Next-Gen Graphic APIs: DX12, Vulkan, and Metal

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Re: DX12 formally announced!

Well, Steam, Android, iOS... more and more games are coming out I'm not sure how good curation will be overall. That's why I like the Steam Curators... find some niche ones and go with them.

Jeep-Eep

*sideye intensifies*
Validated User

Well, Steam, Android, iOS... more and more games are coming out I'm not sure how good curation will be overall. That's why I like the Steam Curators... find some niche ones and go with them.
It ain't good enough, not by half - it's an actual threat to steam, you know, as with all the alt-right meme games showing up, sooner or later there's gonna be a PR blowup for them, and direct will be nuked for the good of the company.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User

Yeah. And hopefully a step to Valves talked about custom store front ends for people.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User

It ain't good enough, not by half - it's an actual threat to steam, you know, as with all the alt-right meme games showing up, sooner or later there's gonna be a PR blowup for them, and direct will be nuked for the good of the company.
Nothing right now is a threat to Steam. 2017 was their best year ever, and their numbers continue to grow year after year.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User

I'm not entirely sure how much the overall base of customers cares.

Nothing right now is a threat to Steam. 2017 was their best year ever, and their numbers continue to grow year after year.
Viable alternatives don't have to be threats. Steam is the outlier, much like World of Warcraft was for the MMO market. Chasing after them is futile - just get somewhere happy and grow. If anything? I'd love for Amazon to make their software sales as neat and tidy as any of the other services out there. It'd be a good mainstream option if it was done as well as their music, IMO.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User

Viable alternatives don't have to be threats. Steam is the outlier, much like World of Warcraft was for the MMO market. Chasing after them is futile - just get somewhere happy and grow. If anything? I'd love for Amazon to make their software sales as neat and tidy as any of the other services out there. It'd be a good mainstream option if it was done as well as their music, IMO.
As far as the regular gamer goes, I don't think any other platform is a viable alternative:

- Games will always release on Steam, unless they are exclusives (Microsoft, EA).
- Games will always be updated on Steam. There have been several cases of games in GoG that have stopped receiving patches while the Steam version does get updated.
- No platform has the depth of multiplayer features Steam has. Playing a multiplayer game in a different client is accepting having a sub-par experience.

Unless you deeply care for DRM (which I'm not sure the average gamer cares), or you want the type of games GoG originated from (games that don't run in modern computers without some extra work), why wouldn't a gamer user Steam?

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User

When a nazi game gets legs in the mainstream media... oh, they will.
Depends on what else is going on at the time. Ice T noted with some bewilderment that his "Cop Killer" album controversy eclipse a historic arms treaty during the 90's.

I'm a little jaded. But, hey, if you think that's the best case? We can start making noise *now* rather than wait. Steam is so damn big I don't find things I'm not looking for, so I never actually went looking.

Top Bottom