• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

New Formats for RPGs

U_C

Cultist of Sredni Vashtar
What new format would people like to see being used in the industry?

I would like to see games produced in the E-book format, simply for the ease of cross referencing with hyper links, especially setting information. I would still buy the books as I prefer to read a book however I would also be willing to buy source materials again for a useful electronic format.

For cross-referencing purposes, it'd be nice if each book came with a cd copy of the book. But then you'd have (more of) a pirating problem.

If only there were a way of keeping the book from being copied more than once... I know that .pdf files can have settings that disallow printing, that would be useful (since it comes with the book) but to keep it from being copied to another's hard drive without them borrowing the cd.

AndyGuest

As handy as e-books are you can't beat a good book. I'd like to see more game books in the size format used by Trinity/Aberrant/Adventure/Witchcraft/Swords OF The Middle Kingdom size.

The reduced size books are just so much nicer for reading.

Brand_Robins

Retired User
AndyGuest said:
I'd like to see more game books in the size format used by Trinity/Aberrant/Adventure/Witchcraft/Swords OF The Middle Kingdom size.
I'd also like to add that I liked the orriginal Trinity book's spiral binding for a game book. The thing lies flat, I don't have to worry about breaking the spine, and yet it still looks quite nice.

I really can't say enough about how useful it is to have a game book that lies flat and doesn't get all flippy with the pages.

Vic

Angry...so ANGRY!
I love the idea behind EXILE- non profit, built by the gaming community, and free on line, mutating every few months.

TORG had an interesting idea of having special adventures and the results of the adventures from players across the country manipulated the meta plot. I didn't say it was GREAT, I just said it was interesting...

S. John Ross

Husband • Cook • Writer
Validated User
I'd like to see more books in a format that didn't include so much crap on the pages, replacing it with good writing, clean graphic design, and the results of intensive playtesting where rules are concerned. Also, I'd like to see more quality indices added to the format :)

Other than that, they can be carved on stone tablets for all I care, if they're good. But that's a biiiig "if" :)

Balbinus

Repairer of Reputations
S John

What about gaming fiction, while we're culling crap can we at least cut out gaming fiction?

If I want to read stories, I'll buy a book...

S. John Ross

Husband • Cook • Writer
Validated User
<B>What about gaming fiction, while we're culling crap can we at least cut out gaming fiction? </B>

AMEN. That's definitely part of the crap that needs to be removed from the standard modern format :)

But I think we're officially hijacking the thread now; we should stop :)

Ashtalkitty

Canadian Gamer Chick
I really adore...

...the AFMBE book - slightly smaller, hardcover. Easier to lug around. Same for things like Adventure (though I end up having to put a protective plastic covering on them) and BESM's regular line (not their deluxe, world-specific books).

As much as I love my full-sized, hardcover, glossy color D&D books, they are a pain in the ass to move. Which is why we all play at my house. :D

Misguided

Head Miscreant
Re: S John

Balbinus said:
What about gaming fiction, while we're culling crap can we at least cut out gaming fiction?

If I want to read stories, I'll buy a book...
I like gaming fiction. I think that at times in can give you a better sense of how the designers see the world. However, I'd rather see short pieces of 2-3 pages than 20-30 page stories. There I'd agree with you. I think they can be good as literary snapshots.

Top Bottom