• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

New Aladdin Trailer- Better!

Isator Levie

Validated User
... Yeah, it's not a shot by shot remake, obviously
That seems like more of a significant deviation in ethos.

Kal-El gets told by his space dad that humanity has a basic capacity for good and eventual greatness, so he should wield his awesome gifts for their benefit both because it's the right thing to do, and to be an inspiration in hopes of bringing out their own best qualities. Clark contextualizes this in terms of his small-town American values of honesty, justice and hard work.

Hercules gets told by his sky dad to do vaguely-defined heroic things so that he can go back to living in the nice place. Hercules doesn't really have values, just non-descript niceness.

King Snarf said:
they're remarkably similar.
It's also remarkably similar to Rocky.

The two flavours don't exactly go together.

King Snarf

Validated User
Ah yes, the well-known man of menace, Tony Shalhoub. His voice like a cobra ready to strike. His eyes like twin coals of burning hate. Truly if we wanted a Jafar to invoke terror and awe, Disney should have gone with Antonio Scarpacci, of Wings fame.
I take it you've never watched Gargoyles.

Susanoo Orbatos

Social Justice Huckster
Validated User
Everyone Knows Hercules was a remake of Star Wars. Godlike being raised on a farm. Good at flying things. Trained by a Weird Hermit who's given up on the world as his last student really screwed the Pooch.

DLathrop

In 'Tia and Luna's Army
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was upset that Gilbert Gottfried wasn't back as Iago, but then I found out it was Alan Tudyk and jeez how much does Disney love hiring Alan Tudyk? Not complaining that's been in every Disney animated movie since Wreck-It Ralph plus a Star War. I love the guy, will watch/listen to him in anything.
All they had to do was say the name "Alan Tudyk", and I'm in. He's one of my favorite actors.

DL

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
I remember my favourite part of Superman is when he responds to news of a disaster with excitement about the opportunity that gives him to show off.
Indeed his enthusiastic rescue of Lois lead to his public unveiling, which his AI-cave-dad gripes at him for.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Indeed his enthusiastic rescue of Lois lead to his public unveiling, which his AI-cave-dad gripes at him for.
I'll admit, I had forgotten about their conversation about his actions being a bit indulgent, although the exchange where Jor-el encourages restraint is nice.

Still, Hercules has trouble being as compelling when he's not really motivated by anything internal.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Looking at the trailer again, does anyone else think that having Jasmine introduced striding in with a tiger at her side makes her look like a villain?

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Sister of Battle
Validated User
Looking at the trailer again, does anyone else think that having Jasmine introduced striding in with a tiger at her side makes her look like a villain?
No. Makes her look awesome. As Princess sidekicks go, Rajah’s pretty high up there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom