New ICONS Edition Announced

Celestial Lord

Validated User
Ad Infinitum Adventures and Green Ronin announced a new edition of ICONS today, ICONS: Assembled Edition.

In production now with great graphic designer Daniel Solis and the ever-steady artist Dan Houser (who has defined the look of Icons since the beginning), the Assembled Edition brings Icons up-to-date with all that has happened since its initial publication and gives Ad Infinitum a solid foundation to build upon. It includes updates from Great Power (while preserving that book's value as an expanded powers book) along with a lot of "core" material like pyramid tests (in all their glorious variations), supplemental rules from Villainomicon and Team-Up, and updated art and graphic design in the style of Great Power, all in a beautiful new hardcover book!

Icons, the Assembled Edition, is planned to release this Summer
I can't wait. I'll be pre-ordering two hard copies for sure. It sounds pretty backwards compatible, especially if you've been using Great Power.

Uncouth

Powered Armor Grunt
Validated User
The release mentions rules additions from supplements but "preserving the usefulness of Great Power as an expanded powers book". As someone who's recently thought about picking up ICONS, this is both cool news and a bit confusing. Are they trying to preserve the usefulness of all the supplements or just Great Power. So if I got the new edition which supplements would I still want? Great Power, probably, but the others? I'm getting the impression they wouldn't be near as useful anymore.

Celestial Lord

Validated User
I could be wrong, but the impression I got is that the new core book would make both the Villainomicon and Team-Up supplements redundant, while Great Power would still be useful.

urbwar

Hallowicked
Validated User
I could be wrong, but the impression I got is that the new core book would make both the Villainomicon and Team-Up supplements redundant, while Great Power would still be useful.
I hope it doesn't make Team Up redundant. That might upset people who are still waiting for it.

Celestial Lord

Validated User
I hope it doesn't make Team Up redundant. That might upset people who are still waiting for it.
Eh. As someone who paid for a physical copy of Team Up a long time ago, I'm over it. At least I have the PDF. I'll just chalk the physical book as a loss. Best to move on now, IMO. Of course, YMMV.

Thanks for posting this. I had been wondering what was up with ICONS. I hope this edition will hit PDF as well as print? It's an all around fun little game I don't get to play enough of.

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User
I feel the "usefulness" of the Great Power book may keep things like power limitations and expanded gadget rules in that book, while probably all the powers will see a transfer over to the new edition

urbwar

Hallowicked
Validated User
Thanks for posting this. I had been wondering what was up with ICONS. I hope this edition will hit PDF as well as print? It's an all around fun little game I don't get to play enough of.
It's being released by Green Ronin, so I don't see why there wouldn't be a pdf version.

Steve Kenson

Validated User
The release mentions rules additions from supplements but "preserving the usefulness of Great Power as an expanded powers book".
Correct. The powers section of Icons will have brief write-ups of powers, but not as expansive as Great Power, or with as extensive or detailed a list of extras or limits.

The usefulness of Villainomicon as a collection of villains remains about the same, but the supplemental rules get folded into the assembled book. Likewise, some stuff from Team-Up gets folded into the core, but not all of it. Those are pretty much the only other sourcebooks to consider, and Villainomicon will be probably be going out of print and replaced, while Team-Up is not an official Ad Infinitum book, but published by a third-party (Adamant Entertainment).

--- Post Updated ---

I hope this edition will hit PDF as well as print?
That's the plan!

Top Bottom