• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

GregH

I wear no mask...
There's an emphasis on backing up your mind and downloading into new bodies of different types (biological, synthetic, or mixed), allowing for character "save points" as well as optimizing your character's abilities for specific missions.

I'm presuming that the more adventerous also back themselves up before seeing what's behind the next Pandora Gate or prior to dealing with some of the more interesting things out and about. I'll be interested in seeing how you guys deal with this in the game. It sounds like there is a great oppurtunity to fit in one-shot adventures as well as campaigns, to say nothing of those die-hards that live to see severeal variants of themselves evolve into different individual:eek:

You mentioned that there is no element capping how much you can implant in your body (whichever you have at the current time), but is there any game mechanic that limits the number of times that you can copy your mind... or can you create your own personal "Army of One" so to speak?

And given the technology, is it possible to edit or have someone take your memories... which given the possibly long lifespans involved can make for some interesting scenarios ("Chasm City" anyone?)

robboyle

On a totally different topic, what year does the game take place in? Just curious.
Approximately 100-150 years in the future. We're actually leaving hard dates out, instead dating everything in reference to the Fall of the Earth. This allows us to avoid quibbles over projected future tech and space development timelines. :)

Also is Mars the new Earth for all intents and purposes? It sounds like good ol' Terra is toast
Mars now has the largest population of transhumans, yes.

is there any game mechanic that limits the number of times that you can copy your mind... or can you create your own personal "Army of One" so to speak?
Forking your mind is possible and useful, though there are some drawbacks and in some areas it is frowned upon or illegal.

And given the technology, is it possible to edit or have someone take your memories...
Yep, the game does have mind-editing and psychosurgery options, but they are difficult and dangerous.

thompsja

Validated User
Is there any planned release date for this game? It looks very interesting.

It seems that you are still actively writing it, which means you have to re-write, edit, playtest, and publish the game still. I don't expect it in a few weeks, but I would like to know if I can have it this year or not.

GregH

I wear no mask...
Is there any planned release date for this game? It looks very interesting.

It seems that you are still actively writing it, which means you have to re-write, edit, playtest, and publish the game still. I don't expect it in a few weeks, but I would like to know if I can have it this year or not.
Bumped as I would like to know the answer to this as well. Though I think I recall mention that this year was the release date but don't take my word for it.

On that note, will we be seeing Paparazzi out this year as well?

Last edited:

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's not at all what I'm suggesting. Amongst themselves, thinking machines might have a sense of morality that's similar to our own. My point is that AI may give no more thought to the morality of killing humans as we do to getting inoculated for this winter's flu strain.

What I actually wrote was that intelligent machine life might see all biological life, not just humans, as a threat. Mold and fungus growing on delicate circuitry is just as much a danger to machines as a human with an itchy on/off switch -- maybe more so.

EDIT: I see that zenten summed this up very neatly already.
With the massive cravat that you can talk to a human or AI but not a fungus. The reason morality can be applied to other humans isn't because they have cells instead of circuits, but because they have minds and can communicate too, which applies to AIs just as much, and likewise from AIs to human.

I hop biocentrism or mechacentrism doesn't play a big role in the disaster that happened. I can see some of it developing as a result, but it shouldn't be an inherent thing.

DagobahDave

David Graffam
Validated User
With the massive cravat that you can talk to a human or AI but not a fungus. The reason morality can be applied to other humans isn't because they have cells instead of circuits, but because they have minds and can communicate too, which applies to AIs just as much, and likewise from AIs to human.
By definition, AI will think for itself. We don't know if AI will consider humans to be any different from fungus or gods. That's the real trick with AI: as soon as it starts thinking for itself and doing something we didn't explicitly program into it, we're probably going to assert our godhood and pull the plug if AI hasn't already figured out how to stop us from doing that.

I kind of choked there. A bit stiff-necked of me, perhaps, but it ties in to some problems I have with this.
Have a snow cone. My treat. :)

Last edited:

Pelorus

Gamer. Writer. Dad.
Validated User
we're projecting our intention to slaughter other intelligent life forms onto the AI here.

Is the AI just sapient and sentient or does it have emotional intelligence too? Can it 'fear' (did we teach it)

If it fears, it must have reason.

GregH

I wear no mask...
Can you play one of these "Resleeved AI's"?

It would be interesting to see if the AI's have a whole different story of how the Fall occured and the factors behind it, if there are AI's that resent being "Left Behind" by the TITANS, or ones that feel a sort of guilt over how their fleshy creators were treated... hey humans disagree why not them?

Top Bottom