• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative Nifty MTG Loops!

Vael

Validated User
At least with Roon and Aminatou there's some inherent limits, and Aminatou has more than just blink as a viable build path. My Aminatou deck just uses the blinking for occasional value (i.e., pairing with Dreams of the Dead to get around the drawback of Dreams of the Dead) and focuses on library manipulation.
Dreams of the Dead? That's nifty tech. My Aminatou does have an infinite loop, with Felidar Guardian + Oath of Teferi, I can infinitely flicker a permanent of mine to win. Current payloads are currently Kaya, Ghost Assassin's -1 to drain the table, Gray Merchant to do the same, Gonti to exile all libraries ...

I also have Demonic Pact in the deck, and I have killed someone with it, and it was awesome.

Last edited:

Radio Free Ruritania

WWSWLiHND?
Validated User
For the whole summer that it was legal in standard I played Ajani's Chosen (whenever an enchantment ETBs get a 2/2 cat) and Oath of the Ancient Wood (whenever an enchantment ETBs get a +1/+1 counter) along with playsets of O-ring and Detention sphere. Only once did I manage to go O-ring exiles detention sphere (get a cat, get a +1/+1 counter) O-ring2 exiles O-ring1 (get a cat, get a +1/+1 counter) D-sphere returns and exiles O-ring2 (get a cat, get a +1/+1 counter) ... to get an infinite number of infinitely big cats.

EsperDerek

Fluffy Boy
Validated User
Currently in Commander I have a Gitrog deck, and it's got an infinite Mana loop involving Drakmor Salvage and Skirge Familiar.

1. Have Skirge Familiar and Gitrog out and Drakmor in hand.
2. Discard Drakmor to Skirge Familiar's ability to generate one black mana.
3. Gitrog's draw ability triggers. Replace with Drakmor's dredge to bring it back to your hand.
4. Repeat forever.

You gotta be sure you have either Gaia's Blessing or one of the old Titans so you can reshuffle your graveyard and not mill to death.

This generates you infinite black Mana to be used in your favorite killing X spell. This combo is especially resilient because it's a Mana ability, so even using an instant kill spell on Gitrog or Familiar will not stop it.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is a rather silly one a player deployed against us once. It's not technically an infinite loop, but it's close.

Step 1: Play Mephidross Vampire (Each creature you control is a Vampire in addition to its other creature types and has "Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.")

Step 2: Play Triskelion - (Triskelion enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it. Remove a +1/+1 counter from Triskelion: It deals 1 damage to any target.)

Step 3: Triskelion kills every creature your opponents control as a series of 1-damage pings.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
This is a rather silly one a player deployed against us once. It's not technically an infinite loop, but it's close.

Step 1: Play Mephidross Vampire (Each creature you control is a Vampire in addition to its other creature types and has "Whenever this creature deals damage to a creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.")

Step 2: Play Triskelion - (Triskelion enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it. Remove a +1/+1 counter from Triskelion: It deals 1 damage to any target.)

Step 3: Triskelion kills every creature your opponents control as a series of 1-damage pings.
Although if you add Stuffy Doll, it becomes an unbounded loop, as Stuffy Doll is both indestructible, and deals damage for each damage it takes so this also turns it into a kill method.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Although if you add Stuffy Doll, it becomes an unbounded loop, as Stuffy Doll is both indestructible, and deals damage for each damage it takes so this also turns it into a kill method.
Ooh, true. Stuffy Doll had not quite come into existence yet when that deck was being played, but it was around within two years of the Mephidross and they might even have shared legality together.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
*edit* Although you have reminded me of another infinite loop you can use to force a draw if things are going badly.

1. Stuffy Doll, target yourself. If Stuffy Doll takes damage, it deals that damage to you.

2. Pariah, on Stuffy Doll. All damage that would be dealt to you is dealt to the stuffy doll.

3. Stuffy Doll hits itself for 1. Game ends.

Vargen

Validated User
This isn't a loop, but it's pretty close in a big commander game. Altar of the Brood causes each opponent to mill 1 whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control. Undead Alchemist gives you a Zombie token whenever an opponent mills a creature. Everybody hates it because it's probably going to win the game, but it isn't deterministic so you have to flip cards one at a time and see if nobody mills a creature. And even that might not quite break the chain because if multiple players hit creatures at the same time that stacks up extra Altar triggers.

Then I add in Altar of Dementia so's I can sack a zombie token for another shot at milling...

Endless Rain

Validated User
This is a difficult to pull off combo that I've only gotten to work two or three times, but if you have Glissa the Traitor out, can reliably get ten mana per turn, have Mindslaver in your hand or on the field, and have an opponent who doesn't run a creatureless deck, you can control that player for every single one of their turns. The way it works is:

1: Get Glissa (BGG) and a permanent way to generate ten mana on the field.
2: Play Mindslaver for (6) and sacrifice it for (4) to take control of your opponent during their next turn.
3: Make your opponent attack with a creature* Glissa can kill, then block with Glissa and use her ability to bring Mindslaver back to your hand when she kills the creature.
4: Use your opponent's cards to damage them as much as possible.
5: Tap or otherwise use up all your opponent's mana so they can't cast instants against you on your next turn.
6: Repeat until you kill your opponent on their own turn with their own cards.

This combo isn't the reason I run either of these cards, but it is very fun if I do pull it off.

*Glissa is a First Strike and Deathtouch creature, meaning she wins against anything that isn't indestructible and doesn't also have First Strike.

Top Bottom