• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

New Edition of Bushido

Scutarii

Validated User
So Bushido is this great little fantasy Japan/Asian skirmish game from GCT studios. Usually 3-6 models on a 24 inch by 24 inch board so it's pretty simple to get into.

Anyway. They've got a new edition coming along soon and I'd love for them to do well (by which I mean, I'd like some more opponents!). Has anyone else been following along with their development? I played a decent bit of the previous edition (New Dawn) but don't know all the ins and outs of the new edition.

The final development version of the rules are here (they did a public beta and seemed pretty responsive to suggestions): https://www.dropbox.com/s/9k6sr7q6fv3gsko/0 Bushido_ Risen Sun-5.pdf?dl=0

Spoiler: Show

durecellrabbit

Validated User
I've not really been following it as my main opponent left the club but I recently got to convince some of my historical gamer friends to try it. They enjoyed it and were open to playing again, provided I supply everything, as is custom for historical gamers. I'm currently painted up some Savage Wave models that I pulled out of the cupboard after playing.

I'll probably pick up the rulebook, new starters and replacement cards for the factions I own.

Scutarii

Validated User
I've not really been following it as my main opponent left the club but I recently got to convince some of my historical gamer friends to try it. They enjoyed it and were open to playing again, provided I supply everything, as is custom for historical gamers. I'm currently painted up some Savage Wave models that I pulled out of the cupboard after playing.

I'll probably pick up the rulebook, new starters and replacement cards for the factions I own.
Yeah my plan is to get the new book and card packs. I've got everything Temple so far but nothing from anyoen else. It's enough tosplit between...probably 4 players actually! So probably won't get a second faction but will get any new Temple models :)

Ian_the_Skinny

Validated User
The I’ve heard a bunch of good things about this game, but I’m not one for only using official miniatures (in fact, I just scored a bunch of Ninja All Stars miniatures, and need a rule set to use for them).

Has anyone put together a stat list for all the units in the game? Having to buy a bunch of card packs at $15 a pop, or hunt through the website for their pictures, is not very appealing...

durecellrabbit

Validated User
The I’ve heard a bunch of good things about this game, but I’m not one for only using official miniatures (in fact, I just scored a bunch of Ninja All Stars miniatures, and need a rule set to use for them).

Has anyone put together a stat list for all the units in the game? Having to buy a bunch of card packs at $15 a pop, or hunt through the website for their pictures, is not very appealing...
You can get the playtest version of the new cards here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lmppfo67key3xpa/AAD5UuvqiG3JudFfBu3D1Vota?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR2JdJavwKchA1TY5hwuzWRJInpbSsgh1_ehU10hTwKZ0_C8WoN1-ic616E

Otherwise AFAIK you need to go through the webstore. You could try other skirmish games like Ronin (More historical) or Daishō (More mystical) that are not tied to cards and have more generic profiles.

Crumbs

Validated User
Always wanted to play it but lack of players and snce I support a couple of other games it fell off the radar.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I've never heard of this game... time to look into it. Quick "sell me" while I'm looking into things?

durecellrabbit

Validated User
I've never heard of this game... time to look into it. Quick "sell me" while I'm looking into things?
It's a small scale skirmish game with fairly simple basic mechanics and looking at the beta rules for the new edition they've cleared up some of the confusing bits. The main form of conflict resolution is via opposing dice rolls, melee combat requires players to secretly divide their dice poll into attack and defence, adding a bluffing/guessing element to the game. The factions get a lot of their depth through unique characters with lots of special traits and skills. There are a lot of objective based scenarios, usually based around area control, objective control and leader assassination.

To me it's main selling points are the melee combat bluffing and it's fantasy Japanese setting, as objective based skirmish games with characters full of special traits and skills are pretty common these days.

Scutarii

Validated User
It's a character driven small skirmish game with alternating activations and opposed rolls for action resolution combined with resource managed special skills and activated powers.

What this adds up to is that both players are almost always making decisions and there's lots of interaction and involvement from you both during each models activation. I.e.: there's very little downtime where you're just doing nothing and you're actively involved in everything that happens to your (and your opponents!) models.

The setting is the Jwar Isles. A fantasy Japanese island chain somewhere off the coast where there are competing samurai clans as well as the monks of the Temples, 'Wako' pirates strangely merged with creatures of the seas, groups who have not assimilated to the wider Japanese culture and live in the mountains with their giant bird Kenku warriors and a criminal syndicate. Into this mix a sinister Cult of Yurei has begun to spread, promising magic and immortality to the downtrodden they wield a variety of evil magics from necromancy to monster summoning. At the same time the Savage Wave of Oni is returning in force, threatening the islands inhabitants.

From a logistical point of view the play space is very easy to set up, being a 24x24 inch table with only a handful of terrain bits needed (though having some scatter terrain to really add character looks great!) makes it easy to set up and tear down in a limited space. The number of models per side tends towards 3-6, some factions might make a swarmy horde build and get 10 or so models.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
My stuff has arrived, I picked up the Savage Wave starter. Spent this evening preparing the starter for painting tomorrow.

Going through the replacement cards I noticed Rice Farmer doesn't have Faith in monks anymore. This kinda messes up my limited Temple selection, I guess I'm going to have to get their starter so I have a better selection of monks.

Top Bottom