• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon (W:tF)

Second Chances

Validated User
The new Werewolf Night Horrors book is finally out! I've only made it to the Bale Wolves section so far, but this thing is wonderful. Especially because while everything is clearly a Werewolf antagonist, I can see lots of little spaces where they can be used in other games.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
I am hyperlexic, and already did a skim through.

It is indeed fucking awesome. Also includes an appendix on how to run hunting scenes and stories.

And we also get the Geryo, which are...even better than I thought!

(Essentially, the Geryo were Father Wolf's first attempt at children, but while he became a better person, they didn't, and they got power-mad, eventually getting sealed away by him after they rampaged one too many times. They're essentially multi-headed mythical monsters like the Hydra or Cerberus with very much functional brains who can be bound as servants, but they hate it and will eventually consume the souls of their masters. More importantly, they infect shapeshifters around them with their toxic spite for their father and cause them to mutate into horrifying echoes of their kaiju forms as a disease, turning into body horrific monsters called Distorted who can't even shapeshift any more, but retain their intelligence and all three example Distorted are interesting characters. For bonus crossover points, a possible origin of theirs is that their mother was in fact the Dark Mother of Beast: The Primordial - and they hate the Begotten just as much, even growing offended by Kinship attempts towards them and being able to inflict Distortion on them as well.)

EDIT: Also, the example Azlu went from a random encounter to a suave, charming mastermind because she accidentally got really stoned one day and came down enlightened.

I love these writers.

Last edited:

The Gentleman Dawkins

Validated User
I am hyperlexic, and already did a skim through.

It is indeed fucking awesome. Also includes an appendix on how to run hunting scenes and stories.

And we also get the Geryo, which are...even better than I thought!

(Essentially, the Geryo were Father Wolf's first attempt at children, but while he became a better person, they didn't, and they got power-mad, eventually getting sealed away by him after they rampaged one too many times. They're essentially multi-headed mythical monsters like the Hydra or Cerberus with very much functional brains who can be bound as servants, but they hate it and will eventually consume the souls of their masters. More importantly, they infect shapeshifters around them with their toxic spite for their father and cause them to mutate into horrifying echoes of their kaiju forms as a disease, turning into body horrific monsters called Distorted who can't even shapeshift any more, but retain their intelligence and all three example Distorted are interesting characters. For bonus crossover points, a possible origin of theirs is that their mother was in fact the Dark Mother of Beast: The Primordial - and they hate the Begotten just as much, even growing offended by Kinship attempts towards them and being able to inflict Distortion on them as well.)

EDIT: Also, the example Azlu went from a random encounter to a suave, charming mastermind because she accidentally got really stoned one day and came down enlightened.

I love these writers.
This book had a hell of a talented team on it!

atavist5

Validated User
I thought the climate/regional/urban resonances and spirits tables were a real nice touch, but I've enjoyed all I've read so far. I think the only things I haven't dug into so far are the ghost wolves, geryo, and extraterrestrial void leviathans (I've been skipping around). Definitely gives me a lot of options for the Pure, I'm currently running a Pure heavy game and giving them something to twist expectations is now easy. The little nods to other games are fun, too, with TFV having been involved with what happened to Geyn-Ur and one of the idigam having connections to a surprising amount of locals where Contagion has broken out, as well as another having a cult that think they're Ammut. All nice stuff. I was fully expecting not to like the human groups but they were a pleasant surprise, especially the Church of the Wolf (though I don't know Latin at all, anyone want to translate their Merits?).

Surprisingly big, too, like 205 pages, which I think makes it on the larger end of Night Horrors books.

