• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Netflix] Wu Assassins aka Holy Neo-90s Schlock, Batman!

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
Hey I'll stop by for the mark, but I'll stay for the summer.

But yeah, this has to be awesome. It has to be. Or there's something wrong with the universe. Gonna look this up tonight, thanks for the heads up.
Summer Decastos? xD

Cult Classic

A cautionary tale
Validated User
I've only just watched the first episode, but I'm hooked pretty hard.

You know, it kind of reminds me of Yukaza Zero. I mean that in the best possible way.

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I finished it earlier and liked it quite a bit.

Spoiler: Show
A few minor gripes first:

Not enough Summer Glau and especially not enough Marc Dacascos.

There was a weird shift about 4 episodes in where McCollough's plan changed from "GLOBAL DOMINATION!!!" to "I just want my family back" and I'm not sure what happened there.

The scenes at the restaurant after the climatic battle felt just a little off and I almost expected it to turn out Kai was inside some kind of astral plane dreamscape still.

But otherwise OMG SO MUCH FUN. Great casting, great fights (the sounds during the battle scenes were just amazing), gonzo nonsense plot.

And Uncle Six. Can we talk about Uncle Six for a minute? Easily one of the most compelling villains in a recent genre show, IMO. A violent, sexist criminal, but more than that, too. And played perfectly by ::checks notes:: Byron Mann.

Overall, 8/10.

I hope Netflix greenlights season 2 ASAP. The threads of Zan vs the gang, Miss June's roaring rampage of revenge, and whatever gonzo nonsense Ying Ying is up to now would be great to behold.

Antendren

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just finished it myself. Lots of fun, great fight scenes, and some compelling characters.

Glau and Dacascos were criminally under used. They also didn't get much mileage out of the face thing, so I'm not sure what it was for.

Things got rather jumbled towards the end, with some threads dropped or rushed, like CG recovering control from Metal. It lasted all of a scene and then was undone off camera, and it seems like its only purpose was to justify Kai reaching the shipping yard---but that only gave us a random fight that accomplished nothing other than showing that Kai seems to have no problem killing now. They could have skipped that, have McCollough give the meeting location via phone, and spent the time on something else. Maybe some more Six?

The main plot wasn't quite on an Indiana Jones level of self-defeating villains, but it was close.

Hoping for a season 2.

Burgonet

Retired user
Validated User
I'm struggling to get through this - while I like the actors overall the story is weak and a few fights scenes alone aren't nursing me through the paper tiger plot.
Still, it exists, which is nice.

Antendren

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, I forgot to add...

I was expecting the warrior who killed Ying Ying and shattered the shell to turn up as another immortal. Maybe for next season.

Cloud Divider

Validated User
I'm up to episode....8? The one where Kai and Six go on a father-and-son road trip to hunt another elemental Kung Fu master. Like you do. Definitely enjoying it.

It's taking a bit to get back into the habit of the unusual gonzo genre - I can't remember the last time there was a good Hong Kong Triad crime and revenge show that grafted on urban fantasy by way of Avatar the last Airbender. Sort of like Big Trouble in Little China, but with less camp. Though both take place in San Francisco (some kind of throwback to BTinLC would be pretty awesome).

The show is definitely not one to try and multitask to. A lot happens fairly quickly, and I'm probably going to have to go back and rewatch a bunch of episodes. ("Wait, we're on a road trip now?" when I looked away for a bit to deal with some emails.)

Kai's actor almost seems to be channeling classic Jackie Chan, between the improvised-weapon Kung Fu and the accent. If I look away, I keep expecting to see Jackie on screen when I look back.

I really like the cast. I like the chemistry of the gang of grown up Meddling Kids, their complex relationship web, and how growing up and life is making them push the limits of those relationship bonds. And pull together to punch people in the face.

Six is also really good, as a developed villain. And I don't know why, but I really got a kick out of his speech in the diner. Yeah, a little overkill, but Six isn't one to tolerate ignorance. Or that kind of subtle racism (which became overt when the other yokels showed up). I'm...not quite sure how I feel about a barroom brawl bonding moment between the LG son and the ruthless LE mob boss who casually set people on fire...

Cloud Divider

Validated User
Two other things. First) I really like what they did with the soundtrack. Particularly the French version of "These Boots Were Made for Walking" as build-up to a giant beat-down in episode 8 (Girls Night).

Second) they really like to play with reverse chronological storytelling and lots of extended flashbacks to explain how we got to the present of this scene. It really works sometimes (like aforementioned Boots Walking scene), but is really confusing if you're not paying attention or otherwise miss the header text framing the scene (Bob: Two Hours Ago). There's what, four or five of those flashbacks to show what the different players are doing in the hours leading up to the convergence of a giant badass fight in the police precinct. It's got a great payoff, and is probably the best way to actually show what's really going on.

Aside: something really suspicious is going on with Kai's grandfatherly neighbor. He was giving off some super creepy vibe dropping in at Master Wah's...

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Aside: something really suspicious is going on with Kai's grandfatherly neighbor. He was giving off some super creepy vibe dropping in at Master Wah's...
Oh, thank God, I thought it was just me. He's got some skeletons in his closet, I think. Note how easily he figured out what Kai was up to with the poison. How many grocers would put those pieces together?

Top Bottom