Netflix's The Umbrella Academy

Vault Dweller

Bard of Hope
Validated User
I'm really loving this so far (currently up to episode 8). In particular, I could happily watch Vanya adorkably dancing on loop for hours...

Am I correct in assuming this setting is more or less an explicitly alternate, retro-modern universe as with Legion or Chilling Adventures of Sabrina? That would seem to be the best explanation for the pervasiveness of payphones and landlines, reliance on newspapers and microfiche readers for research, and apparent lack of smartphones or modern computers in what is canonically 2019.

petros

Validated User
I'm really loving this so far (currently up to episode 8). In particular, I could happily watch Vanya adorkably dancing on loop for hours...

Am I correct in assuming this setting is more or less an explicitly alternate, retro-modern universe as with Legion or Chilling Adventures of Sabrina? That would seem to be the best explanation for the pervasiveness of payphones and landlines, reliance on newspapers and microfiche readers for research, and apparent lack of smartphones or modern computers in what is canonically 2019.
Add MANIAC also from Netflix to that list, but it's got more cyberpunk-now elements. Not only am I a huge fan of this style, I predict we're about to see a whole decade of it.

Vault Dweller

Bard of Hope
Validated User
Possibly the best internet comment I've encountered concerning Episode 1: "We wish we could dance like Diego but we all dance like Luther or Vanya".

So very true, in my case at least!

petros

Validated User
They all seem to have two levels of powers.

Klaus talks to ghosts, and level 2 he can summon them materially.

Five can teleport, and level 2 he can travel through time.

Luther is strong, and level 2 so far is that he's stronger.

Allison can change peoples minds, and level 2 looked to me like she made 'Dancing in the Moonlight' sequence happen for 'real'.

Ben we saw him summon monsters, we don't know his level 2.

Vanya was a generic telekinetic, and level 2 was way more of that.

Diego, though, he's got perfect throwing, and level 2 is perfect dancing. No wonder he's super-bitter, he's got the BEST POWERS, he's actually trying to be BATMAN, and people make fun of him for it.

Chris Tavares

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So having finished bingeing the series this morning,

Spoiler: Show

All the problems could have been solved by the characters being simply decent human beings. Which none of them were at all trained to be by their father.

Everyone spent all their time beating on each other for their weaknesses - Klaus for this addiction and Vanya for her "ordinaryness" for the most part. But from the outside Klaus was obviously self-medicating in order to stop the voices, and Vanya was a textbook abuse survivor, powers or no.

All they needed to do was simply listen and show a little empathy, and everything would have been fine. But no.

What a bunch of broken people. I'm not sure if I liked any of them, but I sure felt sorry for them.

Fedifensor

Validated User
So having finished bingeing the series this morning,

All the problems could have been solved by the characters being simply decent human beings. Which none of them were at all trained to be by their father.

Everyone spent all their time beating on each other for their weaknesses - Klaus for this addiction and Vanya for her "ordinaryness" for the most part. But from the outside Klaus was obviously self-medicating in order to stop the voices, and Vanya was a textbook abuse survivor, powers or no.

All they needed to do was simply listen and show a little empathy, and everything would have been fine. But no.

What a bunch of broken people. I'm not sure if I liked any of them, but I sure felt sorry for them.
I think that’s the whole point. The characters are all broken because the elder Hargreaves didn’t view them as his children. He fostered them to stop the apocalypse. It’s not a very healthy environment to raise children. The one good thing he did was have Grace be there mother...she may be a robot, but she was the most empathetic of all of them, including Pogo.

As for Vanya, I think they made a good choice to portray her the way they did - it gives you more investment in her journey. It’s quite reasonable to think she’s basically a split personality, and her powers bring out that other side. Once her powers were muted, she became a much nicer person. If she was just a sociopath, even without powers she would have been torturing cats or something. She genuinely seemed to care, even if her emotions were numbed due to the drugs.

nexus

Validated User
Just starting watching and really enjoying this so far. Reminds me an awful lot of an ongoing supers rpg setting am I currently, but more cynical, yet still allot fun.

nexus

Validated User
Yes or No question, no Spoilers required: In The Umbrella Academy regarding "The Commission" do they ever bring up just who or what decides what's 'supposed' to happen?

Top Bottom