Last edited:

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
I was fully expecting not to like the human groups but they were a pleasant surprise, especially the Church of the Wolf (though I don't know Latin at all, anyone want to translate their Merits?).
A bunch of nonsense, I’m afraid, as usual. Because, as great and talented as the folks at Onyx Path are, they still refuse to consult actual Latin speakers before putting the language in their books. Instead the author just plugged phrases into Google Translate (I checked), which is incapable of handling a highly inflected language like Latin, despite having it as an option. I guess they figure nobody will ever notice because they think Latin isn’t a language anyone actually understands. Except that it is and we do, and I’ve been chafing at this sort of thing for about 25 years now.

Apocalypsis fidei sort of works, since Greek loanwords in Latin are not unusual, though revelatio is the Latin word. I think “revelation of faith” is what they were going for.

Invenire venandi doesn’t mean a goddamned thing, but it’s what comes up if you Google Translate “find the hunter.” Invenire venatorem would have worked, I suppose, but the published phrase is utterly nonsensical.

Manticae are handbags. No idea what that has to do with the Merit.

Ligulae are little items that the speaker thinks resemble tongues. Usually the tongues of shoes but also sometimes straps or little blades. See above.

Lupus venandi I guess could be understood as “wolf of hunting,” but no Latin speaker would ever actually say that. Nor, do I imagine, would any English speaker.

I’m sure the content of the book is great, but the “Latin” is garbage. Authors really need to stop trying to fake languages they don’t understand.

Last edited:

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
I’m sure the content of the book is great, but the “Latin” is garbage. Authors really need to stop trying to fake languages they don’t understand.
And others need to actually read the book and notice that the cult is explicitly called out for bad Latin. Can't really copy on a phone, but the Rumors section has a character point out their name is garbled. I actually really like the fact that they are bad at the language, it sells them as a bunch of well-meaning New Age morons, so this isn't really a valid criticism. The mangling is a feature here, not a bug.

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
And others need to actually read the book and notice that the cult is explicitly called out for bad Latin. Can't really copy on a phone, but the Rumors section has a character point out their name is garbled. I actually really like the fact that they are bad at the language, it sells them as a bunch of well-meaning New Age morons, so this isn't really a valid criticism. The mangling is a feature here, not a bug.
p. 133 said:
What are they calling themselves? Church of the Wolf, or some mangled Latin.
I took the name of their group to be a joke on “Lancea et Sanctum,” which is a notorious example of trying to justify some fake Latin in the same universe, so a bit of a lampshade. And yeah, Lupus et Fidelis is sketchy too (Wolf and Faithful? the Wolf and the Faithful Person?) but might be made to work the same way as the Lancea et Sanctum title and serve as a callback.

The Merits I didn’t interpret as jokes because 1) I guess I tend to regard Merits as out-of-character things unless told otherwise, 2) they’re not a joke on anything in particular that I can tell, and 3) I’m not really sure how bad Latin in a RPG book is funny when it’s already the norm.

But if I’m alone in this and being overly sensitive to it, I’ll shut up—at least until the next time.

atavist5

Validated User
That's a good point, I remember their founder, Diana, 'had no education in theology beyond poorly-remembered Sunday school.' And it goes on saying that she just found other things online, including their scriptures being 'fragments from internet translations.'

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
To get back to the positive, I really could have used this book when I was running Werewolf a couple of years back, and I can promise it’ll see a good bit of use when I get around to doing it again. This edition’s Night Horrors line has really stepped up the continent, being a good deal more than just a semi-random list of potential adversaries.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User

The Merits I didn’t interpret as jokes because 1) I guess I tend to regard Merits as out-of-character things unless told otherwise, 2) they’re not a joke on anything in particular that I can tell, and 3) I’m not really sure how bad Latin in a RPG book is funny when it’s already the norm.
Welp, there's where we disagree.

1) The Merits are more or less in-universe goals of a mystery cult; they're traits and abilities the Fidelus explicitly tries to train its members in, like the Masques of the Guardians.

2) The founder is explicitly, as noted, uneducated and prone to accepting things at face value.

3) If the only example you can thing of is later in-universe admitted to be bad Latin, I think the writers may be way ahead of you and are poking fun at themselves.

Top Bottom