• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Nobilis 3E, Recruiting] The 2014 Winter Asunder Games!

Maerok

Validated User
The Predicament!
So I'd like to run a game of Nobilis. This is my first shot at running the game in 3E so any relatively new players to the system can expect less of an immediate emphasis on the finer details of the setting for now. We'll be doing a one-off event but if the mood so strikes we can continue from there until your inevitable demise.

The Premise!
After a last minute reschedule, you're one of the privileged few (read: unlucky bastards) in Creation to have accepted Meon's rain check on his infamous unicorn hunt. Whether you're in to win it, looking to halt the blood-shed, or just out to show off there's at least an open bar.

This time around the festivities are being graciously hosted at Locus Automne, the tree-ridden sprawl and heartland of Alchemy, Autumn, Crystal, and Rivers (*). This is a big deal as the Imperator Automne and its domain have been cloistered since the dawn of the Third Age. A Ymera shut-in would be little to speak about except that this Chancel backs the Valde Bellum by exporting a huge wealth of alchemical reagents to organizations like the Cleave and flower enthusiasts alike: "If a flower ever bloomed, it blooms to its last before Automne."

If any special rules for the engagement are chosen by Desecration's Regal then they will be announced on-site. Prizes are said to be elaborate but one never opens the gift bags.

*Barring whatever Estates you all pick up.

The Scapegoats PCs!
You have 26 character points at your disposal. That's enough extra to buy yourself something nice but not enough to rock the boat with extra Attribute point. I'll need a full Lifepath/Avatar Diagram - even singular events are never isolated from Noble-level baggage. Anchors and most aids will be allowed into Locus Automne.

We'll be using Projects/Destiny as normal. Imperial Miracles will begin to start to take effect as soon as declared but shouldn't be counted on for immediate conflicts.

Chancels and Imperators will be hashed out for whomever stays after the event. You may declare any details now though and you all do not have to be in a singular Familia.

And as for numbers, four or five PCs would be good: put up Estates and some Properties first along with a general sense of your character.

Insertname

Validated User
Sounds good. I'll get a character or two pitched when I get a chance. Probably later tonight. Might have to wait till tomorrow if sleep insists.

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
Would a power of Time Travel with the excellent Estate Properties created by Maxen M be too much trouble?

Time Travel
1 seems elegant at first
2 makes a lot of mess
1 doesn't have proper beginnings or ends
1 solves problems with other problems
1 leads to personal revelations
1 is surprisingly easy!

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm intrigued.

Let me run through Lifepaths a few times, maybe I'll come up with something.

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
First concept:

Arthur Kingsley

Arthur Kingsley is the power of Legends. He is not, he will hasten to add, King Arthur or his reincarnation or related to him in any way, shape, or form* but he does suspect that his name was at least part of the reason his Imperator chose him.

He's here because - seriously? You need to ask? It's a Unicorn Hunt, for Goodness' sake. How could a Hero - nay, a Knight! - turn away from a Quest such as this? And yes, he often Capitalizes Important Words.

He does, though, have some ulterior motives that he does not speak out loud, capitalized or otherwise. Hunting unicorns is all well and good - a time-honored legend. You can lure them - maidens are traditional -or even capture them. But, you know... you shouldn't actually kill one. He considers unicorns to be something he is responsible for, so he's here to make sure no one... breaks the rules.

*... probably. He thinks.

Legends are...

... not real (1)
... larger than life (3)
... what we wish were true (2)
... tell us of ourselves (1)

Spoiler: Show

Arthur's Keys are...Wild Oats (hedonist) and
Chamomile (hero)

Arthur is - or, at least, presents himself as - a Hero, a walking Legend. A being that rises above humanity, but not so far above as to be alien and unreachable. He lives life as one in love with it, samples of all the best things in it, rushes headlong from one glorious adventure to another, and in every respect looks like someone determined to live life to the absolute fullest and have as much fun as possible along the way.

And to some extent that's true.

Arthur is...Something Cool (larger than life)

Everything Arthur does is epic. Even opening a door is something he makes look good. He's not perfect, but even his screwups are big and glorious. He is a human writ large but also, therefore, fundamentally human.

Legends are from the...Light Side of Human Experience (surrounded by wonder)

People are inspired and amazed by Legends. People tell stories of what they would love to be the case. And even our darkest myths exist to benefit ourselves.

Arthur is surrounded by the stuff of Legend. Fantastic beasts are his, and mythic regalia also. The finest wine to have ever existed is literally a finger-snap away. Anything that can be dreamed of he possesses, and so he is the subject of envy and wonder (less so to his peers, of course, but to humanity he is in part the embodiment of their dreams).

Legends are... something you can describe (what you dream of being)

Legends are not real. Not grounded in existence, or bound by common sense. The characters of myth are not so much humans as the idea and ideal of humanity, and so, to some extent, it is - must be - with Arthur.

Arthur lived a...humble life (used to ordinary things)

Arthur was a nobody before he became a power. He went to a middle-of-the-road school and got a middle-of-the-road job and lived in a middle-of-the-road apartment. He had no big dreams or great ambitions. He was, in a word, and ordinary person.

Secretly there is a part of him that sort of misses that. Just a teeny bit. It's just... sometimes, he would like to curl up on a couch with a good book, or go for a walk, or hang out on an internet forum and chat about video games. Whatever.

But he can't do that, right? It would be a betrayal of what he stands for and what he is. I mean, have you ever heard the Legend of the guy who curled up on a couch and read a book all day?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

The legacy of that life was... Transformation (its all just an act)

Arthur is a Legend in the making and in the telling. He knows this, in his heart and soul.

It's exhausting sometimes, you know?

Arthur attracts people to him. Admirers, envious snakes, loyal followers, and so on. People become swept up and part of his story. Whether he wants them to or not.

Arthur is... of the Wild (supposed to be free)

Arthur sings the song of the Wild. He is not bound by common sense, nor by the laws of this world, but is only himself and the expression of himself. (But if he is free to do what he wants, shouldn't he do what he wants?)

Note

Arthur needs one more Contact. Wild Oats suggests 'Corrupting Influence', but I'm not hot about that. Chamomile suggests 'True Love' and, well, I'd like to hash out something there.

Spoiler: Show

Mortal Skills

Hero 4
Guile 2
Be Awesome 1
Enjoy Life 1
Cool 2 (from Aspect)
Shine 5 (from Persona)

Bonds and Afflictions

Bond: I must be a Living Legend 5
Bond: I own a fine but surprisingly non-legendary sword 1 (mundane anchor)
Affliction: I am of good heart 3
Affliction: People around me become part of my story 1

more to come!

Attributes

Aspect 2 (5 AMP)
Domain 0 (5 DMP)
Persona 5 (5 PMP)
Treasure 0 (5 TMP)

Gifts

Glorious
Durant
Elusive
Immutable

Last edited:

Maerok

Validated User
Would a power of Time Travel with the excellent Estate Properties created by Maxen M be too much trouble?

Time Travel
1 seems elegant at first
2 makes a lot of mess
1 doesn't have proper beginnings or ends
1 solves problems with other problems
1 leads to personal revelations
1 is surprisingly easy!
I'll consider it. How fast and loose does the Power of Time Travel work?

Insertname

Validated User
Actually, question:

Since we're not doing a traditional Familia set up, could I pitch a Deceiver as laid out in Antithesis (a Warmaine might make more sense, what with the competitive aspect, but Deceivers have the advantage of having rules for PCs)?

I'm thinking of Meon inviting an Excrucian (or more, maybe NPC contestants) along in order to prove a point about Creation, saiting some mutual curiosity, or else maybe just settling an old wager. Naturally, tensions are high when such a competitor is thrown in.

Although, some of how this would work depends on whether we are competing to hunt down the unicorn, or acting together in the hunt.

Cyrith

The Emerald Flame
Validated User
I've been hoping a new Nobilis thread would pop up. One game is not enough.

I'm thinking of either a Power of Archery(which I haven't statted yet) and a Power of Sexuality(who is). Any great feeling one way or another, I should I keep trying on concepts?

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
Alright, so here's my basic idea for a Noble of Time Travel.

He'll be sort of like the Doctor as understood by someone who doesnot watch the show (I do not). A lot of hijinks and mayhem and incredibly vague and contradictory time travel rules. He'll have a Bond called "Just making this up as I go along!" Or something like that, to reference the general inconsistency of Time Travel, in general. Sometimes he can team up with his doubles, other times "Grave consequences!" will occur if he is even spotted. Killing Hitler will sometimes change history, but often it'll just cause a timeline split, and sometimes it will summon Timecops!

In terms of his role, time travel will be more of a "scene change" than a complicated combat maneuver. He'll mostly stck to the primary timeline, using ghost miracles to show evidence of past actions ("... Why is your face carved into this 7000 year old tomb?" "Funny story that!"), and higer level miracles to create Bill and Ted-esque manipulations or gate past or future hims into the current timeline. Also, he'll have a bond that says he can't actively time travel witout some sort of time machine/technique so that'll further reduce the potential for non-humorous headaches.

Mechanically, I'm thinking high Treasure, with a collection of time travel devices and a collection of past and future selves as two important Anchors. I'm liking the idea of him having a Delorean one minute, a time turner the next, using transcendental Tibetan meditation next, and then popping into a TARDIS and taking off. It makes me giggle.

Top Bottom