• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

New to RPGnet

Wonderwill

Validated User
Hey,

I have been doing various PbP role playing for almost two decades. I just joined this site, and am looking for a few opportunities.

First, I am hopeful to have more opportunities to play D&D 4e. I know it is not played as much, but I miss it and never was able to play my desired fill of the system, having played other games and editions when it was the biggest game.

Second, I am looking to learn some new gaming rule sets. I am very familiar with D&D and Star Wars based games, but am hopeful to learn a few more fantasy or sci-fi settings. I have played just a little World of Darkness and Call of Cthulhu, and would like to play some more WoD type games. Also some super hero and anime (less like these). Are there games in Witcher, Dragon Age, or Elder Scrolls universes?

Third, as a GM I feel like my biggest weakness is maps and graphics to show what is going on in the online environment. My words are not enough for many people. Where is the best place to start in trying to get better at this?

Thanks for the advise. Also, how do you best keep track of characters and games on the site?

Knaight

Validated User
You're in the right place. This is one of the major hives of 4e activity. As for other games, Dragon Age has a pretty good one and Witcher has one that definitely exists, both of which are official products from significant companies. The rest I can't speak to.

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Welcome to the forums!
You’ll have be able to ask & talk about all kinds of rules in the Tabletop Roleplaying Open forum, and you’ll find many different games in the RPGnet Roleplaying Game forums. Keeping track of games on the site is usually done with Watched threads.

g33k

Validated User
Hello, and welcome!

There's a new RPG for Witcher, yes; I haven't seen it, but it seems to be getting a fair bit of praise.

For Elder Scrolls, you might want to consider Runequest -- there's a great new edition from Chaosium; and (back in the day) Runequest was one of the primary influences on the ES/Skyrim line. Also (since you mention Call of Cthulhu), it's worth noting that the rules are closely related, so you'll benefit from some familiarity and also get to enjoy seeing the same framework expanded in a very-different direction.

And take a look at the "Fate" gaming engine; it's rather a darling of RPG.net these days, and different versions of the game are running some VERY different genre's/settings (some with notable variations on the core "Fate" rules, others pretty straight-up by-the-book "Fate").

And for another take on the D&D rules, have a look at 13thAge -- it's made by the D&D3.0 and D&D4.0 lead designers, who collaborated to make THEIR version, free from WotC editorial control.

As noted above, the "Tabletop Roleplaying Open" subforum here is a great venue for talking about many many games!

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hey,

I have been doing various PbP role playing for almost two decades. I just joined this site, and am looking for a few opportunities.

First, I am hopeful to have more opportunities to play D&D 4e. I know it is not played as much, but I miss it and never was able to play my desired fill of the system, having played other games and editions when it was the biggest game.

Second, I am looking to learn some new gaming rule sets. I am very familiar with D&D and Star Wars based games, but am hopeful to learn a few more fantasy or sci-fi settings. I have played just a little World of Darkness and Call of Cthulhu, and would like to play some more WoD type games. Also some super hero and anime (less like these). Are there games in Witcher, Dragon Age, or Elder Scrolls universes?

Third, as a GM I feel like my biggest weakness is maps and graphics to show what is going on in the online environment. My words are not enough for many people. Where is the best place to start in trying to get better at this?

Thanks for the advise. Also, how do you best keep track of characters and games on the site?
Are you looking to stay with PbP games or start doing things using Virtual Tabletop (VTT) software such as Roll20? VTT software can let you use maps and graphics to show players what things look like, give them handouts such as letters or notes, and it also rolls dice and supports chat.

There are 'actual play' threads to read about specific games. The Witcher and Dragon Age have specific RPGs made for them, so there may be threads on them in both the Tabletop RPG General and in the 'actual play' threads.

This site isn't really set up for tracking characters and games, but I never enjoyed PbP so I am not aware of all the functionalities the site has since the upgrade last year. You at least have a dieroller. . .

As for D&D 4e, there are fans here. You can post and read posts in the D&D subforum. If it's just about D&D 4e, please make that your thread title in posts so everyone knows that's the version of the most famous RPG you are using the rules for.

Welcome to the forums.

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Roleplay-By-Post Meta Forum for recruitment.
D20 Spotlight for discussions.
The Tavern for recruitment for games elsewhere, face to face or Roll20, etc.,

g33k

Validated User
The "d20 spotlight" and "tabletop roleplaying open" are both for general discussions ABOUT their respective topics, ABOUT gaming-in-general.

If you are looking to organize a specific game, or join one someone else is organizing, you want some of the other forums: one of the "Roleplay-by-Post" (and thence moving into "Actual Play").

Top Bottom