• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Nobilis Elegant Discussion Thread, v11.0

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
Alright, so, once again (with feeling!) this is the place where we talk about Nobilis!

If you've been too nervous to hop in and ask questions, make statements, share information, or otherwise just join in the conversation, now's the perfect time! The slate is wiped clean! The thread is reborn! It doesn't matter what we were talking about before...

Here's a list of what we were talking about before!
  • Ideas for the Estate properties of Wind and Quiet Things
  • What sorts of currency actually get USED in Exalted games, and how do you set prices with it?
  • Video game characters, Nobilis, and such
  • The best point allocations if you're a kid from a dead world with an amazing narrator
And here's the link back to the last thread: Nobilis Elegant Discussion Thread, Part Ten

I think that's pretty much everything we need to get this started.

Last edited:

Slybrarian

Self-Replicating Machine
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Are you stuck in a conversation that seems to go in endless circles? Is Rick O'Summer trying to recruit you for a suicide assault on Genseric Dace's Mobile Enlightenment Fortress? Are you at yet another party and Joktan won't stop critiquing your clothes? Well, here's the gift for you.

I Should Go Now
Lesser Destruction of Conversations (5), Simple Miracle (-1), One Thing Only (-2), One Trick (-3), Rare (+1) = 1 CP

Just say the four magic words and walk away. Warning: may make you look a bit weird. Find that useful? Don't forget to also try out I'm the Power of $ESTATE and This Is My Favorite Store In The Chancel (Lesser Creation of Bargains) the next time you're out shopping.

Last edited:

Maxen M

Somewhere off to the side
Validated User
I think I may have an acronym for the latest nobilis edition, it's the FGB, standing for either the "feel good book", or the "field guide book", because it's obviously much more conversational than the last book and more sympathetic and friendly to the various different factions, much less "new chancels need 100 deaths", more "devils aren't so bad really, unless you get to know them".

Isator Levie

Validated User
I've been thinking about Bonds and Afflictions, and it's got me wondering:

If you were to have a Bond of "I can never die", would that mean that your own life (or death?) would be a viable target for Treasure miracles?

Valtiel

The most dangerous mistress
Validated User

If you were to have a Bond of "I can never die", would that mean that your own life (or death?) would be a viable target for Treasure miracles?
Well, you'd need to specify that you'd successfully anchored your own death, and decide what kind of actions your death was capable of performing with Treasure miracles. I think anchoring your death makes more sense here - it's either that you've made yourself immortal and thus defeated your death (and subsequently anchored it as a useful side effect), or that you defeated and anchored your death and made yourself immortal as a consequence of that.

Isator Levie

Validated User
If it's a Bond, the assumption is more that you're trying to continuously make yourself not die than actually being incapable of dying, isn't it?

Valtiel

The most dangerous mistress
Validated User
Oh, silly me. Of course. For you to actually be incapable of dying it would have to be an Affliction.

...that said, one of the ways to survive losing all your health levels* is to throw yourself wholeheartedly into sustaining a Bond; so you could achieve that simply by working really really hard at not being dead. Which is a really odd edge-case of the rules; but there it is!

* Note, it is perfectly possible to die without losing all of your health levels, either by taking the Wound "I'm dead!" (in which case, you can still act in limited ways, and you'll get better), or by not objecting to a miracle that kills you (which it's unlikely you'll want to do, but it's theoretically possible).

Maxen M

Somewhere off to the side
Validated User

A good question, an avatar (PC) themselves can never be a treasure, but naturally attached wings can apparently be a treasure gift, so yes, that would probably work. To make it effective and satisfying though you'd need to have some way that your life or death is separate from you. Maybe you've stripped your mortality out of yourself and made another creature from it, and it hangs around like death in the early rincewind novels, but perhaps more antagonistic (as a weird note, seen as you can sustain yourself on a bond, I could imagine someone sustaining themselves from a deathly wound by chatting to their death that has come to end them [edit- ninja'd!]). You'd probably want to make it more visceral for that though, like "I always outsmart my own death" "my death cannot catch me" "I am too friendly with death to die" or something like that.

Last edited:

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In this case, my interest is more in how far Treasure can go into a given Bond.
Treasure doesn't quite work like that. It works on Anchors, not Bonds. It happens to be that the rules are that to Anchor something you need to have a Bond to it. It's possible to have other conditions - in my Chuu-bilis hack, I also let people Anchor something if they have a 3+ Connection to it, like Sentimental in Chuubo's.

If you have a Bond but not a clear idea of what the associated Anchor is, then using Treasure miracles will be hard. It's not like Bonds themselves are targets for Treasure miracles.

Top Bottom