• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Kylleran

Retired User
Technophobia, or at least a variant of primitivism, is present in the game. You've got a lot of people who look at the state of the solar system and come to the conclusion that it's the fault of technology in general and the more exotic tranhumans and infolife in particular.

So you have a few different flavors of antitech crusaders, there's the people that are huddling together in a run down hab bitterly lamenting the way things used to be and the state of things now and trying to remain as low tech as possible and hating the fact that they're basically cocooned in high tech life support and such.

And then there's the more proactive strain that sees specific agencies like AIs and boundary pushing H+ factions as the problem and who are working to thwart or eliminate (depending on how zealous) these groups.

And this can play out as both a potential PC group dynamic or in interactions with npcs.

Also thanks to everyone who's chimed in on this discussion so far we've enjoyed reading the comments and the overall discussion about transhuman rpgs and EP in specific.

Axiomatic

I mix a coat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Technophobia, or at least a variant of primitivism, is present in the game. You've got a lot of people who look at the state of the solar system and come to the conclusion that it's the fault of technology in general and the more exotic tranhumans and infolife in particular.

So you have a few different flavors of antitech crusaders, there's the people that are huddling together in a run down hab bitterly lamenting the way things used to be and the state of things now and trying to remain as low tech as possible and hating the fact that they're basically cocooned in high tech life support and such.

And then there's the more proactive strain that sees specific agencies like AIs and boundary pushing H+ factions as the problem and who are working to thwart or eliminate (depending on how zealous) these groups.

And this can play out as both a potential PC group dynamic or in interactions with npcs.

Also thanks to everyone who's chimed in on this discussion so far we've enjoyed reading the comments and the overall discussion about transhuman rpgs and EP in specific.
I don't mean if people in the game are technophobic, I mean how much technophobia is considered to be correct.

Iozz-Sothoth

Cruel Angel's Viva Voce
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hey, as the author of The Artisan's Handbook, I call BS on that remark...
Especially as it's the Traditions in Sorcerer's Crusade are the 'bad guys' (they represent the status quo), insofar as that's true of any playable mage faction...

Poster #15672

Fuzzy Wuzzy Wuv MACHINE!
I don't mean if people in the game are technophobic, I mean how much technophobia is considered to be correct.
I'd be more interested in how much the text of the game presents it as being correct.
I, for one, would like some clarification about what you are asking. Are you asking if the game presents technology as a generally corrosive thing to "the human spirit"? I'd find that an odd attitude for a transhuman-focused game.

Axiomatic

I mix a coat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I, for one, would like some clarification about what you are asking. Are you asking if the game presents technology as a generally corrosive thing to "the human spirit"? I'd find that an odd attitude for a transhuman-focused game.
Not necessarily corrosive to the human spirit, but a general attitude of "wasn't it better in the good old days when men were men and we didn't have all this high-flung technology" that seems to accompany "AIs will kill us all" type settings.

robboyle

One of the themes we've tried to inject is that technology can be both dangerous and liberatory. So while on one hand tech can be destructive when mismanaged, as well as used for oppressive purposes, it can also be used to undermine power, solve problems, and benefit the (trans)human condition.

In terms of game mechanics, there's no cyberpunkesque drawback to having implants, though there are some temporary negative effects to resleeving. There is also a strong techno-anarchist and techno-progressive current in the game.

Poster #15672

Fuzzy Wuzzy Wuv MACHINE!
One of the themes we've tried to inject is that technology can be both dangerous and liberatory. So while on one hand tech can be destructive when mismanaged, as well as used for oppressive purposes, it can also be used to undermine power, solve problems, and benefit the (trans)human condition.

In terms of game mechanics, there's no cyberpunkesque drawback to having implants, though there are some temporary negative effects to resleeving. There is also a strong techno-anarchist and techno-progressive current in the game.
YAY! And about friggin' time, too! :D

jsnead

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
I'm gonna chime in with my pet issue - how technophobic is the game?
Not one whit. It's a very strange and (in some places) very dangerous universe (very much along the lines of some of the ideas in Alastair Reynolds' books), and in EP, tech is what keeps you from a variety of dire fates. The few unmodified humans in old-style bodies are merely low tech unfortunates and not special in any way. OTOH, this doesn't mean that there aren't technophobes in the setting - there most certainly are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom