• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon (W:tF)

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
Welp, there's where we disagree.

1) The Merits are more or less in-universe goals of a mystery cult; they're traits and abilities the Fidelus explicitly tries to train its members in, like the Masques of the Guardians.

2) The founder is explicitly, as noted, uneducated and prone to accepting things at face value.

3) If the only example you can thing of is later in-universe admitted to be bad Latin, I think the writers may be way ahead of you and are poking fun at themselves.
Maybe they are. But someone who doesn’t understand Latin isn’t going to find it funny because they won’t know it’s nonsensical, and someone who does understand Latin is probably just going to find it irksome to see nonsensical strings of words (yet again), so I’m just going to have to admit I don’t get it. But there could be a portion of the Venn diagram I’m overlooking. At least in my case, it’s also a personal issue (related to my profession) and something I’m so weary of that I’m just not capable of finding it funny at the best of times.

But I don’t mean to rain on the parade of those who find it hilarious. Nor do I want to make an excellent and useful book out to be bad because of it; I was just answering a question someone asked in a way that expressed my feelings on the matter.

Kite474

Validated User
How much info do we get on the Pure cultures? They seem like they would make awesome antagonist but from the core book there wasn’t much on them outside the basics.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Hmm, I wonder if I could set aside the assets to get more of Forsaken Second Edition.

… And actually read more of the core book that I've had for a few years now...

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Banned
Validated User
How much info do we get on the Pure cultures? They seem like they would make awesome antagonist but from the core book there wasn’t much on them outside the basics.
It's always seemed to me that the Pure could have been three separate antagonist groups: one that's too human (Ivory Claws), one that's too wolf (Predator Kings), and one that's too spirit (Fire Touched).

… And actually read more of the core book that I've had for a few years now...
When you do, look at the picture on page 126, and imagine the werewolf at the window doing the Muttley laugh.

More generally, this thread has been doing a good sell-job. I probably wouldn't have looked at it otherwise.

atavist5

Validated User
There's no big section dedicated to specific differences between regions. But between the overall description and mechanics (one quote that stood out to me was, 'When an Anshega hunts, she is an avatar of her god.') as well as how their differences from Forsaken have been overcome (a lot of people noted that, due to them lacking Moon Gifts, on a one-on-one level, they were outmatched by Forsaken) shows a lot.

I wholeheartedly embrace the Ivory Claws being more like the Ordo Dracul.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
There's no big section dedicated to specific differences between regions. But between the overall description and mechanics (one quote that stood out to me was, 'When an Anshega hunts, she is an avatar of her god.') as well as how their differences from Forsaken have been overcome (a lot of people noted that, due to them lacking Moon Gifts, on a one-on-one level, they were outmatched by Forsaken) shows a lot.

I wholeheartedly embrace the Ivory Claws being more like the Ordo Dracul.
Yeah, changing out about half the Nazism for murder-monk and SCIENCE! made them both a more likable and a lot more terrifying. I'm actually considering an Ivory Claw family psychologist now, who is completely sincere in her desire to mend broken families - and quite happily eating the parents she regards as irredeemable.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Can I just say, I love the new Hosts too?

We have the clever mastermind vice merchants in the Toad Hosts, the vampiric Deep One river gods in the Lampreys, the more crafty and somewhat tragically lonely side of the Locust Hosts, the sneaky building busters for hire in the Termites, and the lightning-eating dream cult of the Wasps. All of them are way more interesting than just Gauntlet-screwing body puppeteers.

atavist5

Validated User
Yeah I wasn't expecting to like the toad hosts much and wasn't quite sure what to think of the others (though we got a peek at the lamprey hosts development on the OPP forum) but I'm really pleased with them. Even the altered states azlu city planner is pretty interesting, lots of ways to tag that into games. The Wasp host was particularly nasty, I like that they keep their host-body alive so they can use their dreams.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Oh yeah, the the new Maeljin. The new Bale Hounds are awesome, because now they're the end state of Maeljin corruption and a player can deal with the horror of realizing they accepted demonic aide and now everyone thinks their tarnished brands mark them as an actual Hound, but the new five really tie into Urathra mythology. My favorite is Bhal'ma, the Lord of Exposure, Maeljin of those who would find and reveal the truth...on a selective, piecemeal basis that puts its hearers in danger for no real agency and the use of secrets as weapons of blackmail. All five of the new ones also despise a type of Renown due to their annoyance with it; Bhal'ma loathes Honor, because an Urathra that is Honorable has nothing to hide, nothing Exposure can use, and when the Honored wolf speaks and fingers the Hounds as untrustworthy, people listen.

atavist5

Validated User
Yeah I've really liked the Maeljin.

Did you notice the little hints of an oncoming apocalypse? Granny Stitch, an entity tied to and as old as humanity says there's a terrible threat approaching and that she must save as many as she can before it happens. Nimmursagu calls upon the other harriers of Rabid Wolf because of some thing so big he doesn't want to face it alone. Even Linggan Zhao speaks of 'devourers who will eat the world and end everything.' Then there's the fact that someone seems to have created Mimics, and fairly recently, and something whispers to those doing the devouring rite, corrupting the entire process. Maybe it's related to the eggs Zud'nalu is guarding.

Top Bottom