• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative Nifty MTG Loops!

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
I had a "neverending increasing life" deck once, but it relied on some very old (and powerful) cards.

Roughly, it went like this.

1) Play Library of Leng (no hand limit) and Ivory Tower (Gain 1 life for each card beyond 4)
2) Cast Braingeyser (2B + X, draw X cards)
3) Obtain about 20 life a round, with enough counterspells to stop any attempt to break this effect.
4) If you run out of cards, play TimeTwister (Shuffle your Library, Graveyard and Hand together into a new Library, draw 7 new cards, then discard TimeTwister)
5) Use Relearn (take a Sorcery card from you graveyard to your hand) to take TimeTwister into your hand again.

Done right, the deck will a) never run out of cards unless you manage to exile TimeTwister or Relearn and b) give you so much life they needed to force them to lose in some other way. I only played it as an example deck, and I used 3 ten sided dice to represent life. I think I got to 200+ life once

Technically not a loop of cards, but a deck that never runs out of cards and gets you life (and in some cases a lot of life) every round
It's still possible to do it, but more importantly you can do more than just durdle. There's been a number of "win if your life is X" cards out there, and a current standard deck, while not lifegain focused, has a very similar gameplay.

LizardBite

Validated User
I just made an Orzhov deck in Magic Arena that turned out to be way more effective than I thought it would, and I played three random matches to get a feel for it. I dominated two of them, and was dominating the other until my opponent managed to pull of an infinite loop combo, leaving me helpless and begging for death.

Here is the combo that decimated me:

Helm of the Host equipped to Timestream Navigator, with multiple copies of Forerunner of the Coalition on the field.

So every turn, Helm of the Host clones Timestream Navigator. This counts as a pirate entering the field, so each Forerunner deals one damage to your opponent (my opponent managed to get all four Forerunners out, so I was taking 4 damage). Then you activate the cloned Navigator's ability to send it to the bottom of your library (or I guess sacrifice it, since the clone is a token) to get that extra turn. The next turn starts, and the whole process repeats again.

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
I just made an Orzhov deck in Magic Arena that turned out to be way more effective than I thought it would, and I played three random matches to get a feel for it. I dominated two of them, and was dominating the other until my opponent managed to pull of an infinite loop combo, leaving me helpless and begging for death.

Here is the combo that decimated me:

Helm of the Host equipped to Timestream Navigator, with multiple copies of Forerunner of the Coalition on the field.

So every turn, Helm of the Host clones Timestream Navigator. This counts as a pirate entering the field, so each Forerunner deals one damage to your opponent (my opponent managed to get all four Forerunners out, so I was taking 4 damage). Then you activate the cloned Navigator's ability to send it to the bottom of your library (or I guess sacrifice it, since the clone is a token) to get that extra turn. The next turn starts, and the whole process repeats again.
I like that combo, it's a cute one. I think the soonest you can pull of the combo in standard is turn 6 and that assumes your opening hand+first draws include 5 lands, forerunner, and helm of the host)

LizardBite

Validated User
I like that combo, it's a cute one. I think the soonest you can pull of the combo in standard is turn 6 and that assumes your opening hand+first draws include 5 lands, forerunner, and helm of the host)
They used a lot of mana-generating artifacts and cards that let him search his deck for specific cards to get to that point, so I assume the whole deck was built around pulling off that specific combo.

My standard play for the Orzhov deck is to get a lot of creatures with Afterlife or similar abilities out on the field, then use Kaya's Wrath to wipe the board and then attack with all my new tokens on the next turn. I had Kaya's Wrath in my hand. I was going to play it on my next turn. And then they hit me with that infinite loop. My jaw dropped 😂

Vargen

Validated User
I can't take credit for this, and it's not a loop, but it does amuse me:

Attack for 1. Opponent goes to 19 and this becomes a 2/2.
Next turn

Hit opponent for 6, bringing them to 13 and making Butcher a 7/7.
Second main phase

Sacrifice Butcher, point both Thud and the Butcher's trigger at opponent's face for 7 damage each. Opponent's life is now at -1.

Note that you can pull this off on turns 2 and 3 and still have time on turn 1 for a Duress to make sure the way is clear.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was toying around with building an El Drazi deck awhile back and noticed there's a nearly impossible combination of

Emrakul: The Aeons Torn
+
Eye of Ugin
+
Altar of Dementia

That offers you infinite turns and your opponent infinite card loss. The trouble is that you need access to 22 mana per turn, which is doable, but definitely not easy.

The basic combination is

1) play Emrakul - get another turn
2) Do whatever you normally would on your turn, reserving 7 mana of any color for future use
3) Sacrifice Emrakul on the Altar - force opponent to throw 15 cards from his deck into his graveyard
4) When Emrakul is about to go into the graveyard, shuffle it and your discard pile back into your deck
5) Use Eye of Ugin to Tutor Emrakul back into your hand
6) Start your next turn
7) Go To #1

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
*EDIT* Ignore my previous message. I messed up how Emrakul works.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I can't take credit for this, and it's not a loop, but it does amuse me:

Attack for 1. Opponent goes to 19 and this becomes a 2/2.
Next turn

Hit opponent for 6, bringing them to 13 and making Butcher a 7/7.
Second main phase

Sacrifice Butcher, point both Thud and the Butcher's trigger at opponent's face for 7 damage each. Opponent's life is now at -1.

Note that you can pull this off on turns 2 and 3 and still have time on turn 1 for a Duress to make sure the way is clear.
I';m might not up no my M:tG lingo, and might looking at it from a Heroclix PoV but:

Butcher say puta +1/+1 token on it when it deal damage, not put a +`/+1 token for each damage it dealt.
Seems tome (adn agin i might wrong) that it "if" scenrio" where Butcher recives one token each time it deals damage regardless of amount of damage it dealt.

Vargen

Validated User
Titanic Growth wears off at the end of turn, not at the end of the combat step. You sacrifice Butcher to Thud after it hits the opponent but before it shrinks back down to its base stats + the counters.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I';m might not up no my M:tG lingo, and might looking at it from a Heroclix PoV but:

Butcher say puta +1/+1 token on it when it deal damage, not put a +`/+1 token for each damage it dealt.
Seems tome (adn agin i might wrong) that it "if" scenrio" where Butcher recives one token each time it deals damage regardless of amount of damage it dealt.
I got a little turned around by the wording as well, but think about it this way.

The Butcher gains 1 +1/+1 token at the end of combat on turn 1 to become 2/2.
Cast Titanic Growth on Turn 2 becoming 6/6
Attack on Turn 2, then gain another +1/+1 token becoming 7/7.
Sacrifice the Butcher to Thud dealing 7 points from Thud and 7 points from the Butcher's trigger effect.

Top Bottom