New Ban: Do Not Post In Support of Trump or his Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Which has been a surprise! We expected to be ignored, or maybe to be brigaded by some alt right folks, but not this.
It's also rather positive, with comparably little concern about frozen peaches.

It would be something if, in the annals of history, *this* was the move that historians agreed brought about massive organized resistance to Trump and led to his fall from power.

UbuRex

99 groups of 99 berzerkers
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Long time lurker, infrequent poster. Just bought a membership in support of this policy.

Mods, thank you for your continued efforts to make this site a better place. I've been lurking around long enough that I remember the days when the site still permitted the use of "gay" as a pejorative, and I'm glad that things have come so far since then.

You've (the mods) often asserted - correctly IMO - that it's impermissible to just ban all political discussion. I think what some people fail to realize is that a request to "keep the politics out" of something is, in fact, a tacit vote in favor of the status quo. And to quote Dr. Horrible, "the status is so not quo."

In any event, thanks, again.

Law Orc

Concerned Citizen
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's also rather positive, with comparably little concern about frozen peaches.
Yeah.

The way 2018 has gone, it's nice to try to do the right thing and have it actually go well.

Seiberwing

Swift as a coursing river
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Long time lurker, infrequent poster. Just bought a membership in support of this policy.

Mods, thank you for your continued efforts to make this site a better place. I've been lurking around long enough that I remember the days when the site still permitted the use of "gay" as a pejorative, and I'm glad that things have come so far since then.
One of the fascinating things about forums, and one I prefer to newer social media models focused around clusters of individual posters instead of community discussions, is how much history you can dig up. This forum's culture a decade ago is...fascinating and terrifying.

Law Orc

Concerned Citizen
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, we've been on a long process of trying to iterate toward being less bad, while a lot of the internet seems to be doing the opposite.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, we've been on a long process of trying to iterate toward being less bad, while a lot of the internet seems to be doing the opposite.
I think it partly comes from how forum like this, while it cares about user numbers, is supported by more than ad revenue and isn't trying to attract investment. Other places don't necessarily police their user base because they need every set of eyeballs possible to have high numbers to attract more funding. That's...not the goal here. It lets the team in charge take a firmer stance, and thus we have a better community.

It makes us, as users, a very, very lucky bunch.

Stattick

Electronic Thing
Validated User
The thing is, you CAN'T ban discussion of politics and still have a viable rpg discussion site. I'm running a Vampire the Masquerade game, presently set in the late 1980's, in Los Angeles. It's impossible to run that game without a ton real world politics coming up at the table. AIDS, the crack epidemic, the War on Drugs, Reagan Administration politics, and so forth abound in the game. Hell, my PCs just helped set up the first (illegal) needle exchange program in the city, to help keep the blood supply clean, since it's possible for vampires to carry and spread AIDS in the setting. And I certainly can't discuss the game on this board without the possibility of those politics being discussed on the thread. Anyone calling for a moratorium on discussing politics here, hasn't thought it through.

Crimson Reaver

Vulcanising
Validated User
Another positive is that it makes it really easy to spot sites that I wouldn't want to frequent, depending on how they've reacted to this :D

Just wanted to add my support for the decision, appreciate how hard a decision that has to have been, but welcome to all the people who've been encouraged by this to join, the more the merrier!

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One of the fascinating things about forums, and one I prefer to newer social media models focused around clusters of individual posters instead of community discussions, is how much history you can dig up. This forum's culture a decade ago is...fascinating and terrifying.
I've sometimes wondered why I took so long to join this forum, and I think it's because in the (long) past when I dipped my toes in it looked, well, like many other gaming related sites I'd wandered through. Kind of guy-focused and carelessly cruel at times. It took hard work and a lot of good will effort to make RPGNet this welcoming, and even after I did join there were still occasional long-time members heading for the exit complaining that this place wasn't what it used to be.

Well, no, it isn't. On the other hand, it is a place that welcomes the vast number of women gamers that actually exist, thank you very much, and does not permit casual othering of people just because they fall outside of some people's ideas of what norms are for gamers.

As for politics, all matters of how people are to live are politics. In my experience the only people who complain about "bringing" politics into things are people whose own politics dominate who don't want to think about anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom