• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

"No one can be told what the Matrix is" - "complicated" media that isn't

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
remeber that Leia didn't start out with Force powers and didn;t show even a hint of them until near the end of the second movie
When did Leia show any sing of Force power in ESB?
I'm actually curious since that pretty much must have been a fluke, as Leia wasn;t the "the other one" will Lucas relized that was no palce to introduce Luke's twin sister in RotJ and had to make Leia his twin sister (since she was the only significant female character).

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
That's explicitly Luke reaching out to Leia. That's Luke's power.
After learning that they're siblings, upon every subsequent re-watching of ESB I've been unable to not see it as Leia being particularly sensitive to the Force because of her ancestry. I don't care if Lucas didn't intend it that way, it's the much better interpretation.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
That's explicitly Luke reaching out to Leia. That's Luke's power.
When I watched it I always assumed that Luke could only reach Leia because of her connection to the force. Same way Vader could sense Kenobi and such. Now if it’s not meant to be that okay, but it’s certainly what it looked like and what I thought.

Asklepios

Validated User
Has Metal Gear Solid come up yet? I think the first two games have a reputation for complexity that is ultimately a bit overblown once one takes the events in each carefully and in the proper order. 2 especially; I think that game may have been described as hard to follow, when it might be more accurate to say that it consists of several people being obtuse to the protagonist in-character in ways and for reasons that are ultimately fairly straightforward. Sure, the Colonel starting to spout gibberish feels really uncanny when it's new and you're experiencing it firsthand, but it's not exactly a huge leap once it's made clear that Raiden was being guided around the whole time by an AI that is not malfunctioning.
To me, all the chat in this thread about Kingdom Hearts' complexity had me thinking that said games were nowhere near as confusing as the Metal Gear serie

I've played through all the five main titles, but I basically still have almost no idea what is going on. I know that there's this Boss, and Big Boss, and Solid Snake, and Solidus Snake, and Liquid Snake, and whatever... I just have no clue what their relation to each other is. I'm not even sure which one I'm playing at any given time.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
After learning that they're siblings, upon every subsequent re-watching of ESB I've been unable to not see it as Leia being particularly sensitive to the Force because of her ancestry. I don't care if Lucas didn't intend it that way, it's the much better interpretation.
Huh, I've always interpreted it as being because of the familial connection itself, not her specific Force sensitivity. But I didn't realize until just now that she wasn't Luke's sister when that was written, since I saw RotJ first.

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The way it's written, Luke explicitly calls out to Leia, so it makes sense that she's the one that hears it. Whether that can or should be read as a hint to her force potential is up to the viewer.

(Also, it's Lando who spots him hanging from the struts under Cloud City.)

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think one of the things at issue here is that "complicated" is an overloaded term. It can mean hard to understand, hard to explain, hard to describe, hard to describe concisely...

There's the basic sense that a complicated thing presents a difficulty to communication, but the exact nature of that difficulty is very subjective.
I think people often conflate complicated and ambiguous.

E.g. Inception is in its own right a fairly straightforward, uncomplicated narrative, but also deliberately ambiguous on many points which does complicate interpretation and discussion of it.

taschoene

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Huh, I've always interpreted it as being because of the familial connection itself, not her specific Force sensitivity. But I didn't realize until just now that she wasn't Luke's sister when that was written, since I saw RotJ first.
The sequel novel Splinter of a Mind's Eye was written not long after the movie, and has some pretty blatant Luke-Leia romance plot happening (also, no Solo or Millennium Falcon because Harrison Ford hadn't signed a multi-picture deal). It gives a look at what Star Wars might hae been if the first movie hadn't been such a huge success.

Top Bottom