• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Netflix] The Dragon Prince Book 2: Sky (Discussion Thread)

LordofArcana

Validated User
I'm pretty sure Callum's magical skill is because he's learned how to draw well and has a good memory, not because he is inherently a mage. That's why there was all that time initially about how he likes to draw and everyone thinks its basically useless.

I don't know about other people, but to me someone who contends with magic users while having no magic of their own is much more awesome than someone who matches magic with magic.

Whatever the reason humans couldn't learn primal arcana before Callum somehow managed to should be explored and done away with so they can pursue it if they want to. But those who choose not to aren't "less", nor would the entire human race be "less" if they were completely incapable of magic.
It depends on how matching magic to magic works. Oftentimes magic has a lot less implied tactical depth than non-magic, but it could be reversed. Would it really be impressive if someone defeated a Jedi padawan by carpetbombing the area?

Rayla could presumably learn moon magic but has trained as an assassin instead. The investment required is shown to be quite large and that means there's a lot of opportunity cost. Is learning the piano better than not? Of course. Is it better than learning how to dance? Maybe not.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm pretty sure Callum's magical skill is because he's learned how to draw well and has a good memory, not because he is inherently a mage. That's why there was all that time initially about how he likes to draw and everyone thinks its basically useless.
The way Claudia talks about your either a Mage or your not.
You don't become a Mage.

Morty

Validated User
You don't become a Mage.
And the way Lujanne talks about it, Callum should never have been able to master the sky arcanum. And yet, here we are. It's safe to say that people's knowledge about magic has some holes in it. As far as dark magic goes, being "born" a mage would directly go against its very purpose - to give magic to people who supposedly have none, by drawing from outside sources.

Rainfall

Validated User
You don't become a Mage.
Does it not fly into the face of what Dark Magic is for in the first place? The whole point is being able to do the arcane stuff without having a connection to the arcane...

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Imo "you're either a mage or aren't" is more like saying "you either get maths or don't".

Soren is pointed out as not being good at magic (and why his father is disappointed in him?) but Soren doesn't look the type to memorize magic formulas, keep in mind the metaphysical/elemental properties of reagents etc.

Logos Invictus

Validated User
Magic as it has been depicted so far in The Dragon Prince isn't just a tool or knowledge set, it is a sense of connectedness between an individual and the natural world. Early on, we are told that humans don't have that connectedness and can't ever attain it, only steal it/take it from the people to whom it was given freely. This is a pretty clear analogue to a lot of real world racism and classism and the beliefs held by the privileged, and it's a depiction of magic that runs closer to the genre of romantic fantasy (ie Blue Rose, Thr Hero and the Crown, etc.) than it does to settings where magic is just a tool set or some otherworldly force. Overcoming the long held beliefs of both human Dark mages and elven mages to forge that connection is pretty much exactly in line with that genre, and it works here because its not just 'humans can learn magic', its 'humans can attain the thing which has been denied to them by the prejudiced actions and beliefs of others'. Especially in light of the fact that we have two human characters who clearly have some connection to the natural world that approaches the level of magic, even if they don't cast spells.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Magic as it has been depicted so far in The Dragon Prince isn't just a tool or knowledge set, it is a sense of connectedness between an individual and the natural world. Early on, we are told that humans don't have that connectedness and can't ever attain it, only steal it/take it from the people to whom it was given freely. This is a pretty clear analogue to a lot of real world racism and classism and the beliefs held by the privileged, and it's a depiction of magic that runs closer to the genre of romantic fantasy (ie Blue Rose, Thr Hero and the Crown, etc.) than it does to settings where magic is just a tool set or some otherworldly force. Overcoming the long held beliefs of both human Dark mages and elven mages to forge that connection is pretty much exactly in line with that genre, and it works here because its not just 'humans can learn magic', its 'humans can attain the thing which has been denied to them by the prejudiced actions and beliefs of others'. Especially in light of the fact that we have two human characters who clearly have some connection to the natural world that approaches the level of magic, even if they don't cast spells.
That's what Mother's Basement thinks they're going for, and I must say, from that perspective I don't mind Dark Magic being ultimately bad. I just hope (and think, because this show is impressively emotionally mature) that it's shown that there really wasn't any better options for the original Dark Mages.

Part of this is because I'm getting a Kreia vibe from Aaravos, and the world needs more Kreia stand-ins to take the piss out of Lawful Stupid and be untrustworthy useful mentors. That kind of thing is a good way to really take a knife to the core motives of the elves in the initial exile.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
That's what Mother's Basement thinks they're going for, and I must say, from that perspective I don't mind Dark Magic being ultimately bad. I just hope (and think, because this show is impressively emotionally mature) that it's shown that there really wasn't any better options for the original Dark Mages.

Part of this is because I'm getting a Kreia vibe from Aaravos, and the world needs more Kreia stand-ins to take the piss out of Lawful Stupid and be untrustworthy useful mentors. That kind of thing is a good way to really take a knife to the core motives of the elves in the initial exile.
Who's Kreia?

LordofArcana

Validated User
Who's Kreia?
The mentor figure from KotOR2. Her main trait was telling you that you were wrong and an idiot, no matter what you did. Many of her students became Sith, she was herself only sort of Sith but was called "Darth Traya" so take that qualification with a grain of salt. She was not a fan of the force and wanted to try to kill it.

Top Bottom