• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Nobilis Elegant Discussion Thread, v11.0

GoldenH

Darmok & Gilad at Tenagra
Validated User
It's pretty clear to me... Punching all the prose in the world until it turns purple

CrownedSun

Validated User
Close; it's specifically about Strategists who've opted out of actively destroying Creation. What they actually do in the game we don't yet know.
Awww, no Warmains or Decievers? That makes me sad.

...still, definitely gonna have to get this, but still. XD

zenten

Validated User
Is there a way for the project system to still work if a player wants horrible things for their PC that the PC does not want?

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Is there a way for the project system to still work if a player wants horrible things for their PC that the PC does not want?
The book says "Something becomes a Project when you want it to change your character’s story, or to be a story that someone will tell of your character long after they are gone" (emphasis added). So it should work fine with the player making their avatar have all sorts of nasty things happen.

zenten

Validated User
The book says "Something becomes a Project when you want it to change your character’s story, or to be a story that someone will tell of your character long after they are gone" (emphasis added). So it should work fine with the player making their avatar have all sorts of nasty things happen.
Huh. I really wish I had caught that before. Thanks!

Maxen M

Somewhere off to the side
Validated User
I have some misgivings about whether a project will feel right, when the payoff for suffering is more suffering rather than agency, (just based on what earns destiny) but I think it's worth trying.

I'm imagining something a little like reverse projects, where instead of getting destiny from setbacks, you get destiny for negative projects by having moments where we can empathise with your character, or where they build connections to other people, or something like that. But as you still get destiny for anything particularly emotionally resonant, it may be fine.

Skycroft

Space Wizard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would have to say both yes and no. As in "yes, the Project system is supposed to be able to do that too" but also "no, I don't think the Project system will actually do that well at all". But then, I don't think Projects work very well for anything other than in character large scale endeavors, for a bunch of reasons.

I did have some hacks to make the Project system better back in the day, but these days Jenna has done the work already and one can use Chuubo's Quests. If you don't have Chuubo's than Maxen M' suggestions are kind of halfway there already.

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Quests and Arcs are a definite improvement over projects. But I do think one where only horrible things happen to the Power can work as a story. My first thought is actually you could regard Jesus or Prometheus as powers who undertook projects which succeeded, but had horrible results for themselves and ambiguous results for humanity.

Top Bottom