cast, but if you gave me an elevator pitch describing, say, Ezran and Rayla I'd roll my eyes a bit and wouldn't be too excited. But both of them really WORK as characters and their comedy is so different and so tightly tied into their character (rather than just giving them random quips) that they're always making me smile (especially the snow elf and Ezran's dreams). Callum started out as a bit dry but he's been growing on me.

And Soren and Claudia being such goofballs does drain some of the drama away but they're probably the most lovable antagonists I've ever seen. Especially since Soren who is very very close to how I've RPed some of my favorite PCs, right down to the awful haikus.

edit: for other points I thought the invocation of Rawl's veil of ignorance was pretty ham-fisted and didn't really work but I liked how they used Soren to show why basically good people can do horrible things, he decided his dad was smart and trusted his dad to know what's best instead of using his own moral reasoning, which feels very human and easy to grasp.

junglefowl26

Validated User
I get the feeling that the dragon king was killed in revenge for the queens that were killed in the fire titan raid. Cycle of revenge thing.

Daztur

Seoulite
Validated User
I get the feeling that the dragon king was killed in revenge for the queens that were killed in the fire titan raid. Cycle of revenge thing.
Yeah makes sense, feel dumb having forgotten that obvious point, still seems at odds with what we know about Harren's nature since he had to have known that the blowback wouldn't have been worth it, would like to see more background than that. Guess we didn't see him in full-blown vengeful grief mode.

Daztur

Seoulite
Validated User
I think the framing of the famine as a zero-sum game does make Harrow look dumber, and it's not all that realistic. Splitting the available food between the two populations, in combination with rationing, probably should be saving lives overall. And that would make Viren's outlook more clearly selfish. It's arguable that putting your own people above foreigners is right square in the job description of a king, true, but then that becomes the moral point Harrow is standing on.
Yeah that bit pinged my BSometer too, made it feel like some kind of abstract parable instead of a living breathing world. You didn't have to do into the nitty gritty of rationing but what they gave us just felt lazy. I've got some issues with the plot and pacing of this season but I really like a lot of the characters so am looking forward to the next season.

Verenes Aoene

Transhumanist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I heard from some friends about habe good this is, so I decided to check it out.

Oh. My. God. It's so great. I could tell the world had such a rich backstory behind it, even in the first episode. The magic is SO COOL. I LOVED the Moonshadow ritual the assassins did, and the runes are a neat touch.

AND OH MY GOD DARK MAGIC!

It's so cool! anytime I hear that chanting I get excited. It's really interesting how you get to see a corruptive side of it later at the end. It's funny, looking back it was probably supposed to be coded as evil, but seeing as how I don't have much love for Mother Nature it doesn't seem as evil to me. It feels balanced too, the limitations of either one Arcanum in Primal magic or the need for components in Dark Magic.

And I like the characters. there's a lot of grey it seems. And Viren's slow decent into evil is interesting, and so is Claudia and her brother's torn morality.
and they also tend to talk about their feelings rather than bottle them up for cheap drama. There are a few times when the characters all but turn and look at the screen while they tell their younger audience the moral of the story, but I don't notice that too often. Just wanted to rant a bit before I read the rest of the thread. I look forward to the next season!

Top Bottom