Netflix's The Umbrella Academy

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Well, it's not like anyone else is really suited to take charge, either. Except for 5, maybe, but he keeps taking off to do his own thing.
Spoiler: Show
At the end, it seemed like The Rumour's instincts were much more on target, once she had her wake-up call. Taking responsibility for her part, approaching the situation with concern, caring, and empathy. And loyalty.

Luther didn't even bother taking her perspective, as the victim, into account. He went into weird overprotectiveness for the only family member he really cares about, and almost set the world apocalypse into motion by his inability to see his other sister as a person worthy of that protection.

Boris

I am invincible?
Validated User
I love that the big emotional climax of the season is happening at a kitschy bowling alley with everyone in ugly shoes.

Boris

I am invincible?
Validated User
At the end, it seemed like The Rumour's instincts were much more on target, once she had her wake-up call. Taking responsibility for her part, approaching the situation with concern, caring, and empathy. And loyalty.

Luther didn't even bother taking her perspective, as the victim, into account. He went into weird overprotectiveness for the only family member he really cares about, and almost set the world apocalypse into motion by his inability to see his other sister as a person worthy of that protection.

Yeah, Allison screwed up really badly when confronting Vanya at the cabin, especially starting to use her power. But she has the true and unique superpower of Actually Learning from Mistakes.

SuperG

Validated User
Huh, OK. That wasn't clear to me from the show.

Episode 6 - getting very Miller's Crossing, here.

Episode 7 - something I don't get about the new timeline, what causes Vanya and Leonard to go to his grandma's cabin? In the original they were at his house (or were they?), and she finds her dad's journal there. Also it seems like the police should have still shown up at the Umbrella house to arrest Diego the first time around.

The way 5's appearance at the planning session sends everyone off in different directions is fun to watch. Reminds me a bit of that Community episode.

Kinda interesting that Hazel and Cha Cha still get the orders to kill each other, since those were sent before 5 jumped back into the past. Or maybe they shouldn't have gotten them in the original timeline? The causality here is making my head hurt.
I don't think the show even hints at the other children dying - so I strongly suspect that if the show takes off and they need to make season N, they'll have had there be other survivors and darn the comics continuity. After all, while there is other weird stuff in play, some economy of divergence is called for for a television show (all the weirdness we've seen has either been the 43, Hargreaves, or the evil-time-cops), and it's a good premise - 43 special children born on one specific day.

Cult Classic

A cautionary tale
Validated User
Okay, skimming around through this thread and others, I guess I need to recheck a couple of assumptions:

1. In episode 10 wasn't it implied that...
Hargreeves was the one who somehow caused the 43 to be born in the first place? I mean, isn't that what those strange lights we see him releasing in the past were about? Were there 43 of them?)

2. Also, back in episode 9 don't we learn that Vanya...
Was some kind of remorseless sociopath as a child, killing whoever was around on a whim, and thus kinda justifying/explaining the decisions Hargreeves made to isolate/mindwipe her in the first place?

I dunno, I was binge watching the show at an alarming rate while trying to grade a bazillion essays, so maybe I just misinterpreted those scenes.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Also, back in episode 9 don't we learn that Vanya...
Was some kind of remorseless sociopath as a child, killing whoever was around on a whim, and thus kinda justifying/explaining the decisions Hargreeves made to isolate/mindwipe her in the first place?
Yeah, she killed a lot of caretakers as a child, and didn't seem to care at all about it. Not that Hargreeves seemed to, either, or that any of her siblings noticed.

Boris

I am invincible?
Validated User
Yeah, she killed a lot of caretakers as a child, and didn't seem to care at all about it. Not that Hargreeves seemed to, either, or that any of her siblings noticed.
She's really young in those scenes. Maybe Hargreevs could have tried actually raising and educating her and encouraging her to care. Or, I guess, robot mother, isolation chamber and repression.

SuperG

Validated User
Okay, skimming around through this thread and others, I guess I need to recheck a couple of assumptions:

1. In episode 10 wasn't it implied that...
Hargreeves was the one who somehow caused the 43 to be born in the first place? I mean, isn't that what those strange lights we see him releasing in the past were about? Were there 43 of them?)

2. Also, back in episode 9 don't we learn that Vanya...

I dunno, I was binge watching the show at an alarming rate while trying to grade a bazillion essays, so maybe I just misinterpreted those scenes.
No idea on #1. Maybe?

On #2... kinda justified, yeah. The thing is... why keep going? Why those specific choices? Surely there was a better path?

Dave999

Validated User
I don't think the show even hints at the other children dying - so I strongly suspect that if the show takes off and they need to make season N, they'll have had there be other survivors and darn the comics continuity. After all, while there is other weird stuff in play, some economy of divergence is called for for a television show (all the weirdness we've seen has either been the 43, Hargreaves, or the evil-time-cops), and it's a good premise - 43 special children born on one specific day.
There's like two Trades so it's not like there's much comics continuity to damn.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
She's really young in those scenes. Maybe Hargreevs could have tried actually raising and educating her and encouraging her to care. Or, I guess, robot mother, isolation chamber and repression.
It's also worth noting that the Umbrella Academy members are not big on ethics or morality. The Rumor removes people's free will. The Horror tears people in half. The Kraken only throws knives into them...

Still, if your 4 to 7 year old kid is murdering consecutive nannies...

Top Bottom