• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Netflix] The End of Evangelion, Death and Rebirth, and NGE General Spoilers Thread

ZeroGirl00

Validated User
This thread is for discussion of the films Evangelion: Death & Rebirth, The End of Evangelion, and the series in general, which arrives on Netflix at 3:01 AM EST on June 21st. When you read this, it'll be several minutes before... afterwards, you'll be free to enjoy it!

Here's a link to the series. https://www.netflix.com/title/81033445

This release is a monumental event, the first time this series is legally available in the United States in nearly 15 years. With this release, a whole new generation of people around the world can watch what's really a damn good series... and because it's so huge an event, there is apparently a brand new dub involved, and the show is so full of spoilers for newcomers, we decided a full Netflix Premiere series of threads was worthwhile!

All spoilers of the series are allowed for the original series and movies. Don't spoil the New Theatrical Version that began in 2007, please. Discussion of the series' two different dubs should probably be in spoiler blocks, as the old classic dub will apparently not be available here. Thank you, and Congratulations!

Episodes 1-6
Episodes 7-12
Episodes 13-18
Episodes 19-24
Episodes 25-26

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I watched the series a number of years ago (Netflix disk) and EoE last night. Am I correct in reading EVA-01 as becoming a new Lilith, heading for the stars? There were flashback scenes where Shinji's mom was talking about how the EVAs would be immortal, and then when the instrumentality ended, and she said good bye to Shinji, it seemed different from everyone else reincorporating.

ZeroGirl00

Validated User
Yui, within Unit 01, will remain as an immortal monument to humanity, and will float in space forever. I personally doubt she will be able to create new life on a new planet, but I kinda don't think it's impossible, now that you mention it. I expect she just wanted to be a giant robot, though. Quick, ask her her opinion on Gundams. Does she feel a kinship to the protagonist of Gundam 00? Does she envy Ein from IBO? That'll answer the question quick.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm taking my rewatch slowly, so I dont expect getting to EoE till the weekend probably. But for all I remember, I never got conclusive proof of the claim EoE was Anno saying "Fuck you all" to the "fans" that wanted the "real end", but boy did it feel like it.

And I shudder to think what people nowadays will make out of some of the stuff there.

Siphonaptera

up to no good
Validated User
Since I haven't rewatched for a couple of decades my plan is to rewatch the Asuka vs Eva Series fight before starting from the top as a more impactful media res approach than what I recall as the start of the series.

Any reason why this might be a bad idea?

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...

So watched Eps 1-24 then End of Eva- I had intended to stop at the Instrumentality and go back to watch 25/26 as another aspect of Shinji's ego death and rebirth but got caught up in the moment.

I think the central theme comes through very strongly: we want to be close to other people, but other people hurt us, so we put walls around our heart, which leaves us lonely, so we want to be close to other people, but other people hurt us...

I definitely appreciate this theme more now that I'm older. Having been close to someone I love but having hurt them deeply, I'm absolutely in a place where i can identify (rather uncomfortably closely) with poor Shinji.

One thing I'm not clear on plot wise: Is it the case that Gendo only wanted Instrumentality to unite him with Yui, and not affect the rest of Humanity? And that Rei rejected his plan, and extended Instrumentality to all of Humanity, as Seele wanted?

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
One thing I'm not clear on plot wise: Is it the case that Gendo only wanted Instrumentality to unite him with Yui, and not affect the rest of Humanity? And that Rei rejected his plan, and extended Instrumentality to all of Humanity, as Seele wanted?
My read on it was that Gendo wanted Instrumentality to get Yui out of Eva Unit 1 (against her wishes), the rest of the world be damned. If that wasn't an option, then he would have had Instrumentality encompass all of humanity forever, and he could have done that had he been in control of Instrumentality (that he could have done with Adam in his hand). However, by taking Gendo's hand off, Rei was able to choose who would be in the driver's seat for Instrumentality - and she picked Shinji.

EDIT: Rei choosing Shinji means that Shinji was in a position to end Instrumentality, should he chose to do so, and he chose to do so. Gendo would never have made that decision. Neither would have any of the members of SEELE.

Last edited:

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
See, I don't see the Lake of LCL as the Bad End. Rather it's the final culmination of the human project: we are finally able to know and be accepted by those we love, utterly and finally.

If anything its poor Asuka and Shinji who get the Bad End, having been too hurt by the world prior to its apotheosis to allow themselves to lower the walls around their heart. Shinji at least wants to try, though, which is a start.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
See, I don't see the Lake of LCL as the Bad End. Rather it's the final culmination of the human project: we are finally able to know and be accepted by those we love, utterly and finally.
However, it happens at the cost of any sense of self - "You" do not get to know and be accepted by those "you" love, because there is no longer any "you". There is also no "them" either.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Maybe I'm just odd, because I don't really attach that much importance to my own ego.

Then again I was the only guy in Philosophy 101 who said "if it can be done without placing a burden on anyone else, hells yeah sign me up to the lotus eater machine."

Top Bottom