• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Netflix] The Dragon Prince Book 2: Sky (Discussion Thread)

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
The mentor figure from KotOR2. Her main trait was telling you that you were wrong and an idiot, no matter what you did. Many of her students became Sith, she was herself only sort of Sith but was called "Darth Traya" so take that qualification with a grain of salt. She was not a fan of the force and wanted to try to kill it.
She was also very good at being a teacher and disliked both Jedi and Sith for entirely legitimate reasons, and given how KotOR2 ends, canonically the Jedi Order we see in the movies is founded at least partially on her philosophies (going by Legends canon).

This does not detract from the fact she is also a huge jerk, but anecdotally, keep in mind that Kreia revealing herself to be Darth Traya takes one of two ways depending on if the Exile (the main character) is Light or Dark Side. If Light side, she reveals her true Sith capabilities as a consequence of saving the Exile from the surviving Jedi Masters, as they reveal they don't care that the Exile has been a frankly good person, only that she (the Exile is canonically female) is a wound in the Force, and kinda maybe sorta possibly will become a threat if she follows Darth Nihilus' example and becomes a Force vampire (keep in mind the Exile killed Nihilus and was only able to due to being a wound in the Force able to drain his powers, and that your party has become heroic badasses because the Exile forms Force bonds as easily as she breathes due to the same reason), so they're going to remove her ability to perceive the Force all over and send her to an even worse hellhole then she was in at the start of the game. Only in the case of the Dark Side does she actively betray and try to kill the Exile - because she's been such a horrible person that she's proved the Jedi's point, that a wound in the Force can only leave suffering and death in its wake, and besides, the Dark Exile is also really Stupid Evil, which she haaaates. Also that she, mechanically, forgives Light Sided violations of her philosophy a lot more readily than Dark Sided ones.

EDIT: Though taking anything Kreia says with a grain of salt is a good idea; she's perhaps the best liar in the Star Wars universe.

Phantom Grunweasel

Situation Normal Oll Korrect
Validated User
This discussion has me thinking. I watched and enjoyed both seasons of The Dragon Prince, but during a pretty busy/stressful time in my life. I think I missed a fair bit. If I wanted to refresh my memory (especially on key plot stuff like Callum's growth as a mage and the greater mysteries of the setting) before the next season comes out, without watching the whole thing again, what episodes would people recommend rewatching?

Daztur

Seoulite
Validated User
Her sister seemed a pretty awesome fighter as well.

BTW:
I'm wondering if Collum will learn multiple Arcana.
It would somewhat funny for Sokka to go through Aang's arc. ;)
Seriously though, my favorite thing about Dragon prince is we seem to have a whole legion of Sokkas. The Legend of Korra suffered horribly due to its lack of Sokkas. Bolin was the closest we got and he just didn't work for me at all. In RPGs my PCs tend to gravitate towards the Sokka/Soren type so this matters a good bit to me...

Rainfall

Validated User
Seriously though, my favorite thing about Dragon prince is we seem to have a whole legion of Sokkas. The Legend of Korra suffered horribly due to its lack of Sokkas. Bolin was the closest we got and he just didn't work for me at all. In RPGs my PCs tend to gravitate towards the Sokka/Soren type so this matters a good bit to me...
Same for me. I love badass normals.

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Same for me. I love badass normals.
I consider Asami to be the "Sokka" of Legend of Korra, but I guess that depends on which aspect of Sokka we each find appealing (but we can all agree that Sokka is the best, right?). Bumi is maybe even more Sokka (for awhile, anyways, again depending of which aspects you find essential).

Speaking of, did we ever discover what happened to the actual Sokka?

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I consider Asami to be the "Sokka" of Legend of Korra, but I guess that depends on which aspect of Sokka we each find appealing (but we can all agree that Sokka is the best, right?).
IMO LoK split Sokka into two characters: Asami (the Baddass Normal and Inventor) and Bolin (the surprisingly badass comic relief).

Morty

Validated User
Speaking of, did we ever discover what happened to the actual Sokka?
He served on the Republic City Council before it became a bender-only affair for whatever reason, then presumably passed away from old age. We only see him in a flashback and as a statue.

ATLA was mostly the genre standard in treating "non-magical" folks in a fantasy setting. LOK drops the ball on this so hard it kills Chin the Conqueror - the first season's message is essentialy "no, non-benders don't actually matter, don't be silly". Then it's just Asami and Bumi, the latter of whom is useless and then becomes an airbender.

Dragon Prince seems to mostly follow in ATLA's footsteps - we've got some badass non-magical characters like Amaya and Corvus, but magicians are the ones that matter. Well, I guess Rayla doesn't really count as a magic-user. The only magic we've seen her use is becoming invisible in the moonlight. And without magic elves and humans seem to be roughly evenly matched. It's dragons that humans can't hope to survive against without magic.

Last edited:

Daztur

Seoulite
Validated User
I consider Asami to be the "Sokka" of Legend of Korra, but I guess that depends on which aspect of Sokka we each find appealing (but we can all agree that Sokka is the best, right?). Bumi is maybe even more Sokka (for awhile, anyways, again depending of which aspects you find essential).
Asami had some of Sokka's aspects but managed to bore me and Sokka never ever did that. For me at least Bolin came the closest to Sokka in LoK but managed to be annoying rather than funny. The only LoK regular I really loved was Tenzin. Season 1 did have an incredible villain though but they never really nailed the TLA humor the way Dragon Prince does (at least for me).

For me in Dragon Prince Callum, Soren, and Gren (who I really want to see more of) channel bits of Sokka's lovable earnest dumbassery. Don't care about him being a badass normal so much as him being funny.

My PCs are usually non-magical but it's their Sokka-like brand of thickheaded earnestness that makes me care about them not their lack of magic.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
This discussion has me thinking. I watched and enjoyed both seasons of The Dragon Prince, but during a pretty busy/stressful time in my life. I think I missed a fair bit. If I wanted to refresh my memory (especially on key plot stuff like Callum's growth as a mage and the greater mysteries of the setting) before the next season comes out, without watching the whole thing again, what episodes would people recommend rewatching?
It's reasonably heavily serialized in that an episode will have subtext or implications on stuff you learned in earlier or will learn in later episodes. The Elves drove humans to marginal land thing is partly based on the opening narration, which mentions the forced migration, but the marginal land causing mass famine is only something we learn half way through season 2.

S1E4, S1E5, S2E1, S2E4, S2E7-9 probably deal the most directly with Callum's magical development but honestly, I've seen this series through about 3 times and would gladly do so again and again and again. You won't be wasting your time if you give it a full re-watch ahead of the August 30 debut of season 3.

Top Bottom