New BRP - Call of Cthulhu

Nick Dalton

Dream Weaver Plus Actor
Validated User
I wonder if the new version of the Basic Roleplaying Game will result in an update to Call of Cthulhu's system, either through a new rulebook or conversion documents. Has anyone heard if this is a possibility?

Azidhak

Norwegian Keeper of Secrets
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It will probably be updated in the 6.102 edition. :p

Nawara

Proud to be a
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Back in 5.561a, the one where they changed the AP commas to Oxford commas.

-Jeff
(I kid because I love.)

Piestrio

*May Contain Multitudes*
Validated User
I didn't think this book was an "update" so much as a compalation.

You can't "update" perfection version 5.9869.27a.46g.34.1 ;)

Piestrio

Doctor Jest

Retired User
What is the latest on BRP? The last I saw it was being sold as a monograph (yeech) on Chaosium's website. Are there new developments?

Xombie

Guilty of being awesome.
Doctor Jest said:
What is the latest on BRP? The last I saw it was being sold as a monograph (yeech) on Chaosium's website. Are there new developments?
Yeah I'm a bit out of the loop too, I've decided not to touch any more Chaosium stuff until I have Malleus in my hands. Why? I'm not sure but I haven't bought any new CoC stuff in a while.

Carl Stanford

Carnage Amongst the Web
Validated User
It is not an updated/new version of BRP but a compilation of all the rules from the different sourcebooks.

So, there is no need to give conversion rules.

Gallowglass

Validated User
Doctor Jest said:
A new single rulebook, title Basic Role Playing:Chaosium's d100 Role Playing System (or something similar) is in development/playtest at present (I'm in the playtest) - Jason Durall, the author, has had real life issues to deal with (job, moving etc) but is on the case revising the manuscript - which is basically a synthesis of the various BRP games over the years - if you know RuneQuest II, Elric!/Stormbringer 5 and Cthulhu 5+ you will find it very familiar, and many variants from those (and other BRP) games are mentioned as optional rules.

What is being sold via the Chaosium website as the BRP Monographs is the text of RQIII with all references to Glorantha and RUnequest removed.

Nick Warcholak said:
I wonder if the new version of the Basic Roleplaying Game will result in an update to Call of Cthulhu's system, either through a new rulebook or conversion documents. Has anyone heard if this is a possibility?
Unless the new BRP changes radically from the version we've been playtesting, no conversion will be necessary. Whether Chaosium will take ideas/content from it and use them in the next revision of the Call of Cthulhu core rulebook I don't know: but they recently announced they were reprinting the current (6th edition) book again, so I imagine any major revision is a while away as yet.

Cheers,

NDM

Doctor Jest

Retired User
That's very cool, Gallowglass! Without betraying any trust, is there anything you can tell us about the BRP book thus far? Is it supposed to be multi-genre or only fantasy? Do you think it will see the light of day? And not just as a monograph?

Top Bottom