• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

New Ban: Do Not Post In Support of Trump or his Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight of Ravens

Validated User
I don't like that things in the world have degenerated to the point that this is necessary. I can't deny that things in the world have degenerated to the point that this is necessary. That's a commentary on the world and not on RPG.net, which I think is responding to events in the best way that it can.

Thank you to the staff for the time, effort, and thought put into the question of whether to implement this ban and how to implement this ban, which I think you've done as clearly as is possible and as narrowly as is necessary to maintain the site's values. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes for the backstage discussion in the lead-up to the implementation of this, nor right now as you deal with the influx of hostile attention that this is attracting. I appreciate every effort you've put in - and continue to put in - to making this site as welcoming as possible for as many people as possible.

Last edited:

Isator Levie

Validated User
The desire to not be associated with the site seems like a very abstract problem, unless one uses the same name elsewhere and expects people to actively be looking for them, finding that they ever posted here, and judging them severely because of that.

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
This thread has included some very useful clarifications of what the policy means in practice. Would it be possible at some future point to incorporate some of that information in the policy statement itself (i.e. post #1)? Particularly since some of the clearest explanation was not made by a moderator (post #416 by Wowood).

As currently written, the policy bans "support of the administration of President Trump" (clause 1) while not "banning conservative politics, or anything on the spectrum of reasonable political viewpoints." Of course, some of what Trump's administration has done is just mainstream conservative politics--for example, his tax cuts. The commentary on the thread makes it clear that a poster could champion such policies, as long as this did not shade over into a more blanket endorsement of Trump (post #422). But the text of the ban itself leaves this more ambiguous; one straightforward reading of it would be that Trump and his administration do not count as usual conservative politics and that the administration's policies cannot be "on the spectrum of reasonable political viewpoints."

I realize that this is unlikely to be an issue at the present time, since the moderators obviously know how they are going to apply the ban. But it is my experience that, over time, rules are applied as they are written, not necessarily as they were originally intended. (This isn't a comment about RPG.net--more about my place of employment). And, much as I hate to say it, we may be stuck with President Trump until 2024. Six years from now, the moderator staff may have had a fair amount of turnover, and the clarifications may be long forgotten.

Frankly, it's not an issue to me personally, since I loathe Trump so much that I would rather have root canal than say something nice about him. I'm much more likely to be banned for useless pedantry, though that is fortunately not against board rules. But I can imagine a conservative and Trump-hating poster wanting to extol the value of, say, pulling out of the Iran Agreement (foolish as that decision was, in my view) and deciding he or she couldn't because of the ban as written.

Novatian

Validated User
The desire to not be associated with the site seems like a very abstract problem, unless one uses the same name elsewhere and expects people to actively be looking for them, finding that they ever posted here, and judging them severely because of that.
Which says nothing good about the people judging them/ places where they get judged that way. I admit I do use this name elsewhere, but I rarely post much here, and I post nothing there anymore (not a judgment against that site, which is fine, but I like the discussions here more).

Regarding the new policy, I am horrified not by the policy, but by the need for it.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This thread has included some very useful clarifications of what the policy means in practice. Would it be possible at some future point to incorporate some of that information in the policy statement itself (i.e. post #1)?
Probably. We'll see how it plays out in practice and edit the rules as necessary. It's not on our radar right now.

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have been thinking on this and I have realized, in my belated way, the obvious.
It says something that the disapprobation of our niche elfgames website has caused a torrent of hatred and a chorus of support.

This is not merely a defensive move.

This is a signal.

This is not only, as XKCD puts it, "showing someone the door" but also setting a limit to behaviour and declaring that behaviour uncivilized and undesirable.

I am a teacher, so I recognise a disciplinary and educational action when I see one and this one was sorely needed.

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have been thinking on this and I have realized, in my belated way, the obvious.
It says something that the disapprobation of our niche elfgames website has caused a torrent of hatred and a chorus of support.

This is not merely a defensive move.

This is a signal.

This is not only, as XKCD puts it, "showing someone the door" but also setting a limit to behaviour and declaring that behaviour uncivilized and undesirable.

I am a teacher, so I recognise a disciplinary and educational action when I see one and this one was sorely needed.
Yes. Part of making sure that the forum is open and welcoming to non-awful folks is letting them know they can post here without having some asshole maga at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom