• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Nintendo] Needs Your IP; Create the Future

martikhoras

Banned
I tried in my old thread, let's try a fresh one

So Iwata has his secretary who is also like master IP negotiator and a wing of the marketing department dedicated to you and a handpicked studio of your choosing they can also be a hot asian female if you are of that persuasion, but that is not necessary.
Now Nintendo wants you to be creative, unique (or create some sort of brand identity and carve niche into the audience), and profitable (so general breakdown of how and what you’d sell and to whom would be neat also Why).

What New IP inspired by current trends can Nintendo make? OR what existing IP needs more consideration for modernization? Who isn’t served and how would you gain them, and how would you profit from them? How many IPs do we make? Do we make a new imprint, akin to DC and Vertigo or Viz or the Viz Signature line and other similar divisions to avoid association backfire? Will these be the traditional lockdown proprietary mascots or preliminary creations to prep the move to more universal multiplatform stuff to batten down for the coming of the Cloud or at least the foreseen death of the console.
Who is missing an IP Nintendo could court? The shooter fen who made Modern Warfare a virtual cultural phenomenon? We can agree the minigame collections aren’t.. well if not bad than at least not underserved. If we go after the identified group, how are they part of the Nintendo base or how will we say buy the Wii U for themselves and they will be served on it? What platform WILL you release this for, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS, iOS?
What does the new IP do for the console? What is its Genre? Who, if anyone, is its star? What’s the general rating and cotent?

martikhoras

Banned
A post E3 2012 bump. Especially as we have two upcoming new things and an overall malaise to the reveals but more promise with the console (Last Story ftw!, two pads, nintendoland, god save the queen)

martikhoras

Banned
Bump for response to New Super Mario Brothers 2 restarting the man its gettting olds... again so more. and Celebration of the release of Last Story in the US (though no talking on that front... funny)

My opinion. Yeah Nintendo can't treat the 2d sidescrolling platformer as dead genre it has come about again and some marvelous competition in stuff like that note game on vita, super meatboy, Rayman's two things. Mario's still the standard, make no mistake but even Call of Duty and the sports games try to limit themselves to once every 12 months not thrice and two within four months of each other. Of course you'll look like you're spinning your wheels.

Ryan All

Validated User
I want Super Mario Kombat Bros. On the wii U. Fatalities would be done by using the GamePad, like ZombiU

... And I didnt realize how big a bump this was! Sorry!

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heck, you don't even need to create new stuff, just embrace quality spinoffs.

For example, there was a recent-ish side-crolling adventure starring Princess Peach that sold out quickly. It had weakspots, like her having the power to cry, so no badguy could hurt her while crying, and 'Emotional Powerups', but, the concept behind it (Let the princess be the hero for once!) is a good one and could easily be expanded on.

You start it off easily enough: Following in the footsteps of her father, Wendy O. Koopa decides that she needs a husband, so hatches a plan... she kidnaps Mario (And has Bird-o capture Luigi, why not?) and plans on making him marry her in a grand ceremony. Princess Peach (And Daisy, for two-player mode) won;'t have it, so gear up and charge off to the rescue.

The Princess(es) will have different abilities than Mario and Luigi, but can be given some depth and expansion. Peach gets to be the more athletic, with a trademark parasol being a quality fighting weapon (Just ask John Steed of the Avengers!), while Daisy can be the 'wacky inventor' type, with oddball gadgets (many of which explode). Give them challenges not unlike Mario faces and let 'em rip.

ryven

softie
Validated User
Things Nintendo doesn't have:

-Giant robots
-Strategy games

So, I would make a strategy game about giant robots. But Nintendo games need identifiable characters, not faceless 'mech pilots!

So, here's the pitch: an engineer awakens from cryosleep to find that her escape pod has landed on an unexplored Earthlike world. Or at least, her map shows that this system is unexplored... so what's that massive structure in the distance? It turns out to be an extremely advanced factory, capable of autonomously assembling robots of various types on spec. That's good! Unfortunately you're light-years from inhabited space, so you'll need to find an ansible if you want to get home.

Here's the gameplay: the robots need guidance to carry out the tasks you need them to perform. Rather than pull out to some kind of strategy view, we pull in to see Our Heroine writing code. The player has access to a powerful AI scripting language for determining robot behaviors. I'm thinking Code Hero does Logic Quest 3D. You have to get your robots exploring and gathering materials, which you can use to build more robots and equipment, and hopefully find out what this planet's deal is. Of course, the planet is also full of strangely hostile robots that would like nothing more than to eat your creations for scrap, so you're going to end up having to conquer and defend territory.

I'm envisioning most of the action unfolding from a third-person perspective - if you want to find out what your robots are doing, you'll have to follow them around, or equip them with cameras and transmitters so you can see what they're doing from your base. Exploring on foot gives you a chance to check out the lay of the land, see what challenges your bots will need to be able to deal with, and interact with bits of alien life or technology that your robots are too crude to deal with properly. I think that piloting robots should probably be out of the question - if you can just assume control of a robot at any time, you might get through the game without having to learn anything. Instead, I see Our Heroine using ancillary devices to direct robots in the field, like flares or a laser designator.

The best thing, of course, is that you can cross over with Metroid later.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I'd take the Nintendo licenses, then steal shamelessly from Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts plus Carnage Hearts, that Microsoft game whose name I can't remember but involves simple programming, etc. Make it for the Wii U, 3DS, and have a web-client (mobile and regular).

Basically, you can make and modify thingies (BK:N&B) and play with them, program thingies to do things and accomplish goals (CH, that MS game, etc), trade programs and thingies, and even have a sandbox mode. Instead of difficulty modes (normal, hard, etc), I would have it divided by relative grade levels or something like that, with each level up unlocking more and more complex tools and parts. These things could be based on math, logic, maybe find a way to work in language skills, etc.

I would aim this at the educational and hobbyist markets. A tie-in with Lego might be good, too.

ryven

softie
Validated User
Chikahiro, we are totally on the same wavelength. Nintendo should take this as a sign of strong market support for program-your-own-toys games and act accordingly. :)

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Chikahiro, we are totally on the same wavelength. Nintendo should take this as a sign of strong market support for program-your-own-toys games and act accordingly. :)
Well, given the sheer number of high-tech visas being requested annually, I think its more of seeing a need and filling it.

Oh, as for the web client? Microsoft is already ahead on this...
https://www.touchdevelop.com/

There are also ones for Android, although I don't remember who does them (there's at least one being done by a university).

Vargen

Validated User
Things Nintendo doesn't have:

-Strategy games
For the record, Pikmin 2's multiplayer mode was a darn good RTS.

I'd still play the hell out of your giant robot programming game; just want to give the Pikmin series its due.

Top Bottom