• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

New to the Site, Appealing to the Great Think Tank

Ducky4u2

Validated User
Hello!

So as the title suggests, I am new to RPGnet forums and I am still finding my way around. I did not see a post thread link in the particular forums I was looking for, so I am posting here and hoping for the best. Any advice would be welcome, thank you!

I guess a start would be I have been gaming for 20+ years at this point, primarily D&D, but have at least played in several others. However, I have always run pregen campaigns. The players like it, but they also want to see me try my hand at creating worlds. They believe in my creativity more than me, those wonderful ones. Needless to say, I am nervous, but I love my players and I am willing to try and get this old dog to learn some new tricks. I was playing around with a couple of different systems, but I want to learn navigation of the site. What I am hoping to find here, if possible, is:

• Advice for systems I have played but never ran (Mainly because I have four ideas I am trying to choose from)
  • Advice for ideas (I am pretty good at coming up with ideas, terrible at focusing or narrowing them, I get lost in the options, which is why I always ran pregen) to help me get going.
  • Advice for GMing (I can keep a good story, and taking the source material and bending it to my players is no issue, but being clever with mechanics is a problem, so making memorable encounters).
I am humbled to be here with so many of you wonderfully creative people, and I hope to get to know many of you. Also, I know ultimately it is up to me, and by no means am I trying to harvest other peoples ideas, but I know I can adapt my thought process, so a dialogue about the art of creating games would be useful.

Finally, I know there must be an incalculable amount of posts like this, so again I want to say thank you for anyone who decides to help.

Ducky4u2

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You can get advice for all 3 in the Tabletop Roleplaying Open forum.

g33k

Validated User
Hello, and welcome!
I will look for your post in TRO, but advise 2 things generally...
* whenever a GM is feeling a lack of confidence, and has a choice of mechanics: go with the mechanics you know best. Eliminate that as an issue, make THAT part of things something where you CAN feel confident!
* Go with what inspires/excites you, gives you the most passion and joy. Carry that into your games, because those are the best games!

Ducky4u2

Validated User
Hello, and welcome!
I will look for your post in TRO, but advise 2 things generally...
* whenever a GM is feeling a lack of confidence, and has a choice of mechanics: go with the mechanics you know best. Eliminate that as an issue, make THAT part of things something where you CAN feel confident!
* Go with what inspires/excites you, gives you the most passion and joy. Carry that into your games, because those are the best games!
Hey, thanks! Happy to be here!

I get what you are saying. The ideas I have are four I have talked about often with the group. They love my ideas, but as someone who has never really strayed from his lane when it came to creating games, I thought it would be better for me to reach out. I am definitely the most familiar with D&D, so in all honesty that will be my first attempt in terms of actually doing it, but putting others in the backdrop gives my mind something to work on, and I love developing stories so at least it will also help me practice and hone my abilities.

I have had a ton of ideas, but these have always been the four I have come back to, and where the majority of my passion lies.

Thank you again for the warm welcome, you are awesome.

Top Bottom