• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Netflix] Wu Assassins aka Holy Neo-90s Schlock, Batman!

Asklepios

Validated User
Finally got round to starting this, and gave up on it before the first episode was finished.

The "real world" type stuff was acted like a bad 1980s HK movie, with flat camerawork, really weak characterisation, poor acting and cliches falling off the screen in every direction. There's a police briefing scene with a clearly protagonist cool character soaking up the camera's love for no reason, and wisecracking to the room. There's a brother whose in with the triads. There's an earnest hero who barely emotes. There's triad mooks who decide to attack someone at home because of a gaff over peanuts?

Then suddenly BAM, infodump time, with load of supernatural exposition dropped on us accompanied by cheesy special effects. And this guy is the Wu Assassin? Why? Why him? There's no good reason why this moderately fighty good-hearted chef who doesn't want to be part of his criminal family gets picked out as an agent of destiny. There's no reason why this should happen now. There's no coherence to the narrative.

On the upside, the fight choreography is quite good, and the camerawork during fight scenes is decent.

But the acting, the scripting, the pacing... ugh.

I really wanted to love this, so maybe you guys can convince me that it gets better?

What we did after we failed to get into this was switch to bingewatching a whole season of The Kominsky Method, which was basically the polar opposite: great acting, great scripting, great emotion, could have used more excitement.

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I really wanted to love this, so maybe you guys can convince me that it gets better?
If you didn't like the first episode, I doubt that. I felt it started really strong and then slowly works its way down to "still pretty good I guess" over the episodes.

Asklepios

Validated User
Ah, shame.

I really like the first scene, right up to "I'm a chef". If it had all been at that level, I think I'd have loved it.

Ah well, cheers for the opinion.

Top Bottom